PDA

View Full Version : Dropping school runs

mumofone
06-03-2016, 10:06 AM
I really want to drop the school runs for the older children I do as I am juggling little ones with older ones and find it tough as I work alone. Don't know how I can go about This though without annoying parents of schoolies...
Happy to continue providing holiday care for them.
Has anyone done this or got any advice or tips? Thank you :-)

Mouse
06-03-2016, 10:24 AM
I would give plenty of notice to allow parents time to make alternative arrangements. Pick a convenient point in the school year (Easter, half term, summer holidays) and say that from that date you will no longer be doing school runs.

It's bound to upset some parents, but there's not much you can do about that. You'll run the risk of them taking their child somewhere else for the holidays as well, but you can always look for people needing holiday only care.

I gave up doing school runs once my own children were older. At first I missed seeing everyone in the playground and having that bit of routine to the day, but I soon found we developed new routines which didn't revolve around clock watching and dragging little ones out in all weathers. The first bad storm of the year convinced me I'd done the right thing as we all stayed dry indoors and watched everyone else battling through the wind and rain!

One of my selling points now is that I don't do school runs and it has brought me extra business from parents who don't want their little ones being ferried backwards and forwards to school.

Maza
06-03-2016, 10:49 AM
Don't worry about it - they (probably) wouldn't worry about you if they decided to drop the school run. I don't mean to sound horrible towards parents but I have come to realise it is true. An after school club near me closed (ages ago) and the parents had to find alternative arrangements- it happens. I know it feels more personal when it is you as a sole worker dropping it, but it will only be a temporary awkwardness - much better for you and your family in the long term.

As Mouse said, give plenty of notice and you could also do a bit of research into local after school clubs or other childminders who could do pick ups from the local school. I also agree with Mouse that some parents like the fact that their little one doesn't have to do the school run.

Funnily enough, I had the opposite dilemma. When my DD started school I suddenly had to obviously do a school run. Her school is in the next village and I don't drive. It meant I would have to wake the little one up from his nap some days to take him on a bus and the whole thing could take more than an hour in total. I was convinced the parents would drop me and I agonised over how to tell them. After rewriting an email about fifty times, they responded with "Oh fantastic! X loves buses and we hardly get the chance to take him on one!" It turned out to be the highlight of his day. Sorry to have gone off on a tangent again, but don't worry and do what you have to do.

bunyip
06-03-2016, 11:15 AM
Good advice there from Mouse.

Also, is there an alternative CM or after-school care setting who can pick up the schoolies you're dropping?

Just be aware there's only so much you can do to soften the blow and don't let parents bully/blackmail you into doing it once your mind is made up. You have sound reasons for the decision. As Mouse says, it can make you more appealing for EY care.

I'm not a big fan of doing school runs and I choose my clients very carefully. I dislike mixing big, boisterous schoolies with the little ones. I also find it is very difficult when a child starts a new school and a new CM simultaneously. I have to do school runs for grandchildren as and when required , plus I have a few schoolies who were with me as EY children. I just turned down someone who wants 3 schoolies to start with me in September.

One word of caution. Part of the appeal of a CM to some parents is that we can (if we choose) offer continuity from birth through and into their school years. Many parents will assume you'll take their child to school when the time comes, particularly if you've done school runs previously. Of course, it's never right for a client to simply assume anything, but I think you'd do well to make things clear so as to avoid any unpleasant misunderstandings at a later date.

Mouse
06-03-2016, 11:34 AM
One word of caution. Part of the appeal of a CM to some parents is that we can (if we choose) offer continuity from birth through and into their school years. Many parents will assume you'll take their child to school when the time comes, particularly if you've done school runs previously. Of course, it's never right for a client to simply assume anything, but I think you'd do well to make things clear so as to avoid any unpleasant misunderstandings at a later date.

That's a very good point. I was contacted this week by a mum who has 2 EYs children who would have been perfect for me for September, but she has specifically said that she plans for them to go to X school eventually and is looking for a childminder who will be able to take them. She still wants to come and see me, but I'm having to stress the point that I won't do the school runs.

blue bear
06-03-2016, 11:59 AM
I gave notice to my school children last week. It's taken me two years to actually do it but I'm so tired, I live at the top of the hill and it's broken me :( .
I will continue for this accademic year so they have seven months notice. There is a school nearer to me and if any of them want to swap to that I would do that school run. I have also made it clear I will do the holiday on an as and when required basis if I can fit them in (that way I can still say no if I need to)

One parent was fine "you need to do what you need to do...."

The other two were gob smacked and I feel awful. :(

samb
06-03-2016, 08:14 PM
I dropped infant school runs 2 years ago. I did this for personal reasons for my family and all understood although were of course a bit put out. I helped as much as I could with finding alternative care for the children. I still do junior school as my dd goes there but now my ds is in a school where we have to be at home for his transport for school so I can't do infant school pick ups anyway. I've had siblings since June last year whose mum just asked to change hours after Easter. I was surprised as eldest starts school sept so I'd thought she would stick with the hours til he went to school and then change. I questioned her and she was shocked I didn't do infant runs. I never have since they started, it states in all my paperwork what I do and she hasn't questioned it and is now panicking about needing to change hours now and then find another mindee in sort. She said its only one day a week so surely I can fit it in. I'm by sure how they expect us to be in 2 places st once. I have politely said I can't and given her numbers of other minders. I will be sad to lose the kids early but I can't do what isn't possible!