PDA

View Full Version : World Book Day...

Mouse
02-03-2016, 08:28 PM
...are you dressing up, or encouraging the children to?

I have seen lots of photos on FB and I have to say, some of the costumes are very impressive.

My sewing skills are rather basic, so I'm very relieved my children are too old for it now. I think they'd feel very let down by what I could come up with :p:laughing:

singingcactus
02-03-2016, 08:35 PM
The kids coming here aren't dressing up....well.....anymore than usual anyway. My son is going to school as young sherlock, on friday cos that's when our school is celebrating it.

Lal
02-03-2016, 08:36 PM
My daughter's school have invited the pupils to come to school in their PJs and bring their favourite bedtime story. I have invited my mindees to come as their favourite story character or as a character they would like to make a book about.

kellib
02-03-2016, 08:46 PM
My son is on a school trip tomorrow so no costume needed, thankfully! I've sent him in pjs before as one of the Darling boys from Peter Pan :laughing:

Not sure if mindees are doing anything at their various nurseries and schools, they certainly haven't mentioned anything

loocyloo
02-03-2016, 09:25 PM
We're not particularly doing anything here - just reading lots of books as usual. the world book day website has some nice bits on it, and if I have time, I might watch some of the videos!

DD is going to school as the Mad Hatter - DH had the hat from something ages ago, and she has found a waistcoat and scarf ( bow tie ) in dressing up box, teamed with a pair of bright trousers and long sleeved tshirt. and HURRAH! it is the last year !!!!

This a photo from a few years ago when the theme was 'magic' ... it was great - our town was full of witches & wizards everywhere you looked! I think it was my favourite world book day ever!

Maza
02-03-2016, 10:06 PM
Loocyloo that's gorgeous. I love photos of the backs of kids, they always look so sweet. Not that they don't look sweet from the front, lol.

In my DD's school they have to take in a favourite book and a favourite cuddly toy to read their book to. No dressing up this year. Last year she went as Silky from the Magic Faraway Tree - just a random fairy dress and long blonde wig. We made a basket full of google buns, toffee shocks, hot cold sweets etc out of different coloured scented playdough.

k1rstie
03-03-2016, 07:02 AM
We're not particularly doing anything here - just reading lots of books as usual. the world book day website has some nice bits on it, and if I have time, I might watch some of the videos! DD is going to school as the Mad Hatter - DH had the hat from something ages ago, and she has found a waistcoat and scarf ( bow tie ) in dressing up box, teamed with a pair of bright trousers and long sleeved tshirt. and HURRAH! it is the last year !!!! This a photo from a few years ago when the theme was 'magic' ... it was great - our town was full of witches & wizards everywhere you looked! I think it was my favourite world book day ever!

The magic theme is great, thanks for posting the picture.
I like these events when there is very little cost involved. It should not be a competition to see who can buy the best costume. Something like book day should just be fun.

My daughter is almost 10, and is going as Sully from Monsters zinc, because her older sister has a big Sully onesie! She went as kernite the frog last time, as again we had a onesie. That had big, long feet. She had to wear my croc sandals so the feet could poke out the front!

bunyip
03-03-2016, 05:39 PM
The magic theme is great, thanks for posting the picture.
I like these events when there is very little cost involved. It should not be a competition to see who can buy the best costume. Something like book day should just be fun.

My daughter is almost 10, and is going as Sully from Monsters zinc, because her older sister has a big Sully onesie! She went as kernite the frog last time, as again we had a onesie. That had big, long feet. She had to wear my croc sandals so the feet could poke out the front!

I agree. Thus I was saddened and disappointed when I tried to register for this year's WBD.

I'd previously had the vouchers to exchange for books to give to mindees at no cost. I don't recall the exact figure, but when I spoke to the organisers a few months ago they were demanding a silly fee (£30 ? was it?) to send me £8 of vouchers. I'll simply be going to my local (radical) bookshop to buy or order children's books to give away for a fraction of the cost of WBD registration.

Even our local library has been unable to support the event. The librarian told me WBD had wanted some crazy money for the 'events pack' of posters, bookmarks, flyers, etc.

I was so cross to see the number of supermarkets cashing in on the event to sell ranges of children's costumes. I guess the only good thing is they'll all be reduced within a week or 2: this week, some of the mums at my toddler group were discussing a trip to Asda to look for them at clearance prices.

Putting my gripes aside, I must say I'm impressed with our local school for once. The new head seems to have noticed the supermarket cash-in and immediately announced that children could go in any costume and it didn't have to book-themed. He suggested 'animals' but would accept anything, especially with a book theme. He also suggested parents should avoid superheroes, reportedly to avoid the escalating superhero play-fights. QUite a refreshing change from the old head, so at least one good outcome. :thumbsup:

k1rstie
03-03-2016, 05:48 PM
Our school has banned football kits from world book day dressing up. My daughter did once go as the football fairy from the rainbow magic series of books

loocyloo
03-03-2016, 05:51 PM
I used to be sent WBD tokens for all the local childminders. Then I moved and was told they were only be given to children receiving nursery education with me and no where else and they would only send them with proof!
Last time I tried to register I was told no.

I bought a selection of books from poundshop and all mindees have chosen one to take home and we made bookmarks.

Our WBD is tomorrow. School has been saying that they don't want to see 'bought' outfits and have been encouraging the children to design their own. I was talking to a mum this morning who said she had no money to buy any costumes ...
So along with another mum and TA we suggested a pretty dress and teddy/bowl to be goldilocks, normal clothes plus hat/scarf and a golden ticket for Charlie Bucket, normal clothes and bucket of dinosaurs (Harry and bucket of dinosaurs), pjs for a lost child, fairy for tinkerbelle and more ..
At pick up I over heard mum say 'right, let's drive to X (45 mins away) and see what costumes they have' !!!

Maza
03-03-2016, 07:32 PM
I'm also jumping on the bandwagon. I bet half the kids dressed in their princess dresses haven't even 'read' Rapunzel, or Beauty and The Beast etc. Sure they've seen the films and I have nothing against the princess dresses or Superman costumes if they have at least made some accessories or used their imagination just a tiny bit. My school his year have said that the children must come as a Roald Dahl character. To be honest I think that's a bit too restrictive and some of the reception children won't have read any of the books.

I must admit, it was very sweet seeing all the children dressed up this morning on the school run, even the shop bought costumes.

alex__17
03-03-2016, 10:01 PM
Our lower and junior schools had dress as your favourite book character - my son flatly refused to wear anything but school clothes to nursery (he's only 3 and not into wearing costumes for any length of time so I wasn't surprised!) but one after schooler age nearly 8 I collected was Hermione from Harry Potter with a wand, broomstick cape etc, and her friend was another witch so I said 'ah both witches' and they both argued hermione wasn't a witch - i have read the books and was fairly sure it was hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry, and asked if she'd read the books (read 1 a long time ago apparently), good costume but like the many cinderellas and other princesses I doubt they'd actually read the book!
I'm hoping when my own son does want to join in these things I can make something myself, although they only gave about a weeks notice for this so realistically I'm sure I'll be going through the dressing up box trying to match a costume to a book he's read and enjoys!