PDA

View Full Version : MAKING UP RHYMES

hectors house
02-03-2016, 01:30 PM
I have 2 x 4 year olds and need new ideas for promoting Rhyming - "create rhymes, e.g. making up alternative endings to a well-known rhyme or song & engage in creating nonsense rhymes"

We have a "find the rhyme puzzle", lots of Julia Donaldson rhyming books, we sing lots of Nursery rhymes, I encourage the children to think of another word that sounds like X - We have today looked at Spike Milligans "Ning Nong" poem and they have tried to make up own nursery rhymes but they just didn't rhyme!

eg: Moo, moo black cow,
have you any milk,
yes sir, yes sir
3 buckets full
One for the king
one for the queen
& one for the little cat
who lives down the lane.

Any suggestions on how I can promote rhyming activities without it being all my own work and then they are just learning a new nursery rhyme.

loocyloo
02-03-2016, 01:40 PM
Orchard toys do a brilliant game called 'slug in a jug'. We play it like pairs and you have to turn over cards and make a rhyming pair. (The cards are colour coded to help, but I find that generally the children don't notice the coding!)
Or we just look at the cards and make silly rhyming sentences.

BallyH
02-03-2016, 02:54 PM
When I re-read stories like 'green eggs n ham' I encourage them to name a different word at the end of the sentences on our 2nd read. A lot of the words don't exist or make sense but the sounds rhyme and that is a good enough start for me.

hectors house
02-03-2016, 10:45 PM
Orchard toys do a brilliant game called 'slug in a jug'. We play it like pairs and you have to turn over cards and make a rhyming pair. (The cards are colour coded to help, but I find that generally the children don't notice the coding!)
Or we just look at the cards and make silly rhyming sentences.

I checked who made my "find the rhyme" puzzle and it is Orchard - I knew it had a "slug in a jug" on it, as well as chick on a brick, pig in a wig, goat in a boat etc - maybe I could make my own lotto or pairs game using images from google.

loocyloo
03-03-2016, 07:12 AM
I checked who made my "find the rhyme" puzzle and it is Orchard - I knew it had a "slug in a jug" on it, as well as chick on a brick, pig in a wig, goat in a boat etc - maybe I could make my own lotto or pairs game using images from google.

:-)I've just found I have a rhyming lotto game from elc. One of those with a picture that you have to find the card pictures within it. (I have a box of rhyming activities that is borrowed and taken home) The slug in jug game has 4 rhyming words for each 'sound' and the idea is to make a sentence/story using all 4 words.
In the same box I also have 'you can swim Jim' a rhyming book and Dr Suess 'Wocket in my pocket'
X

leeloo1
07-03-2016, 07:29 AM
I did a language workshop (on Friday, so not tested this yet!) that said it's far easier for children to recognise rhymes than to generate them. Her advice was to 'saturate' children with nursery rhymes and rhyme yourself, then play with them (hickory dickory dock, the mouse ran up the sock) and gradually the children will start to do the same. :-)

hectors house
07-03-2016, 07:49 AM
Just shows that we don't switch off even at the weekend - yesterday on a day out I saw a sign outside a posh hotel that said "Two can dine for £45 with free bottle of wine" and I said to my husband that if they changed it to "Two can dine for £49 with free bottle of wine" they could have 3 rhyming words instead of 2!

Thank you leeloo1 for sharing the advice from your training - I will try that approach instead. :thumbsup:

BallyH
07-03-2016, 12:22 PM
Just shows that we don't switch off even at the weekend - yesterday on a day out I saw a sign outside a posh hotel that said "Two can dine for £45 with free bottle of wine" and I said to my husband that if they changed it to "Two can dine for £49 with free bottle of wine" they could have 3 rhyming words instead of 2!

Thank you leeloo1 for sharing the advice from your training - I will try that approach instead. :thumbsup:

How funny but if they'd said 'two can dine for £39 with a free bottle of wine' they would also be very busy!

loocyloo
09-03-2016, 07:30 AM
The importance of rhyme in early literacy development - The Imagination Tree (http://theimaginationtree.com/2016/03/the-importance-of-rhyme-in-early-literacy-development.html)

the imagination tree has just posted a very interesting read about rhyming, with ideas. :D

BallyH
09-03-2016, 09:30 AM
The importance of rhyme in early literacy development - The Imagination Tree (http://theimaginationtree.com/2016/03/the-importance-of-rhyme-in-early-literacy-development.html)

the imagination tree has just posted a very interesting read about rhyming, with ideas. :D

Thank you for sharing. A great article.