PDA

View Full Version : References

mumofone
01-03-2016, 08:46 AM
When children move on do you ask their parents to write you a reference or wait for one to be offered up?

Jessymax
01-03-2016, 09:02 AM
I would maybe ask if they had a minute to right a review on my chidcare profile of business facebook page? x

kellib
01-03-2016, 10:52 AM
I've asked one family to leave one on my childcare profile if they felt comfortable doing so, they left me a glowing report which was lovely of them.

I have 3 LO's leaving for school this summer so I'm going to ask those families too.

bunyip
01-03-2016, 06:24 PM
I don't go for written references, though I do put any 'thank-yous' etc in my comments book, which can be shown to Ofsted and prospective clients.

References tend to be of interest to prospective clients. I prefer to have a few parents who are happy to do a 'telephone reference'. This allows the prospective client to chat with the existing client and ask whatever they want, and get a candid answer. I always say I don't want either party to tell me anything said in the telephone call, just to know whther or not they made the call. The dialogue/Q&A approach is popular and successful as far as I can judge.

Simona
02-03-2016, 08:28 AM
Everyone is different of course...written references can be evidenced and put in your EYFS 'suitable people' portfolio...those on FB I am not sure how prospective parents can see them?

Parents often request to see references or be given names they can contact....same goes for cms who can get references for checking parents....it is a 2 way system!
Is this not in the off the shelf contracts?

Mouse
02-03-2016, 08:43 AM
I do the same as Bunyip. My thank you cards are displayed on the noticeboard with any more personal notes in a folder (eg. If they mention specific children or events that I wouldn't want just anyone to see.)

If prospective parents ask for a reference I arrange for them to have a phone conversation with a current parent or one who's recently left. As a parent I think I'd be more convinced by that than by a written reference, which quite honestly could be written by anyone.

Simona
02-03-2016, 08:52 AM
Again every cm is different...cards are useful but it is up to the parents to decide who they speak to for reference...we cannot pick and choose those they contact....sorry never heard of that.

I think that after years and years of providing a service to parents we could show we trust them to have written their references for us themselves...good grief why is everything so negative?

surely you could establish from the references if the parents have written them?

Mouse
02-03-2016, 10:00 AM
Again every cm is different...cards are useful but it is up to the parents to decide who they speak to for reference...we cannot pick and choose those they contact....sorry never heard of that.

I think that after years and years of providing a service to parents we could show we trust them to have written their references for us themselves...good grief why is everything so negative?

surely you could establish from the references if the parents have written them?

You've never heard of a prospective parent speaking to a current parent for a reference? I've done that for years and it's very common here. Prospective parents like to speak in person to someone who has used the service and it's a very valuable form of recommendation. I find it much more reliable than a written reference.

Why wouldn't you trust that a parent had written a reference themselves? I'm sure if you ask for one the parent will write it themselves. I don't think that's in question. My point was that if I was a parent looking to use a childminder I would much rather speak to someone in person than read a reference, which may or may not have come from a parent... Who is to say a childminder doesn't make one up (I do know of someone who has done that...and got friends who have never used her service to write them for her).

crumpet54
02-03-2016, 12:10 PM
I've got my existing parents to write a review on my Facebook page and my childcare.co.uk profile, i even had a parent who came for a visit (who's circumstances changed so didn't need childcare)she even wrote me a fantastic review on both fb page and childcare profile.

crumpet54
02-03-2016, 12:10 PM
I've got my existing parents to write a review on my Facebook page and my childcare.co.uk profile, i even had a parent who came for a visit (who's circumstances changed so didn't need childcare) she even wrote me a fantastic review on both fb page and childcare profile.

bunyip
02-03-2016, 06:30 PM

I do pick and choose who I give as a telephone reference.

There are two erstwhile clients whom I wouldn't want speaking to any future clients: at least not without the latter knowing just how neurotic the former are. In one case the mum gave notice and the dad asked me to refuse to accept the notice because he claimed she was crazy.

I offer two contacts for telephone references, and make sure at least one has been with me for a good long time and at least one is a similar situation to the client. So if someone wants school runs, I put them in touch with the mum of a schoolie. If they want care for a baby, I give them the number for a child I do/did look after as a baby. .....etc.

catswhiskers
02-03-2016, 09:11 PM
I usually ask parents to write a note/letter saying they're ending the contract on such and such a date etc. and then ask if they could add some comments which I could use as a reference. It's worked well for me with parents writing some lovely comments about my service and I let perspective parents see these.

I also give out a few ex/current parents numbers/emails (with permission) so that perspective parents can do that too.

Simona
03-03-2016, 09:36 AM
You've never heard of a prospective parent speaking to a current parent for a reference? I've done that for years and it's very common here. Prospective parents like to speak in person to someone who has used the service and it's a very valuable form of recommendation. I find it much more reliable than a written reference.

Why wouldn't you trust that a parent had written a reference themselves? I'm sure if you ask for one the parent will write it themselves. I don't think that's in question. My point was that if I was a parent looking to use a childminder I would much rather speak to someone in person than read a reference, which may or may not have come from a parent... Who is to say a childminder doesn't make one up (I do know of someone who has done that...and got friends who have never used her service to write them for her).

I think you have misunderstood/misinterpreted what I am saying Mouse...as has Bunyip....no worries.

bunyip
03-03-2016, 04:43 PM
I think you have misunderstood/misinterpreted what I am saying Mouse...as has Bunyip....no worries.

As you say, no worries.