PDA

View Full Version : how do you find an assistant

serin
29-02-2016, 10:43 PM
I am considering getting an assistant. Demand is high and I would like to expand my business. Could you please tell me how you all go about finding one? Do you go down the apprentice route or employ someone through the job centre?

Thanks

loocyloo
01-03-2016, 01:16 PM
when I needed an assistant, I thought about anyone I knew who might be suitable/interested and finally asked my neighbour. but it was just for 1 or 2 afterschools a week, so I wasn't worried about anyone needing qualifications/experience. She did have first aid though already. ( I then roped my mum into being my 'back up' assistant! )

I know other people have put adverts up/used the job centre, and I know there were a couple of childminders on the forum a while back who were investigating having an apprentice.

I'd be interested in the answers as I don't really want an assistant, but am thinking I might need someone for one day a week come September! I have a couple of acquaintances in mind that I might sound out after easter.

good luck.

Jessymax
01-03-2016, 02:23 PM
i thought an assistant had to have the same qualifications etc as us , first aid safe guarding dbs childcare? x

loocyloo
01-03-2016, 04:25 PM
i thought an assistant had to have the same qualifications etc as us , first aid safe guarding dbs childcare? x

They have to have a dbs, and only first aid if left unattended with the children. Safeguarding training wasn't statutory but I guess it might be now, or at least 'best practice'.
They didn't have to have any childcare qualifications just like now, someone can become a childminder having only done whatever the latest prescribed course is!

My neighbour had crb (as it was then) and first aid, plus knowledge of safeguarding. Her only child related experience was her own children and spending time with me! Since she stopped being my assistant (as I didn't need her anymore) she went on to become a dinner lady, support worker for children with additional needs and a children's swimming instructor! All of which I gave her references for!

bunyip
01-03-2016, 06:26 PM
Mine is easy to find. She kicks me in the ribs and demands coffee every morning. :p

Simona
02-03-2016, 08:24 AM
I am considering getting an assistant. Demand is high and I would like to expand my business. Could you please tell me how you all go about finding one? Do you go down the apprentice route or employ someone through the job centre?

Thanks

The best way would be to advertise for the position anywhere you feel it would attract interest.

before you do that please make sure you check the ins and outs of employing someone....especially regarding pensions and other issues which are changing for employees such as National Living Wage and their rights.

the alternative is you work with a co-minder...look into that too as it can be very successful ....good luck:thumbsup: