PDA

View Full Version : CM opening a nursery but feeling anxious

Starfish007
26-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Hi Guys

I came out of CMing 15 months ago to work for my local authority as an early years improvement officer, I love the job but miss working for myself.

I'm seriously thinking of opening my own nursery, Ive been to look at some premises today which are perfect.

Although the thought excites me and I am confident in all (or most) matters CMing the thought of opening and managing a nursery is scaring the stuffing out of me. Think its mainly the financial side and staffing.

Do I carry on with my job that I really enjoy or do I go for it! I do miss the buzz of working for myself?? Any advice warmly welcomed x

BallyH
26-02-2016, 07:09 PM
Hi Guys

I came out of CMing 15 months ago to work for my local authority as an early years improvement officer, I love the job but miss working for myself.

I'm seriously thinking of opening my own nursery, Ive been to look at some premises today which are perfect.

Although the thought excites me and I am confident in all (or most) matters CMing the thought of opening and managing a nursery is scaring the stuffing out of me. Think its mainly the financial side and staffing.

Do I carry on with my job that I really enjoy or do I go for it! I do miss the buzz of working for myself?? Any advice warmly welcomed x

Oh I have considered this before also, but for me it would be employing others that I just don't think I could handle. Plus I think it would be unrealistic of me to expect others to work as hard as I do and I think I would have trouble dealing with this. But I wish you luck in your new venture.

loocyloo
26-02-2016, 09:34 PM
Oh I have considered this before also, but for me it would be employing others that I just don't think I could handle. Plus I think it would be unrealistic of me to expect others to work as hard as I do and I think I would have trouble dealing with this. But I wish you luck in your new venture.

:-) :-) :-)

That is exactly how I feel!

Good luck xx

k1rstie
26-02-2016, 09:50 PM
Could you not go back to childminding in your home, and maybe take on an assistant or two?

mumofone
26-02-2016, 10:02 PM
Hi Guys I came out of CMing 15 months ago to work for my local authority as an early years improvement officer, I love the job but miss working for myself. I'm seriously thinking of opening my own nursery, Ive been to look at some premises today which are perfect. Although the thought excites me and I am confident in all (or most) matters CMing the thought of opening and managing a nursery is scaring the stuffing out of me. Think its mainly the financial side and staffing. Do I carry on with my job that I really enjoy or do I go for it! I do miss the buzz of working for myself?? Any advice warmly welcomed x

Ooh I would love to do this, where dyou even start? How do you find and find the premises?
How do you take on your first customer when you have no one else there for them to see? I've always wondered this!
Do you get any grant, any help?

Simona
27-02-2016, 08:50 AM
Hi Guys

Good luck with your new venture...take a deep breath and sail away!

I did it the other way round...run a preschool first then became a CM...both have their good and not so good aspects that you will encounter...do not worry
The most important aspect is finding the right staff to build a team that works together and makes your nursery a success.

All the best to you!

Starfish007
03-03-2016, 09:53 PM
Thanks for all your comments. I have put a business plan together and am quite confident that the nursery would be a success. The one thing that I am apprehensive about is the financial side of things for the first few months/years whilst the business is getting established. Particularly paying staff when you may not have enough children and the loan repayments and overheads will be huge!!

Ive got some decisions to make.

Jessymax
04-03-2016, 07:42 AM
I have worked as a deputy manager in a nursery and I would of loved to manage it cos the manager and other staff were ****** horrific but nothing I could do , safe guarding issues EVERYWHERE, abuse, crap food, crap management crap pay but I wuld of loved to of turn it round I resigned in the end couldn't hack it any longer. I think finding GOOD staff will be your hardest part good luck x

mumofone
04-03-2016, 08:28 AM
I have worked as a deputy manager in a nursery and I would of loved to manage it cos the manager and other staff were ****** horrific but nothing I could do , safe guarding issues EVERYWHERE, abuse, crap food, crap management crap pay but I wuld of loved to of turn it round I resigned in the end couldn't hack it any longer. I think finding GOOD staff will be your hardest part good luck x

Oh my goodness I want to ask what they were doing (or not) exactly but I almost daren't. How worrying..

I've always wondered what really happens to the children in many nurseries each day...

Jessymax
04-03-2016, 09:41 AM
don't know whether awful is the word. I reported to ofsted and safeguarding officer in my area when I left but as far as I know nothing has been done apart from I know a lot of parents took there children out since I have left. A member of staff that left before me rung ofsted whislt she was working there with 28 different complaints and still nothing done. baffles me how its still open because I know it shouldn't be one thing I know for sure is whenever I have children I wont be putting them in a nurseryx