PDA

View Full Version : Child leaving

mumofone
26-02-2016, 01:25 PM
I've got a child leaving, should I still do next steps as part of this terms assessment even though I won't be the one to follow them through or do I leave it to the next setting go pick up and do?
Also should I still assess the child for this term?

FloraDora
26-02-2016, 01:44 PM
Deleted as I submitted twice.

FloraDora
26-02-2016, 01:47 PM
I would do an end of setting assessment and review with parents and next steps, again I always complete these with parents and record so that it can be passed on to the next setting. Keep a copy to show Ofsted that you work with the next setting on transition.
My half termly and end of setting review follows the same format as my 2 year review - except it has all the areas of learning on it. So it automatically has next steps.
If you didn't do a half term assessment and review then you definitely need to bring forward the termly on leaving - it's only 3 weeks now to the end of term.
Also, with your first ofsted soon and the child not having been with you that long I would do an end of placement questionnaire so that you have evidence of that parents views to give to the inspector.

catswhiskers
27-02-2016, 12:37 AM
I would just wrap it up and just end and give folders, bits etc back to parents to do what they want.

I've had so many children leave me over the past 4 and a half years since my last inspection and no folders or observations have been taken on board by other agencies which is a shame as I've spent so much time on them.

Ofsted only want to see what you have on the children you're looking after on the day of your inspection mostly so don't go overboard on anything!

Simona
27-02-2016, 09:09 AM
I am a little confused....have the general requirements for a child leaving for another setting changed when it comes to doing the final assessment and passing it on to the next setting as their starting points? :huh:

Please share if the information has changed.

blue bear
27-02-2016, 10:12 AM
I do an assessment when they leave complete with next steps, I add a bit at the bottom giving permission for the next setting to contact me, this bit is specifically signed and dates by the parent.

BallyH
27-02-2016, 10:45 AM
When a child leaves me, either for another setting or school, I fill out a form very similar to the school transition form. I think it's up to the new setting to judge next steps. Surely they will be accessing the child when they start there. I give parents everything else that their child has completed. It all belongs to them, plus I'm now going into the 50's number of minded children I've had in the 10 years of working so I wouldn't have the space keep 'stuff'. I'm sure 50 mindees doesn't touch what some cm's have looked after who have been doing this job for years. I keep child details/contracts etc. I'm talking about lj's, artwork etc.
Good advice from catswhiskers as ofsted don't seem interested in the children's paperwork that are no longer with you.
Also good advice from FloraDora about getting the parents to complete a questionnaire before they disappear. Plus ask them to give you a reference for your childcare profile before they disappear.

Simona
28-02-2016, 08:19 AM
That is correct...before the child leaves the setting should do a short summary of the progress/achievements so far and this is usually recorded in the child's LJs...or whatever cms call their documentation of L&D.
Parents should be given this assessment and the opportunity to comment....as explained in Working in Partnership with parents.

For children going to school it maybe the LA recommends a Transfer Summary...check it out as LAs seem to want this now....this would be in addition so make sure you contact your EY team to clarify.

The final assessment when a child leaves a setting will become the Starting points for the next setting where the next steps will be planned
I don't think this system has changed for as long as I can remember.

If a child goes into Reception the Baseline Assessment...if the school does this.... documents their learning at the point of entry into reception class.

mumofone
03-03-2016, 08:36 PM
I am a little confused....have the general requirements for a child leaving for another setting changed when it comes to doing the final assessment and passing it on to the next setting as their starting points? :huh: Please share if the information has changed.

This Childs not going to another setting...

mumofone
03-03-2016, 08:38 PM
That is correct...before the child leaves the setting should do a short summary of the progress/achievements so far and this is usually recorded in the child's LJs...or whatever cms call their documentation of L&D. Parents should be given this assessment and the opportunity to comment....as explained in Working in Partnership with parents. For children going to school it maybe the LA recommends a Transfer Summary...check it out as LAs seem to want this now....this would be in addition so make sure you contact your EY team to clarify. The final assessment when a child leaves a setting will become the Starting points for the next setting where the next steps will be planned I don't think this system has changed for as long as I can remember. If a child goes into Reception the Baseline Assessment...if the school does this.... documents their learning at the point of entry into reception class.

Sorry Simona ignore my most recent post!!

mumofone
03-03-2016, 08:39 PM
Thanks everyone :-) x