PDA

View Full Version : Ratios when Childminder has own baby

Louise_Oaktree
25-02-2016, 02:26 PM
I've tried reading the EYFS over and over and I understand that a Childminder can have 4 under 5 yrs when caring for their own baby, my understanding was that this was for continuity of care for those children already at the setting.

My question is if I was caring for my own baby could I take 6 months off and take on 3 new children?

I desperately want to reduce my days and work part time 3 days ideally, but trying to make it work financially and this would really help.

I'm a bit of a control freak and want to make sure having another child is affordable before I go ahead and do it! Last time I had a baby which was 5 years ago my development worker said I couldn't take on a 3rd mindee as it only applied to children attending my setting before I had my baby which makes sense but that's not what it says :p I'm confused 😕

JCrakers
25-02-2016, 02:30 PM
I think you could only have 4 if you had 3 already and then had a baby but I'm not 100%. I don't think you can take 3 new ones, just 2.

The variations still confuse me 4yrs on :laughing:

moggy
25-02-2016, 02:33 PM
The own baby thing is that if you have 3 little mindees then have a new born of your own, you do not need to give notice to one of the mindees- that would not be in the best interest of the mindee - therefore you can keep your 3 mindees + your own new baby.
If you have a baby and no mindees on your books, then you are 'starting from scratch', and always your own children count in your numbers.

Louise_Oaktree
25-02-2016, 02:38 PM
That's the way I understood it too but it doesn't actually say that does it? But if I could keep the same children on roll it might be worth cutting short my maternity leave to be able to work 3 days, although as soon as 1 mindee gives notice it would all be for nothing 😕 2 of my mindees are siblings which helps but one going to School next year anyway.

BallyH
25-02-2016, 06:09 PM
That's the way I understood it too but it doesn't actually say that does it? But if I could keep the same children on roll it might be worth cutting short my maternity leave to be able to work 3 days, although as soon as 1 mindee gives notice it would all be for nothing �� 2 of my mindees are siblings which helps but one going to School next year anyway.

Would you try phoning Ofsted? Please let us know what they say, if they do say anything, as others may be interested also.

Jessymax
26-02-2016, 08:14 AM
im not pregnant but interested for when this day comes... if you have 3 mindees each day fall pregnant work up until you can hopefully near the end.. then say u want 3 months off and all parents are happy with finding alternate care then are going to come back to you you can keep the same 3.. plus your own. But then when one of them left for whatever reason you cant replace. Doesn't really seem fair does it ? x

moggy
26-02-2016, 09:03 AM
im not pregnant but interested for when this day comes... if you have 3 mindees each day fall pregnant work up until you can hopefully near the end.. then say u want 3 months off and all parents are happy with finding alternate care then are going to come back to you you can keep the same 3.. plus your own. But then when one of them left for whatever reason you cant replace. Doesn't really seem fair does it ? x

It is about what is fair for the children, not the minder.

If a child is already settled at a CMers, best keep them there + CMer's new baby.
If a child has never been to the setting before, best they start somewhere else where the CMer is at usual 1:3 ratio.
If the child is still on contract, taking a 'break' for maternity leave and temporarily going elsewhere they can go back to their usual CMer, + CMer's new baby, as that is best for the mindee (rather than them having to start a new setting permanently).

If you always look at the situation from the child's perspective, the EYFS rules usually makes sense.

Simona
27-02-2016, 09:04 AM
That's the way I understood it too but it doesn't actually say that does it? But if I could keep the same children on roll it might be worth cutting short my maternity leave to be able to work 3 days, although as soon as 1 mindee gives notice it would all be for nothing �� 2 of my mindees are siblings which helps but one going to School next year anyway.

You could contact Ofsted and ask for support....or if you feel the EYFS is unclear call the DfE and ask for clarification on ratios for cms....or contact your EY team as they are there to help you in these cases....if you still confused after that you can contact Ofsted Gill Jones and put the questions to her.

As you know the EYFS was updated in 2012 and since then cms appear to be confused on what they can or cannot do....if it matters to you contact the appropriate dept to get an answer....your case seems a very good one

Questions on ratios have come up in this forum regularly and often the advice is not clear...check it out for yourself if it matters for you, the parents, the children and your business...each case will be unique to the cm.

Good luck!

Rick
08-03-2016, 07:55 AM
It is about what is fair for the children, not the minder.

If a child is already settled at a CMers, best keep them there + CMer's new baby.
If a child has never been to the setting before, best they start somewhere else where the CMer is at usual 1:3 ratio.
If the child is still on contract, taking a 'break' for maternity leave and temporarily going elsewhere they can go back to their usual CMer, + CMer's new baby, as that is best for the mindee (rather than them having to start a new setting permanently).

If you always look at the situation from the child's perspective, the EYFS rules usually makes sense.

I agree. You should always look at the impact on your existing children not on potential children. You would be able to bring back all your existing settled children plus your new baby.....you are providing continuity of care for those children and obviously you will also have your own baby.

If your baby is born then you should stick to three because that is what is written in the EYFS (max 3 under 5). In my opinion the mention of your own baby in the ratios part of the EYFS is to prevent upheaval for settled children rather than a back door to having four children.

Simona
08-03-2016, 09:16 AM
I agree. You should always look at the impact on your existing children not on potential children. You would be able to bring back all your existing settled children plus your new baby.....you are providing continuity of care for those children and obviously you will also have your own baby.

If your baby is born then you should stick to three because that is what is written in the EYFS (max 3 under 5). In my opinion the mention of your own baby in the ratios part of the EYFS is to prevent upheaval for settled children rather than a back door to having four children.

The decision rests solely on the cm...up to them to read the guidance, understand it, decide and check out the ins and outs of this situation.

Rick these are your comments: 'You should stick to three'...'in my opinion'....'a back door to having 4 children' ....These are your opinions
please let CMs find out what they can do and decide for themselves by approaching the official channels for help if unclear.

Please read the EYFS and look at what it says and what it does not say....it is all there in black and white :thumbsup: