PDA

View Full Version : worrying about a particular 2yr progress check...

Jessymax
24-02-2016, 03:00 PM
So i am just about to do my first 2 yr progress check as a child minder I have done plenty in nurseries but they were much simpler than the one I have template for my business. The LO was 2 in Oct and has definitely settled in so I feel now is a good time. His mum and I are friends I have mentioned him before that I was worried about speech and not much has changed. Do I be brutally but gently honest in the progress check and once I am happy with it do I just put in his file or email it to mum, show it to mum.. should I be getting in touch with his health visitor for a home visit etc etc please be gentle if I am being thick!! thanks x

moggy
24-02-2016, 05:43 PM
Be honest but positive. You can state what s/he can do and then mark the age/stage to reflect where they are at- that should help highlight any delay. You can write next steps to highlight what is lacking, and how you hope to work on that.

Has mum heard from HV about the HV-check (sometimes at 27mths)? If it has happened already, not much you can do.
If mum has not heard from HV yet, you can do your check with mum, give mum an extra paper copy and ask her to give it to HV when she finally has the HV-check.

Some LA are further ahead than others on the subject of integrated HV/EY 2-yr reviews, I have not heard of any really working yet so I do the above.

If your worries about speech are concerning enough, you should recommend mum takes mindee to the local NHS speech and language therapist for an opinion and advise- there are sometimes drop-ins and more 'informal' ways to get an opinion before a full assessment is done, if needed. You can find the phone number and give it to her, might help her out.

Maza
24-02-2016, 05:53 PM
You are not being thick!

The parents do need to see it. I usually give them a paper copy and get them to sign to say they have received it.

Could you show it to mum/dad alongside a copy of 'Development Matters' or 'What to Expect When'. I always find that easier as you are basing your review on those documents rather than your own opinions - it keeps it factual and can take some of the emotion out of it. As you do this, the parents will start to realise for themselves that their child has gaps in their learning OR they will be able to give you evidence to show that their child CAN do these things. but just not in your setting, for whatever reason.

If you are not honest then you are doing the child a disservice as it could delay them getting the help that they need. I know it's horrible, but thinking that way helps me to say difficult things. I also use the phrase 'At the moment' when talking about things that the child cannot do. I feel that it softens the blow and is hopeful that they will be able to 'catch up' with some support (not necessarily from external agencies).

I always leave a space for parents comments and so if they disagree then they have the opportunity to write it down and discuss it with the health visitor at the two year check. Do you know when his two year check is?

BallyH
24-02-2016, 06:50 PM
So i am just about to do my first 2 yr progress check as a child minder I have done plenty in nurseries but they were much simpler than the one I have template for my business. The LO was 2 in Oct and has definitely settled in so I feel now is a good time. His mum and I are friends I have mentioned him before that I was worried about speech and not much has changed. Do I be brutally but gently honest in the progress check and once I am happy with it do I just put in his file or email it to mum, show it to mum.. should I be getting in touch with his health visitor for a home visit etc etc please be gentle if I am being thick!! thanks x

Jessymax the wonderful thing about posting on this forum is that some cm's can advise you and the rest of us will read the answers. And each of us learn a little bit more as we go alone. So please keep asking questions. This question is very 'of the moment' as some of us are still waiting for guidance on what to do with the 2 year old progress check and how to get involved with hv's. Your question has helped me realised that others are also waiting for their LA to get a move on. So you're not being thick!

k1rstie
24-02-2016, 10:40 PM
I would suggest that you ask mum to let you know when the Health Visitor has made in till contact, and do the report then. If you do it too early, it won't be current when the time comes.

Jessymax
25-02-2016, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the replys as usual .. he was in nursery until Jan.. mum brought his folder and they hadn't done one but they hadn't done much at all! So presume HV hadn't been yet have asked mum before but she was abit hazy about it will ask again when she drops off this morning im worried about speech.. can say lots of words but sentences make no sense .. terrified of getting hands dirty will NOT join in sensory or creative inless colouring.. no to glue, shaving foam, paint etc.. I try every trick in the book and I know I will get there but its hard as most children just love that stuff. Does NOT understand the most simple instructions such as 'lay down please *****' When its time to do his nappy.. or 'stand up ****' when ive finished he physically looks at me blankly..

Jessymax
25-02-2016, 07:50 AM
Right shes just replied to a text ' HV yes, we then saw the dr ward in ***** cos he didn't score very highly, hes come on a lot since then' ?????

Maza
25-02-2016, 11:17 AM
I wonder what the dr advised. You need to find out really - you must be so curious anyway. It's a shame when parents aren't upfront about these things, it's so important that we know.

I wouldn't worry about the 'sensory' play. Yes, lots of children do love shaving foam, glue etc, but a lot don't. There are plenty of other ways of to enhance his sensory awareness/experiences without him having to get dirty. Could you introduce him to different textures through dry resources? I used to make sensory paths down my hallway for one of mine and they all loved it. I just grabbed things from around the house - a load of bubble wrap, a woolly blanket, a plastic bag, foam tiles, polystyrene packaging, prickly doormat etc. The little ones just used to crawl over it and explore with their sense of ouch but the older ones tried to describe how each one felt. We also had a cobbled path near us that we always used to take a detour to as a couple of mine loved it. Would he walk barefoot on grass? That's a lovely sensory experience - but again he might not like it if it is damp. Try not to just think of sensory play as messy play. Try to observe if he has genuine sensory issues or whether he simply doesn't like getting dirty. Maybe he has been told off in the past for getting dirty.

My DD hates getting glue on her now (she used to love it) and will now only use sellotape, double sided sticky tape, staple guns glue dots for for sticking activities.

Well done for persevering with this little one - and with mum, who isn't really being as co-operative as she could be. x

blue bear
26-02-2016, 07:11 AM
If I was you I would print this off and highlight what he can do http://www3.hants.gov.uk/ecat-child-monitoring-tool.pdf

I would go on the talking point website and do the assessment and get mum to do the same, see if you come up with the same results, it gives excellent advice.

Before doing the two year check I send home the rest,event pages of a parents guide what to expect when for parent to highlight what they know the child can do.

I then use all this information to write the two year check, all positive little Johnny can x y and z, at home he can do x y and z. And high light the areas his development falls into. All with next steps, I then share with parents and re write with any suggestions.

If speach is still a concern at this point then you need to be asking mum to go back to hv or ring speech therapy yourself, because you had mum on board from the beginning none of what you say on the check will come as a shock.

Jessymax
26-02-2016, 08:12 AM
but since he saw the HV for 2 yr check wit her months ago mum has said herself hes come on leaps and bound so if I randomly do one now its not going to link to anything else? do I need to do one?

moggy
26-02-2016, 09:06 AM
but since he saw the HV for 2 yr check wit her months ago mum has said herself hes come on leaps and bound so if I randomly do one now its not going to link to anything else? do I need to do one?

The EYFS check at 2 years is a statutory requirement, see https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/a-know-how-guide-the-eyfs-progress-check-at-age-two
Sharing the EYFS check at 2 years with a HV or other agency is just a bonus, but if not possible it is not a reason not to do the check at all.