PDA

View Full Version : Nursery..and CM??

mumofone
24-02-2016, 10:06 AM
Do any of you care for any children that also attend a nursery? I've had an enquiry for a child that spends part the week at a nursery so im just wondering why they would need me, ie. Why isn't the child at nursery full time...

kellib
24-02-2016, 10:40 AM
I have one right now who splits time between me and a nursery. It started 3 years ago when one parent changed hours at work meaning they had every 2nd Monday off so they didn't want to pay for a days nursery they weren't using, I was happy to only charge for the Monday's the kids were here so all worked out well.

As time has gone on the eldest child has gone off to school while the youngest has stayed with me, upping hours to 2 days with me and 2 days with nursery so she gets the best of both environments.

Pixie dust
24-02-2016, 11:41 AM
I have 2 children who attend nursery as well as my setting, one of the little ones I have had since 9 months old parents decided that it would be good for then to attend the local preschool 2 mornings a week with them starting school in September, they go to pre school on the 2 mornings I don't have them anyway as it's mum's days off and the other child goes to nursery on the day that I didn't have space for the child.

JCrakers
24-02-2016, 11:46 AM
If they are already at nursery then I would think its either

a.) They are looking for extra days but the nursery is full
b.) They are looking for flexibility from you...maybe an earlier start or a later finish, something which nurseries don't do

:thumbsup:

My advice would be, only be as flexible as you want to be...don't agree to silly o'clock if you don't really want to :D

BallyH
24-02-2016, 12:50 PM
Next Sept this will become more common amongst ey free funding providers.

Maza
24-02-2016, 01:34 PM
Yes I had one. His parents liked the idea of a childminder but also wanted him to have some nursery experience so that he was used to big group settings for when he started school. He came to me three days a week and nursery the other two. Bless him, he much preferred coming to me than nursery but they were grateful for the nursery experience and he did learn a lot there. It worked well. I have to credit the nursery for sorting out a sleep issue which I hadn't been able to do.

Mouse
24-02-2016, 01:43 PM
How old is the child and is it a private nursery or a school nursery?

If it's a school nursery the child will probably only be getting their 15 funded hours there so need you for any additional hours. Most of my 3 & 4 year olds come to me on the days their parents work (as they need longer days, all year round), then go to nursery or pre-school on the days when parents can drop them off, pick them up and don't need cover during the holidays. It could be that the nursery couldn't offer them the full hours they need.

Maza
24-02-2016, 01:50 PM
There's nothing wrong with asking the parents the same question. If they have been at the nursery for a while then maybe mum went back to work part time but has now stared full time work. Maybe the nursery can't offer the extra hours that she needs - OR - maybe she is on a waiting list for the extra hours at nursery. She might not be totally honest with you if this is the case, but it would be nice to know if she is likely to drop you as son as the space at nursery does become available.

Let us know if you find out. (Sorry, I'm nosey!)

mumofone
24-02-2016, 02:10 PM
I'm confusing myself is there a difference between nursery and pre school, I always associate nursery with very young children say up to 3?

k1rstie
24-02-2016, 02:20 PM
I have kids who attend preschool, from the age of 2 until 4 , until they start proper school. At three, they were eligible for the 15 hours funding. They did not have the space at the preschool, so the child attended with me for her missing funding hours.

I also have other children who attend the school nursery. This is from the September after they are 3. They would then start in reception in the September term. My daughter started after Easter when she had just turned 3. She attended the school nursery for a term then a full year.

I have noticed that the school nursery is much more organised and school ready. Our school nursery take the children for either 5 mornings or 5 afternoons. The preschool is more flexible, and my mindee attends 2 and a half days, and also attends a lunch club.

In your case, I would double check what they are asking.

Maza
24-02-2016, 02:23 PM
Many children attend nursery (school or private) until they start school. So for Autumn birthdays they would be almost 5 when they left nursery.

muffins
24-02-2016, 09:43 PM
I've had lots of children who've been in nursery as well as attended my setting. For most of them it's been either because they want them to have the experience of nursery for preparation for school but also wanted them to be in a home environment for part of the week, OR I currently have 3 children who I didn't have the full space for they wanted so had to use a nursery for the unavailable time.
There is a huge lack of childcare in my area, it becomes almost impossible to find to fit your needs between January & September once the sch leavers spaces fill up! Parents often have to split childcare here to fill the time.

Pixie dust
24-02-2016, 09:54 PM
I'm confusing myself is there a difference between nursery and pre school, I always associate nursery with very young children say up to 3?

Nurseries normally take children from young babies right through to 4 year olds, they normally provide care all/part of the day just like us but pre-school is normally from 2 (now with the funding our local pre -schools take 2 year olds) and is normally sessional 3 hours in the morning/afternoon.

Louise_Oaktree
25-02-2016, 02:47 PM
In my area Cms are cheaper than nursery so parent gets the best of both environments without paying for a full time nursery place

Simona
27-02-2016, 09:21 AM
Next Sept this will become more common amongst ey free funding providers.

You are absolutely spot on and it seems that cms and nurseries/preschools are preparing for this...state schools will do the same....not long until Sept 2016 to see how it unfolds.

natlou82
27-02-2016, 10:07 AM
Not sure how my school nursery will cope with 30 hours. They are full to bursting for both 15 hour sessions. I actually think they may continue to just offer 15 and parents would have to pick up the additional hours elsewhere. If they don't do that there will be loads of children needing 30 hours! This may sound good but in my area minders would struggle to pick up the shortfall as we don't have the capacity. Food for thought there!

BallyH
27-02-2016, 10:51 AM
Not sure how my school nursery will cope with 30 hours. They are full to bursting for both 15 hour sessions. I actually think they may continue to just offer 15 and parents would have to pick up the additional hours elsewhere. If they don't do that there will be loads of children needing 30 hours! This may sound good but in my area minders would struggle to pick up the shortfall as we don't have the capacity. Food for thought there!

Exactly! I spoke to my local preschool and they said they may have to 'cap' the funding at 15 hours to give every child a chance, even less hours. So there will be a lot of eligible parents looking for the other 15 hours elsewhere. Time to think and plan ahead with my business head on!

Simona
28-02-2016, 08:25 AM
It may be worth attending meetings to get an idea of what other settings are trying to do to prepare for the 30 Hours...I was at one last weekend and some very interesting facts came out...early days but others are looking at all aspects of this issue.

If you can also look out the LAs and those implementing the 30 hours...a lot will be learnt from them
What settings think they can or cannot do now will certainly change in future. and that is where Cms come in...Cms will be vital in this 30 hours scheme.

As BallyH says...put your business hat on and start planning :thumbsup:

natlou82
28-02-2016, 11:08 PM
Yes agreed business hat needed ;-) there's going to be an awful lot to think about!