PDA

View Full Version : Babysitting

mumofone
23-02-2016, 09:49 PM
I've been asked a couple of times to babysit one of my mindees out of their usual hours. I've just charged them my normal hourly rate but as its unsocial hours in a way feel I should be charging them more but don't want to be unreasonable. Also I don't really want to get into babysitting as it eats into my previous child free time but feel I can't say no as they know I'm only at home as ive a little one in bed myself. What do you all do and charge etc?

BallyH
23-02-2016, 10:03 PM
I've been asked a couple of times to babysit one of my mindees out of their usual hours. I've just charged them my normal hourly rate but as its unsocial hours in a way feel I should be charging them more but don't want to be unreasonable. Also I don't really want to get into babysitting as it eats into my previous child free time but feel I can't say no as they know I'm only at home as ive a little one in bed myself. What do you all do and charge etc?

Those parents are getting a bargain. I've been asked but declined and offered the services of my sons who have babysat for a number of regular unconnected families over the years. When I worked at the preschool some of the staff use to babysit and they charged twice my 'now' hourly rate then and I left 4 years ago.

Mouse
24-02-2016, 09:59 AM
Do you go to their house, or do they come to yours?

Either way, if you don't want to do it just say you can't. It makes no difference if you're at home with your own baby. That doesn't mean you have to have their child as well. If they ask and you don't want to do it say 'sorry, I can't'.

If you do decide to do it, look up the rates of local babysitters to see what they charge.

I looked on childcare.co.uk recently and was surprised to see that teenage babysitters charge a minimum of £7 an hour, twice the local childminding hourly rate.

mumofone
24-02-2016, 10:08 AM
Do you go to their house, or do they come to yours? Either way, if you don't want to do it just say you can't. It makes no difference if you're at home with your own baby. That doesn't mean you have to have their child as well. If they ask and you don't want to do it say 'sorry, I can't'. If you do decide to do it, look up the rates of local babysitters to see what they charge. I looked on childcare.co.uk recently and was surprised to see that teenage babysitters charge a minimum of £7 an hour, twice the local childminding hourly rate.

Hi mouse, they come to mine...

Just by the time the kids go home each day ive had enough to be honest and don't really wanna see more of them and without sounding off I don't need the money that badly either!

I'm just worried that by saying no ill ruin our relationship

tess1981
24-02-2016, 10:23 AM

Just by the time the kids go home each day ive had enough to be honest and don't really wanna see more of them and without sounding off I don't need the money that badly either!

I did it for a parent once as a favour and she paid me well :) she does not speak to her family and she is married to my sisters husbands brother so I felt sorry for her as she was going to a wedding and had no one to mind them. However she then asked would I keep the children for a weekend while she took the older children away. I did not want children all week then all weekend and back at it again on the Monday. So I told her honestly I was not interested as I like my weekend free :)

Mouse
24-02-2016, 10:55 AM

Well, if they come to your house it's technically still childminding, not babysitting (which is when you look after a child in their own home).

What they're really asking you for is extra childminding hours and you should certainly not feel guilty about charging a higher rate for that. If parents have any respect for you they wouldn't mind paying you a higher rate either.

But if you really don't want to do it I would just be honest with them (I've found that's always the best way with parents). I would send a letter (so it's official) and say that as of X date you will no longer be in a position to provide any childcare outside your usual working day. If parents require a babysitter you suggest they look at the childcare.co.uk website where they can search for babysitters in the area.
Don't wait until the next time they ask you then have the awkwardness of saying no. Tell them now so they know not to ask again...and if they do ask, remind then that you've already said no!

Jessymax
24-02-2016, 12:56 PM
I frequently baby sit for a family I nanny for too.. I am babysitting tonight and fri this week £10 an hour cash. Sounds like you don't really want too but don't no how to say no maybe just send them a text if u don't want to say to face say you've been thinking whether you want to offer abbysitting as an extra service and you've decided you would like evenings and weekends just for your family x x I certainly wouldn't every baby sit any mindees from my home on an evening xxx

AliceK
24-02-2016, 12:59 PM
I've been asked many time to babysit and I always say No. I also wouldn't do it as extra childminding hours in my own home either. By the time I finish for the day I've had enough and just need to sort out my own children and sit down. Don't feel bad to say No.

xxx

mumofone
24-02-2016, 02:15 PM
I frequently baby sit for a family I nanny for too.. I am babysitting tonight and fri this week £10 an hour cash. Sounds like you don't really want too but don't no how to say no maybe just send them a text if u don't want to say to face say you've been thinking whether you want to offer abbysitting as an extra service and you've decided you would like evenings and weekends just for your family x x I certainly wouldn't every baby sit any mindees from my home on an evening xxx

Thanks jessymax, it's that in their home? Is that the going rate on your area?

moggy
24-02-2016, 02:20 PM
I close at 5.30pm. Any time after that, pre-arranged and agreed, is at double-fees.
Sounds like you need to say no, if you don't really want to do it and don't need the money. You can say your are 'adjusting your business structure and now close at x o'clock and no longer offer an evening service'.

Jessymax
24-02-2016, 02:54 PM
hiya yes at their house which is a good 30min drive for me and always til midnight ish so not particularly nice driving home at that time it also means cos of partners shift work doing this tonight means I wont of seen him since last night and wont see him til tomorrow night now ( well inless u count listening to him snore when I creep in tonight so I need it to be worth if it that makes sense I really don't know what the going rate is in my area but they seem quite happy to pay it ? xx