PDA

View Full Version : Log cabin advice!

Lynz08
20-02-2016, 04:21 PM
Hello everyone, as my title suggests I am looking for a bit of advice from anyone that has a log cabin they use for their childminding.

I am a childminder that cares for children aged 5 and over and my house is starting to feel a bit overcrowded after school and during school holidays. I am considering getting a log cabin placed at the bottom of the garden (playroom only - the children will still use the house for toilet, food etc) and was wondering if anyone can answer the following questions:

What size log cabin do you have?
Rough costs?
Building regs or planning permission required?
How well insulated is your log cabin?
What base is it on?
Do you think it has improved your service?

I have done a lot of research on this so I think I know what I am purchasing :) but my husband insists I ask a childminder about it before I commit :mad: men eh?!

Thanks in advance,
Lyndsey

muffins
20-02-2016, 08:57 PM
I'm really sorry I can't answer any of your questions as I don't have a log cabin, I do however have a question. How will you manage if you are outside in the cabin & someone needs the toilet?

FloraDora
20-02-2016, 09:20 PM
I have a summerhouse in the garden and it is just an extra area to use, a sheltered garden area really but since I am term time - a great place to put all resources come holiday time.
I don't think you can use a log cabin, as muffins suggests, full time all year around unless you have toilet facilities and running water.
You need to be in sight of hearing of children, can you do that from the log cabin? If a child needs to wash hands or visit the toilet is it 'all in side' whilst this happens? What about when you are preparing food in your kitchen, what will the children be doing?
One of my families chose to leave a childminder and come to me as they very much wanted a home atmosphere. When they started at the previous childminder all was well, until she converted her garage and they felt that their LO's were then confined to this small area for most of the day, apart from eating, not home like at all. How will your parents feel about this change ? My parents I know didn't say anything to the previous childminder, just sought me out, waited on my waiting list until there was a space and then moved.
If you are changing the learning environment big time like you intend, you will have to build in to your business plan that not all parents will be enthused. Also, that they might not say initially, but may just show it by finding alternative childcare when they can.

Lynz08
24-02-2016, 05:30 PM
Hi thankyou for your input and I understand your concerns but I am not an early years childminder only over 5s (after school and school holidays).
I have a downstairs wc right by my back door if the children do need to use the toilet then they can go unaided I will simply watch them from the garden. Also, I do not prepare any food :-)

singingcactus
24-02-2016, 08:40 PM
I have a summer house 10 x 10, it's set up as a playroom. We use it year round. If we are in it and a child needs to use the bathroom we handle it exactly the same is we do when a child needs to use the bathroom whilst we are playing in the yard.
My summer house has definitely improved my setting because I no longer need to take my inside resources outside, which isn't really using the outdoor environment properly. But I have specific resources, for all areas of learning, designed to be used outdoors, to enhance outdoor learning. Not just take indoors outside. The rabbits pop in to play with the children. We can have open access to paints, sand, waterplay etc with no worry about damage to the rented accommodation we live in. We have bug houses and bird feeders on the walls and windows. It is just an awesome learning resource when it comes to nature and outdoor learning. We tend to use the summerhouse during school hours, then come indoors before and after.
My summer house is on a flag stone base, our garden is wet so this helps prevent slippage and sinking etc. However it is not a log cabin, just a summer house.

The only thing I will say, whatever construction you go for, take excellent care of the roof! The pesky magpies round here have recently taken to stealing the nails out of the roof of ours, the wind has then stretched the roof felt and the water has gotten into the wood and the building. Puddles and mould...yuk! Easter break will be spent replacing the roof :( Pesky magpies! If they weren't so darned cute I'd stop feeding them lol

BallyH
24-02-2016, 10:05 PM
I have a summer house 10 x 10, it's set up as a playroom. We use it year round. If we are in it and a child needs to use the bathroom we handle it exactly the same is we do when a child needs to use the bathroom whilst we are playing in the yard.
My summer house has definitely improved my setting because I no longer need to take my inside resources outside, which isn't really using the outdoor environment properly. But I have specific resources, for all areas of learning, designed to be used outdoors, to enhance outdoor learning. Not just take indoors outside. The rabbits pop in to play with the children. We can have open access to paints, sand, waterplay etc with no worry about damage to the rented accommodation we live in. We have bug houses and bird feeders on the walls and windows. It is just an awesome learning resource when it comes to nature and outdoor learning. We tend to use the summerhouse during school hours, then come indoors before and after.
My summer house is on a flag stone base, our garden is wet so this helps prevent slippage and sinking etc. However it is not a log cabin, just a summer house.

The only thing I will say, whatever construction you go for, take excellent care of the roof! The pesky magpies round here have recently taken to stealing the nails out of the roof of ours, the wind has then stretched the roof felt and the water has gotten into the wood and the building. Puddles and mould...yuk! Easter break will be spent replacing the roof :( Pesky magpies! If they weren't so darned cute I'd stop feeding them lol

Your summer house, before I read the bit about the magpies, sounds a wonderful experience for the children.

singingcactus
25-02-2016, 07:51 AM
Haha, it is Moh. We're really missing it right now, waiting for the roof to be replaced. It's quite a few years old now and hasn't needed any work, other than the usual wood treatment, until this christmas holidays went the magpies went rogue!

Lynz08
26-02-2016, 09:26 AM

Wow thankyou so much that just sounds wonderful! Exactly the kind of experience I am after for the children 😃I am a very outdoorsy person myself anyway. How do parents feel about the summerhouse?

Sorry to hear about the magpies! I'm the same though love feeding the birds!

singingcactus
26-02-2016, 11:28 AM
My parents love my 'buddies clubhouse', as it is called :) It is very basic, no heating, wood floor (but we have a bunch of different play mats they can choose from). But the kids all come prepared for the weather and if anyone is uncomfortable we can go inside whenever we choose. The kids LOVE being inside it when the heavens open cos of all the windows and the noise. It is very much their space and a place where no is heard much less frequently than indoors.