PDA

View Full Version : McDonalds! ? what would you do?

emmas
18-02-2016, 01:57 PM
Hi Folks,

My DD has a birthday next week, and has requested a trip to McDonalds after school for a birthday treat. I am happy to do this with my own 3 as a treat on such occasions, however I do have an almost 3 year old mindee to consider.

I mentioned it to her dad this morning and said would they be OK with her joining in on this, as I would not feed McDonalds to somebody's child without permission. He seemed happy for her to join in but said he will need to check with Mum as he didn't know what she would think, this is all fair enough, however if they say no, it would be cruel to have mindee sit in McDonalds and watch my kids eat, and it would be cruel to tell my DD she cannot have her birthday treat as mindee is not allowed it! Its not really an option to go after mindee collected at 6.30pm its to late for my kids of 6, 3 and 2!

If parents say they will collect her early so she doesn't have to come, would you still charge as the space is open, and I am contracted to have her? or would you offer a refund?

would be really helpful to have feedback on what you would do?

thanks
Emma

AliceK
18-02-2016, 02:27 PM
I have been asked the same thing as a parent when my DS went to a childminders in the past and I never had a problem with him being taken and as a childminder I can think of probably 2 occasions when I have had to ask parents the same thing and they have not had a problem with it. IF your parent does then I would advise them that they will need to pick up early on that day and no I wouldn't charge them. I certainly wouldn't change plans.

xx

k1rstie
18-02-2016, 03:19 PM
I think mum will say yes.
If mum says no, I would not charge her for the evening, but looking in the bright side, at least it will only be your family there. Then you could have an ice cream as well!!!

FloraDora
18-02-2016, 06:51 PM
It's all about a balanced diet, an occasional McDonald's is not a big issue surely. If you want to go 'healthy' ...ish then fillet, no chips could work? Lunch could balance it out too.
A birthday treat is justifiable - as are party rings on birthdays!!!!

BallyH
18-02-2016, 07:03 PM
I took my lo's to McD's the day after my inspection. It was delicious. The parents were ok about it as they didn't need to provide a packed lunch and I said it was my treat. Plus one of my lo's has been here for over 3 years and its the first time I've taken him so they know it doesn't happen every week. I hope the mum says yes. Enjoy.

samb
18-02-2016, 07:22 PM
I would have asked what food they are ok with lo having at McDonald's? If you have the child all day then you can always give a hot meal at lunch and then get the child wrap/ salad at McDonald's? I once took a group to a food court at a shopping centre so that I could Spud u like for the little ones and fried type food for the older ones easily. Hope that helps

emmas
19-02-2016, 08:37 AM
Thanks everybody, Mum has said its OK so panic over! thanks for all your feedback

Emma.

tammys-tots
24-02-2016, 03:22 PM
I took my lo's to McD's the day after my inspection. It was delicious. The parents were ok about it as they didn't need to provide a packed lunch and I said it was my treat. Plus one of my lo's has been here for over 3 years and its the first time I've taken him so they know it doesn't happen every week. I hope the mum says yes. Enjoy.

Did you mention to the inspector that you take the children to mcdonalds? i know nurseries i have worked at do not take children there.

loocyloo
24-02-2016, 05:11 PM
We go to macdonalds once in a blue moon (because the closest one is about 45 min drive away!) But we often go out for lunch to local coffee shops/cafés or for fish and chips. There is alot to be learnt by eating out.

We eat a healthy diet and everything in moderation is fine. All of my parents are happy with this.

If we do go to macdonalds the LOs usually have the fish or chicken, a fruit bag and then a few chips!

BallyH
24-02-2016, 05:39 PM
Did you mention to the inspector that you take the children to mcdonalds? i know nurseries i have worked at do not take children there.

We went the day after my inspector was here. I only had 3 lo's. I think it would be hard for the nurseries to go out 'on mass'. Who would they choose to take, ratios, transport etc.

Maza
24-02-2016, 06:07 PM

I haven't ever taken the mindees to McDonalds (my own daughter loves it) but I have taken them out for pizza, ice cream, Sainsbury's café - probably all just as 'unhealthy'.

If the inspector asked me directly if I take the children to McDonalds then I would have no problem telling her that I did (if I did, lol). I truly doubt it would change his/her opinion of any minder if there was evidence that the meals and lifestyle are generally healthy. If they give a nursery a higher grade than they give me based soley on the fact that I once took mindees to McDonalds and they didn't, then fine. They could write it up on my report for all to see.

k1rstie
24-02-2016, 06:20 PM
I used to take two 3 or 4 year olds to a fish and chip shop occasionally after there morning nursery. They would have freshly cooked fish and chips and share a slice of bread and butter and have a glass of water each. It is a very busy restaurant, and would have lots of pensioners in the restaurant.

We would sit and wait for our food, and chat about there mornings. They have a roller towel in the Los, they loved that! When the food arrived, they would eat it perfectly. I often heard the ladies say to each other about 'how well behaved they were, how well they were eating, look they are eating their fish, I wish my grandchildren would sit and eat a meal like that. '

I saw the occasional meal as an educational experience for the children, and also an educational experience for the ladies, as they could see that children could be well behaved, talk to each other, say please and thank you.

The occasional 'unhealthy' blip does no harm.