PDA

View Full Version : Husbands/partners view on our job.

Nicki L
07-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Does anybody elses husbands/partners get a bit edgy sometimes on the amount of space your job takes up.

Over the last few months our wall space in the kitchen and hallway has been slowly disappearing and been replaced by other childrens artwork, photos etc. And i have even started putting posters and things up.

Although he doesnt get angry about it you can see that sometimes he would like to come home to clear walls!!!!!:laughing:

LisaH
07-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Yes I know exactly what you mean. My hubby thinks the house is turning into a nursery!!! Everytime he opens a cupboard toys fall on him. Lol. Also hard sometimes because he changed jobs recently and no longer works 'normal' hours and can be really grumpy at those times of day when the kids are very loud!! Otherwise he's ok. Lol

Doesnt complain on pay day tho!! :)

Nicki L
07-08-2008, 07:58 PM
in my defence its not my fault - some other childminder introduced me to sparklebox - i now have areas labelled, there is even a sign on the toilet door. And two signs in the toilet, one telling you to flush the toilet and one to wash your hands - both very important i might add!!!:clapping:

Alibali
07-08-2008, 08:01 PM
My dh used to come home from work at 4.30, now he doesn't come home till 5.30 when he knows the kids are just going. He is very understanding, but doesn't want to have to come home and 'play dad' to someone elses kids! I would love to see my walls too, sometimes it gets me down having all this stuff about at weekends etc but its too much hassle to take it all away every week.

Pudding Girl
07-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Nope, my hubby loves it :D never a word about the ever increasing load of minding crud lol

He races home fast so he can have ten mins romp with the mindees before they go, and he is really good with them, twins mum even said today that he was wonderful with them :blush:

LisaH
07-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Lol. I have put a sign up in my toilet specially for the boys!!

It says ' I aim to keep this toilet clean! Your aim will help.':)

Nicki L
07-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Lisa

That just made me laugh after a long day!!

Thanks

cher25
07-08-2008, 08:09 PM
My partner works 3 shifts, lates, nights and early. He only see the kids for an hour before going out on lates and for 5 mins when on early's. The parents haven't even met him yet as he was at work when they first came around.lol
He stays upstairs or is in bed the rest of the time.

Cher

crazybones
07-08-2008, 08:12 PM
I asked hubby to find something around that house that didnt benefit/educate his own children. He couldnt. I rest my case. :p

butterfly
07-08-2008, 09:49 PM
my husband gets really angry when i'm doing paper work or have paper work around. yesterday i asked him to put up a small hook on the back of the door to keep my signing in book on and he started on a ramble about how stupid it was to have to have this stuff etc etc. now he's whinging about how detailed my risk assessments are and how unecessary!! not really what you want to hear when you're already doing the stuff because you have to!

LOOPYLISA
07-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Hubbys very supportive (at the moment), not the half of it yet:eek:

buildingblocks
07-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Have written this twice and then decided to be honest.

My hubby knows he has no choice and comes down the list after the minded children. And for those who think I am joking those who do know me will tell you what a hard time I give my darling hubby lol.

I am lucky in the fact that hubby is around a lot of the time and appreciates how hard I work. He also knows I earn more money than he does and it benefits us. he also knows that I couldn't do any of this without his support I know some out there do not get the support they should.

We also come at this from a different angle in that we have no children of our own so at the end of the day the lo's goes home and we have our house to ourselves. i also have a huge playroom that I can shut the doors on although the rest of hte house still looks like a nursery

Pipsqueak
07-08-2008, 10:07 PM
The other half is quietly supportive but I must admit he gets a little peeved with all the "stuff" about.

He will come in from work, look around the walls and saying what are we learning to day (it is benefitting him if no one else - he has learnt some basic French, how to cross a road safely, his understanding of hygiene is improving steadily. he hand-eye co ordination is fab and his KUW is outstanding :D ).

I know it flashes across his mind that all this paperwork and the amount of time it consumes is a bit much. (Mind you will have to stop saying I am doing paperwork when I am really on here..... he he:blush: I do mean to be doing my paperwork really.....)

He occasionally hates being bombarded by kids and accosted by different parents after a hard day.

In the main he is ok about it, he knows how hard I work, how much I enjoy it and how much effort I have put into the other stuff - course work etc....
He gets a bit narky when I say for my Risk assessment I need you to do........ or could you just........ as I want to set up a .....

buildingblocks
07-08-2008, 10:14 PM
The other half is quietly supportive but I must admit he gets a little peeved with all the "stuff" about.

He will come in from work, look around the walls and saying what are we learning to day (it is benefitting him if no one else - he has learnt some basic French, how to cross a road safely, his understanding of hygiene is improving steadily. he hand-eye co ordination is fab and his KUW is outstanding :D ).
:ROFL1: love it

I know it flashes across his mind that all this paperwork and the amount of time it consumes is a bit much. (Mind you will have to stop saying I am doing paperwork when I am really on here..... he he:blush: I do mean to be doing my paperwork really.....)Glad I'm not the only one

He occasionally hates being bombarded by kids and accosted by different parents after a hard day.my mindees want nothing to do with me when Gary is at home

In the main he is ok about it, he knows how hard I work, how much I enjoy it and how much effort I have put into the other stuff - course work etc....
He gets a bit narky when I say for my Risk assessment I need you to do........ or could you just........ as I want to set up a .....

My father in law is hte one who moans about having to do jobs

Chatterbox Childcare
07-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Mine thinks that "This is our house, so where has it gone?"

I have resorted to putting everything on a cork board that can go up in the morning when I start work and be taken down and put away when I finish.

Keeps the status quo even..

Debbie :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Pedagog
08-08-2008, 07:08 AM
My son is beginning to get grumpy, but then he is a bit of an old man.

EllieF
08-08-2008, 07:12 AM
My other half has the odd tantrum over the childminding taking over the house, but 99% of the time is as good as gold.
My 14 year old has had enough of it now, but loved it up until aged about 11.
My 4 year old thinks is brilliant, asking who's coming every day and at weekends will say "when are the kids coming mum?"
It has actually been great for both my children, helping them with their development, and giving them something to do during the holidays, as i would probably not do as much if it was just my own kids, but i make sure we are busy every day in the holidays with crafts, games outings etc
Ellie

jayne
08-08-2008, 07:25 AM
My husband works away all week so he very rearly sees any of my minded children. I have a separate playroom were i desplay the childrens work and most of my posteres and he just does'nt go in there and less he has to. He does get a bit grumpy over all the toys I have and pushchairs.

ajs
08-08-2008, 07:26 AM
my hubby hates the fact that i work so hard now as i am very tired and keeps telling me to cut back my hours (not sure if it's so i can spend more time on him though)

he is very supportive really and loves the kids i look after, if he's home r who is nearly 7 won't even talk to me. she cuddles so close to him that he's almost pushed off the sofa i have even caught her watching tele while sitting on his head :laughing:
s 22 m asks every morning if david will be here and even talks to him on the playphone

i know he would like the house back, but like kate i have a very large playroom so at the end of the week we dechildmind the house and throw it all in there and shut the door so i don't have to think about it all for the weekend

my 17 year old keeps asking me when i am going to get a proper job, then runs as he knows i'll slap him if i catch him.
i know he's joking but i wonder if deep down he hates having the little ones here all of the time although o 1 absolutley adores him and one of her first words was sam so i know he likes them a little bit

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
08-08-2008, 07:39 AM
My hubby is great about it we are having a conservatory being built at the moment and I am going to use that for childminding so that we get our house back which I am really looking forward to.

It is mainly me that sometimes hates all the stuff up, that is why I am sooo pleased about having a separate room where everything can go.

Lorraine xx

mum22
08-08-2008, 07:47 AM
I think as my own 2 are still little, my dh is ok with all toys etc being in our lounge - no playroom yet.... its the paperwork lying round that he hates, and i admit i do leave stuff lying around that i mean to read.... but eventually we will get a conservatory - and to be honest we couldnt have managed without my wage coming in and he does understand that. But my own children have loved it and constantly ask who is coming today which is really lovely and have both learned the importance of sharing.

Jinx
08-08-2008, 07:57 AM
It is mainly me that sometimes hates all the stuff up, that is why I am sooo pleased about having a separate room where everything can go.

Lorraine xx

I'm the same!

My hubby doesn't complain/moan about anything to do with my job, (he wouldn't dare!). It's me that hates the way it takes over the house and my life! :rolleyes:

So far I have refused to cover my walls with posters etc, but I know that that day WILL come eventually!! :panic:

The thing that gets me the most though is the attitude of the rest of the family, ie grandparents etc, that I am still JUST a stay at home mum doing a bit of babysitting! :angry:

ajs
08-08-2008, 08:07 AM
sorry even after 8 yerars doing this job my mum still doesn't get it
she's always asking me to pop into town to get her things and post them to her

my mil read an article about childminders in the paper how they are fed up with all of the paperwork around eyfs etc
she sent me the article with a note saying ha read this luckily you don't have to do all that too. and child care and education was her job (on the other side she writes the policies and procedures) when she was employed so if she doesn't get it who will

Hannahlg
08-08-2008, 08:10 AM
well my dad is fine with it my mum has being doing it likr 19 years now so he used to it. he also loves the kids too if one is crying when he is at home he is soon coming to see whats going on

miss mopple
08-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Mine is a shift worker so is around alot of the time and tbh I know it drives him potty, but he does recognise that it pays me a good wage, and that I love it so he mostly just shuts up and puts up wit it :thumbsup: I try very hard to strike a balance and when he's home make sure I am out alot, especially if I have lots of kids here.

I try not to have too much up on display so I can easily turn it back into a home when the kids go at night as I hate having toys etc around when I am trying to relax. The kids always take their artwork home at the end of each day, I display photos on a digital photo frame that I can change to family pics in the evening and my notice board is on a wall in the hallway I can't see from the lounge.

I don't have a playroom anymore :( so have kicked DH out of his precious shed ;) so I can store resources in there. They are pretty well squirreled away in the house too so come 6pm I can put them all away

I think what DH objects to more though is some of the parents. I have one set who's little one runs rings round them at hometime and it can take up to 1/2hr to get them out the door. They just don't seem to discipline their kids and its always left to me to do.

Despite his grumbles though he recognises its my business and supports me in running it my way. I couldn't do it without him and know he could be alot more stressy about it.

mimo
08-08-2008, 08:25 AM
i have all my displays ect in the playroom role paly areas ect are set up in the other rooms in the house but put away every night that way i can close the door to the playroom and my house once again looks like a house .Never mind the OH i couldnt stand it if i couldnt shut my work away:)

Mags
08-08-2008, 08:33 AM
i'm the same Lorraine...it's me that gets fed up of not having "MY" house the way i would like it be when lo's are not here. I absolutely hate it if we have friends round and there's posters and pictures everywhere.

Could do with an extension i think. :)

Bushpig
08-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Have written this twice and then decided to be honest.

My hubby knows he has no choice and comes down the list after the minded children. And for those who think I am joking those who do know me will tell you what a hard time I give my darling hubby lol.

I am lucky in the fact that hubby is around a lot of the time and appreciates how hard I work. He also knows I earn more money than he does and it benefits us. he also knows that I couldn't do any of this without his support I know some out there do not get the support they should.

We also come at this from a different angle in that we have no children of our own so at the end of the day the lo's goes home and we have our house to ourselves. i also have a huge playroom that I can shut the doors on although the rest of hte house still looks like a nursery

Hi Kate,

We are in the same boat... no kids ourselves yet... yet you'd think we had loads with all the stuff we have! ;)

Hubby's home coming time often overlaps with my later kids and the kids absolutely love him! So do the parents.

What I do do, is when the kids go, I have a MAD DASH around, trying to tidy away all toys etc. so when he comes home he comes HOME, not to a mad house.

In the lounge I have a toy box that stays there and books.. the dining table is often piled high with activities and admin, but I am trying to keep that clearer now.

He does comment that the once beautiful guest room we had is now 100% playroom... and he feels my business is taking over the house, which to be fair to him, with posters/kids boxes etc. in the bathroom and playroom and foyer, etc. it does take up a lot of space. :eek: But then he knows (and says) I am so much happier now than when I had my corporate job, am actually making more money than him (to be blunt) so would be silly to stop, and he knows this is my calling, not just a job.

The kids arrive half an hour after he leaves in the am and leave same time/15 mins earlier when he comes home, so my window of tidying up is not big, but I try the best I can. :eek:

I try to keep things as tidy as possible from day to day... and keep everyone happy... kiddy zone when kids are here, and home when hubby is here. :thumbsup:

There are always pros and cons to having your own business and it taking over your home to a certain degree is a con. But a very worthwhile one :)

donnahay0
08-08-2008, 09:14 AM
My husband doesn't particularly like the house being taken over but puts up with it because he knows I earn good money. We came to an agreement that the utility room can have posters, photos, etc etc in without any problems as it is not an important room to the family as a whole (only me really). I have re-named this room the Welcome Room as this is the door/room parents arrive by.

Regarding toy storage I have had to be clever there - againin the "Welcome" Room I have nice colourful storage but in my lounge, conservatory I have used wicker baskets and Ikea cube furniture so it doesn't look like it is filled with toys. This seems to work and keeps me happy too as my kids are all grown up now and I don't particularly want to see toys at the weekend either.

In my conservatory I have got a hanging clear wallet photo folder which can be hung up or taken down whenever. I am looking for a way to do the same with posters - it then takes just a few minutes to change it all back to a 'normal' room again.

The rest of my toy storage goes in one of those large green garden boxes which is kept in the garden - it contains large plastic storage crates full of duplo, happy street etc.

The one area my husband does moan about is the amount of extra time I take doing paperwork - I tell him that it will get easier once I have had a major sort out and get and it has been getting easier. He thinks I should move away from childminding and go into another area linked with children. Maybe he is right - for now I am happy.

mum2two
08-08-2008, 11:31 AM
My hubby loves it so much that he leaves his job today to do it with me!!! :clapping:

He's even got into buying stuff, and saying - 'oh that would be good'. Whereas before he'd say - 'why do you need more stuff, we have enough!!' Funny how's he's seeing things differently now!!!:D

Kelly x

Cammie Doodle
08-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Hubby and son (when he is here ) are both very supportive and are pretty good with the kids. Its me that would like her home back although our lounge is Childminding Free (as they and I need somewhere not child based) Thinking of having a playroom :idea: Paperwork is everywhere, just hoping when EYFS starts proper I will get rid of all excess paper mountain :rolleyes:
I have looked at other jobs, but could not match my earnings and anyway I LOVE MY JOB .;)
Donna I use large cork boards for posters that I take down and hide away .

Pipsqueak
08-08-2008, 12:25 PM
: Paperwork is everywhere, just hoping when EYFS starts proper I will get rid of all excess paper mountain :rolleyes:

:laughing: :laughing: :ROFL1:

Pipsqueak
08-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Didn't mean that last post to be rude though:D

Monkey1
08-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Mine used to hate me doing it, mainly cause he used to get attacked by all the kids when he came home. Now we have moved and i'm in the garage/playroom he's fine! .....trouble is with the price of fuel i will be going into the house for the winter as it costs a FORTUNE to heat the playroom. I'm sure he will hate it again then. My teenage boys HATE it with a passion, although they are both brilliant with the lo's.

I'm sure if Hubby earned enough he would want me to give up:(

Chimps Childminding
08-08-2008, 05:34 PM
My hubby doesn't say much, but I am sure he gets fed up of childminding stuff slowly taking over the house!!!!!!!!!

We no longer have a dining room - its now the playroom - so meals get eaten on our laps, because I moved the table out to put a bigger sofa in :D The walls don't need decorating anymore because you can't see them for posters and every cupboard you open falls out to greet you!!!!!!!!!! Chaos rules most of the time and I would love a separate room to put it all in, but I would need one the size of the house I have already got!!!!!!!!!!!!! the garden is slowly being taken over by sheds for storage, playhouse etc.

On the plus side I am at home with my boys, still able to do most of the running about that they need and able to take them to doctors, dentist etc. which I wouldn't be able to do if I went out to work!!!!!!!!!:laughing:

disney
08-08-2008, 07:18 PM
my hall is covered in posters and certificates ect ,my hubby dont moan about it but hes not keen as are conservertry has changed into a play room & this is were are dinning table is (we paid £ 300 for it with six chairs its very heavy solid pine real classy and now the kids draw , paint ect over it and we no longer eat at the table :( x

Minstrel
08-08-2008, 07:20 PM
I have been fascinated reading all your experiences. i'm just about to start my icp and other halfs all for it. however i think he thinks its just a bit of babysitting and they'll all be nice and quiet like ours.

Have yet to enlighten him...............

Rubybubbles
08-08-2008, 07:48 PM
my hubby had mostly been really supportive! he realises how much hard work goes into it, and how much more is coming into it!

Don't get me wrong he does have a moan and a groan of a weekend (he works away Mon-fri) when he can see all the stuff, but the new house has a dinning room so all the toys are going into there and he suggested putting the children's pictures on the kitchen cupboards as they are a lovely avacardo green:panic:

I know when he finally comes home to live (that sounds bad!) next may he may grumble, but a qucik reminder of how much I earn and the fact I have so many quailfications out of it all, where else would I earn so much and be happy:D

mum26
08-08-2008, 11:41 PM
I know that my husband would rather that I didn't childmind and after having two weeks off I must admit I am feeling a bit hesitant.

He doesn't moan too much, but works shifts so is quite often around in the afternoon when I am caring for the children.