PDA

View Full Version : Pudding or not!!

Amanda70
17-02-2016, 04:43 PM
Could anyone give me advice. I mind a 21 month old who at the moment is not eating all her meals but more than happy to eat her pudding. Would it be wrong to deny her the pudding at this age because of the nutrition it provides or if I give her the pudding am I saying it's ok to leave your meal you'll get pudding anyway.

Any advice would be welcome as not sure what to do. Thanks

moggy
17-02-2016, 05:03 PM
I rarely give puddings at all. Fruit or plain yogurt at lunchtime after their light lunch. I find there's no time in the evening after their hot dinner- occasionally a bit of fruit.
No nutritional need for sweet pudding at all. You can provide all the calories and nutrition in savoury food + fruit.
If she is skipping savoury knowing she'll get a sweet pud then I'd certainly be stopping all sweet puds. They can learn to eat what they are given... it'll need support from home though. Good luck!

Mouse
17-02-2016, 05:32 PM
I rarely give a pudding as I don't see the need.

I would maybe think about why you serve pudding and decide if it's something that any of the children need. If you could stop them completely for a while to see if she'll start eating her meal, there's nothing to say you can't introduce them again at a later date.

loocyloo
17-02-2016, 05:38 PM
We have puddings - mainly fruit, yogurt, custard etc but only when a good attempt has been made at the main course! I find that younger ones eating at the table with the older ones quickly get the idea!

chris goodyear
17-02-2016, 06:07 PM
Agree with lookyloo if they don't finish their main food then they're not hungry. If I know they like it and have finished practically all of it then yes they can have fruit or yoghurt but if not much has been eaten then no. It's surprising that sometimes they feel they do have room after all!

chris goodyear
17-02-2016, 06:08 PM
Agree with loocyloo if they don't finish their main food then they're not hungry. If I know they like it and have finished practically all of it then yes they can have fruit or yoghurt but if not much has been eaten then no. It's surprising that sometimes they feel they do have room after all!

mumofone
17-02-2016, 07:04 PM
I offer my own child fruit or fromage frais and mindee comes with fromage frais (petit filous) too but ive never known or don't know whether these are good or bad for little ones really, anyone know?!

moggy
17-02-2016, 07:30 PM
I offer my own child fruit or fromage frais and mindee comes with fromage frais (petit filous) too but ive never known or don't know whether these are good or bad for little ones really, anyone know?!

Petit Filou-
The little tiny pots have over 5g of sugar in each, that is more than a teaspoon full in each pot (4g sugar = 1 teaspoon full)
The 'Big Pots' have 10g in each, over 10% sugar, over 2 teaspoon fulls.
The Choc-vanilla Petit Filou Little Desserts have over 20% sugar!
No, I would not give one to a child!

(all the data is here: Childrens Fromage Frais, Yogurt and Dairy Products | Petits Filous (http://www.petitsfilous.co.uk/our-range))

Yes, they have calcium in but so does plain yogurt or a glass of milk.

loocyloo
17-02-2016, 08:05 PM

I make my own full fat natural yogurt and we add a spoonful of fruit puree/stewed fruit/fresh fruit or absolute favourite 'sprinkles' :D

petit filous have far too much sugar in them! I can always tell when the only 'yogurt' a mindee eats is petit filous as it takes a while to 'wean' them onto my yogurt!

mumofone
17-02-2016, 08:18 PM
I do give my own child natural yoghurt too but I must now stop with the petit filous...oops feeling very bad! :-(

Mindee has rubbish in their lunchbox generally but what do you do in this instance?

moggy
17-02-2016, 08:25 PM
I do give my own child natural yoghurt too but I must now stop with the petit filous...oops feeling very bad! :-(

Mindee has rubbish in their lunchbox generally but what do you do in this instance?

I don't accept lunchboxes for this reason- I provide a healthy lunch and dinner, one meal for all and that way I am in control!
Could you start including a healthy lunch as part of your service?
Otherwise it is a case of pushing the healthy eating message- leaflet and links to things like:
https://www.nhs.uk/change4life-beta/campaigns/sugar-smart/home?gclid=CJ7q5JPQ_8oCFUefGwodz_UHhg&gclsrc=aw.ds
and pushing the fact that you are required to look out for the health of the children and promote healthy eating, how it is part of the statutory framework, children's activities and topics on 'looking after out teeth' or 'healthy food choices', etc etc... all part of the relationship with parents, not easy I am sure!

mumofone
17-02-2016, 09:14 PM
I don't accept lunchboxes for this reason- I provide a healthy lunch and dinner, one meal for all and that way I am in control!
Could you start including a healthy lunch as part of your service?
Otherwise it is a case of pushing the healthy eating message- leaflet and links to things like:
https://www.nhs.uk/change4life-beta/campaigns/sugar-smart/home?gclid=CJ7q5JPQ_8oCFUefGwodz_UHhg&gclsrc=aw.ds
and pushing the fact that you are required to look out for the health of the children and promote healthy eating, how it is part of the statutory framework, children's activities and topics on 'looking after out teeth' or 'healthy food choices', etc etc... all part of the relationship with parents, not easy I am sure!

Love this link, thank you for sharing :-)

My issue is how to deal with the issue sensitively without appearing to be judging or preaching how to parent...its such a fine line....

loocyloo
17-02-2016, 10:04 PM

I too, provide all food! That way I know everyone has healthy meals and snacks with me.