PDA

View Full Version : Good morning Britain report

natlou82
17-02-2016, 07:53 AM
The news is reporting that nurseries are going to really struggle to offer the 30 hours due to lack of funding. No surprises there! I watched the GMB report with interest, the nursery owner suggested that they may limit their hours to 6 per day and then charge a higher price for the additional hours, interesting! But my blood started to boil when he said standards in nurseries would drop dramatically and they would become "childminders" rather than educators - what a kick in the teeth!

JCrakers
17-02-2016, 08:11 AM
Is that what he said? :eek::eek:

natlou82
17-02-2016, 08:16 AM
Yes - gutted :(

Mouse
17-02-2016, 09:00 AM
I've been following the uproar on facebook.

I think that poor bloke will regret ever agreeing to be interviewed about it!

His words were that without sufficient funding for the free 30 hours the quality of care the children get is going to dramatically change and they (nurseries) are going to become childminders rather than educators.

natlou82
17-02-2016, 09:07 AM
Ooh! I'd not looked at the FB page, seems like I wasn't the only one sitting with an open mouth! I see lots of complaints have been made

Mouse
17-02-2016, 09:18 AM
Ooh! I'd not looked at the FB page, seems like I wasn't the only one sitting with an open mouth! I see lots of complaints have been made

Over 500 comments on the Good Morning Britain page, the majority of them complaints from childminders! And LOTS of comments on the Independent Childminders FB page. A lot of people seem to think he said that children would be forced to go to childminders instead of nurseries (which could have been good news for childminders!), but he actually said that the nurseries would become childminders, not educators because the quality of their care would drop!

He's had lots of offers to go and visit childminders and see what they actually do, so maybe he'll come out of this a lot more educated!!

loocyloo
17-02-2016, 09:43 AM
I just heard something on the news on radio 2 about the report - but it only seemed to be saying that nurseries could not afford to subsidise the funding and nor could the childcare sector as a whole - but I may well have missed something as have 3 loud children here!

Mouse
17-02-2016, 09:50 AM
The report is out today from the National Day Nurseries Association saying that fewer than half the nurseries will be able to afford to offer the 30 free hours as the funding is insufficient.

Good Morning Britain were running the story and interviewed a nursery manager who was agreeing. He was doing OK as he was saying how many nurseries are already working at a loss on funded places, how the industry is poorly paid, how many will not be able to offer the funding etc. Unfortunately he summed it up by saying that if the funding is insufficient the quality of care will drop and nurseries will become childminders instead of educators.

sarah707
17-02-2016, 09:53 AM
We have received an apology - it has just arrived in my emails -

Sarah

May I apologise for the comment this morning. I meant to say babysitting not childminding but in the heat of the moment one can get tongue tied. I believe that childminders fulfil a fantastic role in the childcare sector.

If I get the opportunity I will correct my comments.

Best Wishes, Steve Dyke

Now we need to get it corrected on the television where it was seen by thousands of parents....

natlou82
17-02-2016, 10:11 AM
Thanks Sarah, but I agree he should make a public apology on TV. We are not 2nd class childcare compared to nurseries and he should make that crystal clear.

Mouse
17-02-2016, 10:16 AM
I do feel sorry for him. I'm sure he didn't expect this backlash when he appeared on TV!

natlou82
17-02-2016, 10:31 AM
He'll have learnt a valuable lesson though - think before you speak! To be fair some of his other points were very valid. But don't offend us CMs we are clearly a force to be reckoned with lol!

Mouse
17-02-2016, 10:38 AM
He'll have learnt a valuable lesson though - think before you speak! To be fair some of his other points were very valid. But don't offend us CMs we are clearly a force to be reckoned with lol!

lol! I guess it goes back to the fact that we have had to fight so hard to be accepted as anything other than babysitters that any dig at our profession provokes a huge outcry by so many childminders. Some of them are very easily offended though!

It's a shame really that his main points, and the points of the report, are being overshadowed by the wrath of the childminders!

Simona
17-02-2016, 10:52 AM
is this what they were discussing?

Majority of nurseries may not offer 30-hour childcare | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1156004/majority-of-nurseries-may-not-offer-30-hour-childcare?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

It maybe that Good Morning Britain did not research the topic very well...exactly the mistake made by The Guardian recently when they wrote an article on Cms agencies and quoted the wrong figures

The 30 hours of free childcare will involve everyone in the sector not just nurseries...the underfunding will affect Cms as well as nurseries as everyone will lose money

Radio 4 Woman's Hour covered this topic yesterday too and it had a CM on the panel...worth listening to it if you can find the podcast

I also think that when such comments are made our representing associations are the ones who need to raise the concerns and get them clarified.

Simona
17-02-2016, 11:13 AM
The Mirror too is reporting the nurseries 'struggle' to deliver 30 hours...not a mention of CMs!

Half of nurseries can't afford David Cameron's free childcare pledge - Mirror Online (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/half-nurseries-cant-afford-david-7384768#ICID=sharebar_twitter)

FussyElmo
17-02-2016, 12:58 PM
We have received an apology - it has just arrived in my emails -

Sarah

May I apologise for the comment this morning. I meant to say babysitting not childminding but in the heat of the moment one can get tongue tied. I believe that childminders fulfil a fantastic role in the childcare sector.

If I get the opportunity I will correct my comments.

Best Wishes, Steve Dyke

Now we need to get it corrected on the television where it was seen by thousands of parents....

Sarah has also received this from Steve Dyke.

In another interview today with ITN I had said what a fantastic job childminders and nurseries do for children.

Hopefully that will be broadcast at some time during the day.

Best Wishes Steve Dyke

rickysmiths
17-02-2016, 03:26 PM
He has apologised on the lunchtime ITN News apparently I didn't see it.

He sent the apologies Sarah had to Pacey.

Pacey have issued a statement which is on the GMB website.

Pacey are in production at present with GMB, as a result of the Guardian article. They are filming in cm settings and there should be live interviews in the studio on Monday morning so even before today happened Pacey is making sure that cm have their say.

Simona
18-02-2016, 09:07 AM
Yes I saw the statement issued by pacey and it seems the guy meant to say babysitting but said CMs instead?

The Guardian article contained misinformation...it has not been challenged though although people spotted it

Surely Pacey and others are aware there are registered agencies with registered cms on their books?
they must also know like everyone else that the 30 hours is not going to be delivered just by nurseries but the entire sector....and most important is not compulsory to do so
Why don't they wait and see what the trials come up with and what the funding is for it?

rickysmiths
20-02-2016, 03:04 PM
Yes I saw the statement issued by pacey and it seems the guy meant to say babysitting but said CMs instead?

The Guardian article contained misinformation...it has not been challenged though although people spotted it

Surely Pacey and others are aware there are registered agencies with registered cms on their books?
they must also know like everyone else that the 30 hours is not going to be delivered just by nurseries but the entire sector....and most important is not compulsory to do so
Why don't they wait and see what the trials come up with and what the funding is for it?

No sure what you mean Simona. Pacey is well aware that there are cm registered with Agencies and there may well be some among their membership. Whether they monitor or are aware or are able to see which ones are I don't know.

Of Course Pacey are well aware that the additional 15 hours will be delivered by the entire sector, they were involved along with childminder members in consultations about the funding with the Department of Education. Indeed I was present at one of the round the table meetings as I am sure other members on here may have been around the Country.

No doubt they will be as interested as all of us to see the results of the Trials.

Oh and if you had read my post you would see indeed Pacey have challenged the Guardian article and are preparing part of a TV report on it including childminders!

Simona
21-02-2016, 08:52 AM
RS...thank you for your reply....I know what I meant.

I was at a meeting yesterday with different providers from the EY sector...my understanding is they differ from your opinion.
I have also booked on a conference in April on the 30 hours to hear the wider views from the sector, politicians and our associations...including Pacey who will be there as will mine.

I also have booked on EduFest in June where this topic is on the agenda...good to hear all sides of the argument.
If you listen to those who are on the trials they are totally confused as to what is going on and what they expect.