PDA

View Full Version : Taking over a school After School Club

poults1987
16-02-2016, 04:28 PM
Long story short; I currently run a sports coaching business at a school and they have asked if I can take over the current after school club they run (As it is failing). The club runs from 3pm to 6pm for children in year's Reception to 6. As I have only run a sports business I have never needed to get an OFSTED report (Providing only 1 activity).

If I go down this route of taking over the club I will need to get a an OFSTED report. Looking at what paper work needs to be in place can I basically use all of the schools policies and change them to my trading name? Insurence, staff etc... I am up to date on because of my sports business so I wont need to worry about that side of things.

moggy
17-02-2016, 02:44 PM
Does this help:

Ofsted registration for your out of school club | Out of School Alliance (http://www.outofschoolalliance.co.uk/ofsted)

And I would definitely call/email Ofsted and talk through your plans- too important to get wrong or risk being mis-informed!

Good luck with it.

mumofone
17-02-2016, 04:34 PM
Long story short; I currently run a sports coaching business at a school and they have asked if I can take over the current after school club they run (As it is failing). The club runs from 3pm to 6pm for children in year's Reception to 6. As I have only run a sports business I have never needed to get an OFSTED report (Providing only 1 activity). If I go down this route of taking over the club I will need to get a an OFSTED report. Looking at what paper work needs to be in place can I basically use all of the schools policies and change them to my trading name? Insurence, staff etc... I am up to date on because of my sports business so I wont need to worry about that side of things.

On what basis is the after school falling can I ask? X

mama2three
18-02-2016, 07:38 AM
Your policies would be very different to the schools , you dont have the various roles relevant in a school such as governers and local authorities which will be mentioned throughout. What you would do in various situations will be very different to what the school would do - in relation to complaints , or to accidents for example. You also have different guidelines and responsibilities.
I would be concerned also from a business perspective. If this is a failing business the do you feel you can turn it around to make a profit? Is there the market? Schools regularly charge next to nothing for the service - and what you can charge for coaching is very different to what parents will pay for 'care'.

Simona
20-02-2016, 08:18 AM
Long story short; I currently run a sports coaching business at a school and they have asked if I can take over the current after school club they run (As it is failing). The club runs from 3pm to 6pm for children in year's Reception to 6. As I have only run a sports business I have never needed to get an OFSTED report (Providing only 1 activity).

If I go down this route of taking over the club I will need to get a an OFSTED report. Looking at what paper work needs to be in place can I basically use all of the schools policies and change them to my trading name? Insurence, staff etc... I am up to date on because of my sports business so I wont need to worry about that side of things.

This kind of thing has happened a lot recently where schools have decided to close their clubs as failing...that can mean they are not viable or have not enough staff to run them or low demand.

You are taking over from the school so it will depend what type of deal is in place....will it be your own club or you managing it for the school?
Discuss with the school....then call Ofsted to get your registration going

From January 2016 many school clubs can be run/managed by cms as well

Good luck with your new venture