PDA

View Full Version : Article in The Guardian saying what we all already knew!

Pixie dust
15-02-2016, 04:03 PM
Interesting article in the paper today re drop in childminder numbers and childminder agencies a big flop.

Number of childminders in England falls by 10,000 in five years | Money | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/15/number-of-childminders-england-falls-10000-in-five-years)

mumofone
15-02-2016, 07:54 PM
Interesting article in the paper today re drop in childminder numbers and childminder agencies a big flop. Number of childminders in England falls by 10,000 in five years | Money | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/15/number-of-childminders-england-falls-10000-in-five-years)

Thanks for sharing :-) x

Mouse
15-02-2016, 08:20 PM
I was reading that earlier.

They're using old information as there are now 8 agencies and they do have childminders signed up. It's still good to see some one speaking out against agencies though :thumbsup:

bunyip
15-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Not sure what to say. Statistically, the graph proves that the rot set it just after I registered. :p

(Should I apologise?) :huh:

Simona
16-02-2016, 09:17 AM
Such a shame that The Guardian has not checked the facts regarding Cms agencies....once again Cms have been portrayed in the wrong light....I read it and found it told us an awful lot of assumptions and inaccuracy

In one paragraph the article states :

Figures in Ofstedā€™s annual report show that just five agencies are registered with Ofsted, and to date none have childminders signed up with them.

Agencies have certainly been slow to take off but they are still a threat to ICMs
There are well over 5 agencies registered and 2 have members already on their books...maybe time for Lucy Powell to start taking EY under her wing since, as Shadow minister for Education, she does not like govt's policy but has offered little alternative in return

Cms do have to fund their own training now but that goes for nurseries as well
Cms have lost support from LAs but so have nurseries and preschool...so why make cms look like the Cinderellas of the sector

The article mentions cms inability to draw funding for their own children...but there is no response from anyone in the article stating how discriminatory that is....and why nursery staff can draw funding for their own children but cms can't?
I didn't read anyone saying they would campaign to reverse that flawed policy

Ofsted inspection sound like a nightmare in that article...we know it is not really so.
costs are growing...that is very true as they are for nurseries and the reason why cms are leaving are very varied.

All I hear and read is a lot of people being very sarcastic about agencies' slow progress or lack of success ...until they are taken out of the Children and Families Act no one can rest assured or rely on that sarcasm.

Above all we must make sure Ofsted does not endorse agencies as they have done in the past as a reason for cms to get better support or raise their standards...that has already happened by Wilshaw's own statistics which he is conveniently forgetting.

We must also remind Ofsted that agencies save the inspectorate a lot of money but do not guarantee safeguarding children well or raising individual cms' standards
is there an interest in Ofsted endorsing agencies especially now their budget has been cut?

I am surprised at The Guardian as I read it and find on the whole very good ...I will certainly flag this up as I am sure they can address the inaccuracies by contacting a few MPs.

And for once the fault of this policy lies at the govt's doorstep...or will they try and blame Labour for this too?
The rot set in the minute Truss was elevated to a role she knew nothing about but relied on her senseless ideology which Gyimah is following blindly...sad but true!.

Kiddleywinks
16-02-2016, 12:51 PM
The rot set in the minute Truss was elevated to a role she knew nothing about but relied on her senseless ideology which Gyimah is following blindly...sad but true!.

:clapping::clapping: absolutely agree with your statement :clapping::clapping: