PDA

View Full Version : Pads and colouring pens for under 2's

mumofone
14-02-2016, 08:42 AM
I'm looking for some felt tip like colouring pens or similar that I can use for little ones (under 2) that are easy to wash off them afterwards and also some paper that maybe lends itself well to be used when sat in their high chair? I'm not sure exactly what I need, any ideas? Thank you :-)

FloraDora
14-02-2016, 09:09 AM
I have these: their nib will work whatever angle it is used at which I find helps for fascination in mark making.

Crayola First Markers at wilko.com (http://www.wilko.com/pens-and-pencils/crayola-first-markers/invt/0230187)

Not quite sure what you mean about specific paper for high chair use - do you mean the size of the paper to fit in a tray?

With all felt tips you need a slightly heavy quality paper so that the ink doesn't go through - I just use computer type paper - I find Sainsburys basics is good. Or blank backs of non shiny greetings cards / inside left hand side. My regular 'lets persuade you to take up virgin media ' letter I find is lovely quality - and it's only ever printed on one side.

I have mine in the writing corner permanently, with the other writing materials. I offer them on a small tray, not a tub so that when they take the lids off the lids go in the tray, not roll around and fall off the table. My under 2 copies everything the older ones do so already uses this system, when they swap colour they put the lid back on and leave it in the tray, not the table. The lids are sometimes too tricky for younger ones but if the pen is just in the tray it doesn't mark anything else. So it's a 'in your hand or in the tray ' rule here. Works well. I did try a system where the lids are permanently fixed into clay, then they just have to pop the pen back into the lid upside down, but I didn't find it as useful as it sounded on the blog I got it from.
I have a DH made clip tray so that their paper stays firm as they scribble, but if I use a high chair I generally would use masking tape to keep the paper fixed to the tray. I find younger children get more freedom for doing big scribbles if they are standing up- I sometimes tape a huge piece of paper to the table and they scribble and draw all day. Another favourite activity is rolled out paper on the floor and they just sit in the middle and draw around them, but this has to be completed in the kitchen or outside as all my other floors are carpeted.

singingcactus
14-02-2016, 12:35 PM
For my under 12 months who still use a high chair I give them semi permanent marker pens and let them go wild on the high chair tray itself, it wipes off easily.
For over 12 months I let them use soft wax crayons, oil pastels and pencils, chalks or any old cheap marker pen (must be cheap ones cos they usually ruin them), or biros.
I tend to have my younger children standing at a table rather than sitting, they get better strength behind their drawing that way.

tulip0803
14-02-2016, 12:45 PM
I use Giotto Maxi pens for little ones - They are chunky and robust and seem to withstand lots of abuse and last ages. I buy tubs of 48 for about £9 Giotto Maxi Fibre Tip Pens (http://www.yellowmoon.org.uk/giotto-maxi-fibre-tip-pens) sometimes doesn't all come off in the first wash but always comes off in the bath at home.

Paper we use anything I find that is cheap and reasonably thick, at the moment we have white copier paper from Asda, coloured copier paper from Lidl, sugar paper from Yellow moon and various colours of card. I have boosters seats at the table so they can sit at the table to do arts & crafts.

Mouse
14-02-2016, 05:06 PM
Another nice idea for little ones sat in a highchair is black paper taped to the tray (I use masking tape) and chalks for them to use. You can get some nice chunky chalks that are easy for them to hold and clean pretty easily off clothes, child and chair.

mumofone
14-02-2016, 08:29 PM
Another nice idea for little ones sat in a highchair is black paper taped to the tray (I use masking tape) and chalks for them to use. You can get some nice chunky chalks that are easy for them to hold and clean pretty easily off clothes, child and chair.

Aw love this idea, thank you :-)

mumofone
14-02-2016, 08:31 PM
I use Giotto Maxi pens for little ones - They are chunky and robust and seem to withstand lots of abuse and last ages. I buy tubs of 48 for about £9 Giotto Maxi Fibre Tip Pens (http://www.yellowmoon.org.uk/giotto-maxi-fibre-tip-pens) sometimes doesn't all come off in the first wash but always comes off in the bath at home. Paper we use anything I find that is cheap and reasonably thick, at the moment we have white copier paper from Asda, coloured copier paper from Lidl, sugar paper from Yellow moon and various colours of card. I have boosters seats at the table so they can sit at the table to do arts & crafts.

Thanks tulip, I already have these (possibly bought on your recommendation?!), I find I can't wash then off easily on my own child without a bath so was looking for something more easily removable.
I need to get booster seat...which ones have you got?

mumofone
14-02-2016, 08:33 PM
I have these: their nib will work whatever angle it is used at which I find helps for fascination in mark making. Crayola First Markers at wilko.com (http://www.wilko.com/pens-and-pencils/crayola-first-markers/invt/0230187) Not quite sure what you mean about specific paper for high chair use - do you mean the size of the paper to fit in a tray? With all felt tips you need a slightly heavy quality paper so that the ink doesn't go through - I just use computer type paper - I find Sainsburys basics is good. Or blank backs of non shiny greetings cards / inside left hand side. My regular 'lets persuade you to take up virgin media ' letter I find is lovely quality - and it's only ever printed on one side. I have mine in the writing corner permanently, with the other writing materials. I offer them on a small tray, not a tub so that when they take the lids off the lids go in the tray, not roll around and fall off the table. My under 2 copies everything the older ones do so already uses this system, when they swap colour they put the lid back on and leave it in the tray, not the table. The lids are sometimes too tricky for younger ones but if the pen is just in the tray it doesn't mark anything else. So it's a 'in your hand or in the tray ' rule here. Works well. I did try a system where the lids are permanently fixed into clay, then they just have to pop the pen back into the lid upside down, but I didn't find it as useful as it sounded on the blog I got it from. I have a DH made clip tray so that their paper stays firm as they scribble, but if I use a high chair I generally would use masking tape to keep the paper fixed to the tray. I find younger children get more freedom for doing big scribbles if they are standing up- I sometimes tape a huge piece of paper to the table and they scribble and draw all day. Another favourite activity is rolled out paper on the floor and they just sit in the middle and draw around them, but this has to be completed in the kitchen or outside as all my other floors are carpeted.

Thanks flora, I'm Going to order some of these :-)
Thank you!!! :-)

alex__17
15-02-2016, 08:05 AM
Those chunky crayola ones my friend recommended, really nice to use and apparently wash of child, clothes and surfaces very easily!
Didn't realise wilkos did them, will be getting some as we've just had a big wilkos open in town :-)

greenfaerie
15-02-2016, 12:04 PM
I use the crayola chunky ones and I haven't had an issue with getting pen off just with a wipe so far. :) I usually just blue tack the paper to the high chair so that it stays in place. I'm looking for a way to rethink my mark making for the 12 month old I mind. Trying to figure how to offer free access without my house getting destroyed. :)

Mouse
15-02-2016, 01:24 PM
I use the crayola chunky ones and I haven't had an issue with getting pen off just with a wipe so far. :) I usually just blue tack the paper to the high chair so that it stays in place. I'm looking for a way to rethink my mark making for the 12 month old I mind. Trying to figure how to offer free access without my house getting destroyed. :)

I use these so the little ones can have free access

Mini Artist My First Scribbler - Jungle : Mini Artist My First Scribbler - Jungle : Early Learning Centre UK Toy Shop (http://www.elc.co.uk/Mini-Artist-My-First-Scribbler---Jungle/132606,default,pd.html)

loocyloo
15-02-2016, 01:30 PM
I use these so the little ones can have free access

Mini Artist My First Scribbler - Jungle : Mini Artist My First Scribbler - Jungle : Early Learning Centre UK Toy Shop (http://www.elc.co.uk/Mini-Artist-My-First-Scribbler---Jungle/132606,default,pd.html)

I use these as well for my LOs.
I have a chalk board always available too.

I used to have aquadraw available but got fed up of LOs sucking the pens or just squeezing water everywhere.

greenfaerie
15-02-2016, 03:41 PM
I use these so the little ones can have free access Mini Artist My First Scribbler - Jungle : Mini Artist My First Scribbler - Jungle : Early Learning Centre UK Toy Shop (http://www.elc.co.uk/Mini-Artist-My-First-Scribbler---Jungle/132606,default,pd.html)

Thanks for that Mouse! I've got one but I was worried that it wasn't age appropriate, this is much better. :)

mumofone
17-02-2016, 08:50 PM
On this (sort of!) subject, what do you guys recommend as first paints for little ones?

Maza
17-02-2016, 09:11 PM
You can make your own paints if you are worried that the little ones will eat it - and the older ones quite enjoy the process - a bit like potion making. Other than that I just tend to use the ELC paints or some paints from the £ shop. I also invested in some lovely powder paints but we don't actually uses them that often as not as convenient.

alex__17
17-02-2016, 09:36 PM
I got classroom size bottles from crafty crocodile, they had a box of 12 or 15 colours and they've lasted ages, I was so sick of buying little bottles from sainsburys etc and they got used so quick