PDA

View Full Version : 6 Years On

CCJD
12-02-2016, 10:58 PM
It's been six years since I last posted on this board sharing that it was my last day after 10 years of being a childminder. I loved being a childminder, especially when my children were young but as they grew older it just became less relevant to our family. I always had the nagging worry though that childminding and the skills I got from it wouldnt be recognised or useful, working in any other field.

But I couldn't have been more wrong and today as I was thinking back on this I remembered all the well wishers and people on here who asked me to let them know how I got on and I wanted to give courage to anyone who feels how I felt back then.

I left childminding to go and work as a family support worker for children's services. After 3 years (thanks in part to my childminding sponsored level 4 qualification), I was accepted on the councils sponsored social work degree programme and am happy to say I am now a fully qualified social worker working in front line children's services.

There is not a day that goes by that I don't use the skills and knowledge that I gained as a minder - from helping overwhelmed parents with large families, to having a really good understanding of child development, knowing how to tackle different behaviours to knowing how likely certain accidents are. My 10 years in minding gave me such a good understanding of children and how to communicate with them, that I am thankful every day of my time as a minder.

So if there is anyone out there who is worried, like I was, about what they can do if childminding no longer suits them, take heart and know there is loads!!

Xx

natlou82
13-02-2016, 08:00 AM
I just wanted to say well done :-). I have always been interested in that field. It's good to know that there's other options out there if it gets to the point where childminding no longer works for me.

rickysmiths
13-02-2016, 12:44 PM
Well done to you for finding a different field to work in and that you are happy in.

I have been a childminder for 21 years now and I love it despite the huge changes I have seen in that time. My two were nearly 2 and 11 months old when I took on my first 16 week old minded child and I went on to have his brother as well.

I went to college many moons ago and one of the fields of work I could have gone into was Social Work. I did a month of work experience and I have to say it made me realise it was a field of work I would never ever go into. I was saddened even at the young age I was doing the training, at the poor quality and attitude of staff in the place I worked in and I do hope standards have gone well up since then.

samb
13-02-2016, 02:11 PM
That's inspiring. Well done uou

mumofone
13-02-2016, 10:05 PM
As samb said :-) thank you for sharing :-)

gemgem12
13-02-2016, 10:32 PM
That's brilliant, well done. I am currently a family support worker (was in family centre but is now within a children's centre) and have recently registered as a childminder. I think the two link together really well as, although you don't directly look after children when a family support worker, you are supporting families and following similar policies and procedures. And i look forward to incorporating my family worker skills and being able to offer any support or signpost childminding families on where required. X