PDA

View Full Version : Coughing - tissue or hand?

Maza
12-02-2016, 01:53 PM
I was just wondering what you all ask the children to do when they cough or sneeze? I've always encouraged them to put their hand over the mouth but I know some people are frowning upon this for obvious reasons - ie the child then touches all the toys/door handles etc with that same hand. I know that a tissue isn't always at hand and so the child's hand is obviously better than nothing. If they do use their hand do you then get them to immediately to wash their hand (if convenient), or would you only do it for the more yucky coughs and sneezes?

I guess common sense and practicality prevails in the end, but was just wondering what the latest protocol/advice is.

AliceK
12-02-2016, 02:00 PM
Myself I cough into the inside of arm between my elbow and shoulder and this is what my own children and some older mindees do now but personally I think it's an achievement if I can get my 2 x 2yr olds to use their hand :)

xx

moggy
12-02-2016, 02:08 PM
Teaching them to cough into the crook of their arm helps reduce germs on hands.

Jessymax
12-02-2016, 02:17 PM
I carry anti bac gel in pram and lounge at home so its usually handy

clareelizabeth1
12-02-2016, 04:39 PM
When i worked in a kitchen we were taught to cough or sneeze on to our shoulder.

moggy
12-02-2016, 04:44 PM
The handy thing with them coughing or sneezing into the crook of their arm is that it is then just one smooth movement into the nose-wipe-on-cuff... lovely :p

sarah707
12-02-2016, 05:11 PM
We teach children to cough into the crook of their arms and we use an antibac sheet on their jumper / shirt :D