PDA

View Full Version : can somebody give me some 'paperwork help please'

Jessymax
12-02-2016, 09:54 AM
Hi so this is my third month of child minding and I am finding my feet in the general routine of the day, the children etc BUT it has just dawned on me from reading other posts about mountains of paperwork.. I don't really feel like im doing that much and I hope im not missing something terribly obvious and important...

So daily each child has a book which I use as a daily diary AND put obs in usually one a week per child or more if they do something WOW :)
I fill out a register every day and have a daily diary where I literally 'jot down' planning ideas definitely NOT much detail..
Ihavent yet written next step but know what each childs is and am alrwady working on it with them where should I be writing this how often do u set one and how complex? one little boys is ' be more independent with dressing self.. when started would not enterain doing anything imself now already he comes in from outside takes gloves and hat off and puts in bag
I am up to date with all my policies ( I think) try to do one online course/training a month last month did food allergy this month did one on prevent duty.
I have just started to think about beginning my SEF although again this is not a requirement but I have read up and it looks as though Ofsted like it..

I don't do school pick ups so no over 5s and that wont change so I guess that saves me a bit of work knowing I will only ever have 3 a day (4 if holidays over lapped extra days etc)

I have just found a piece of paper from my registration with lots of stuff written that I wish I had expanded on at the time as I forgot why I wrote it down but there are things like
registering as a food business- do I need to do this?
schematic play/schemers?
Liasing with professionals

any help or advise greatly received over here! thank you xx

k1rstie
12-02-2016, 11:18 AM
Are you keeping an accurate register, are you keeping records of your expenses?

Jessymax
12-02-2016, 11:57 AM
yep and yep ( I hope I can answer that to everyones questions ) xx

moggy
12-02-2016, 12:18 PM
You will have been automatically registered with your local Env.Health as a food provider, so nothing to do there. Some LAs do come out and do food hygiene inspections, some do not- you'll have to find local knowledge to work that out!

Liaising with professionals will come up as needed- if you have a LO who has a speech and language therepist or you need to make a contact with your local SEND team about concerns about a child etc etc or if a child is attending another setting as well as you... in those situations you will be working with other professionals- good to keep notes on that in your SEF, shows good practice.

An easy way of doing next steps is to add them directly to 'wow moments'/obs- so you immediately think of what step is next or what activity will help them. ie:... 'Billy is enjoying pouring water at the water tray, improving accuracy. Next step: help Billy to pour his own drink at snack time'. That way it is all in one, no extra paper/documents and parents see it at the same time as they see the obs.

Jessymax
12-02-2016, 01:20 PM
what about schemers ( sorry if being really thick ive worked in lots of childcare settings and NEVER heard this word before??

moggy
12-02-2016, 01:38 PM
what about schemers ( sorry if being really thick ive worked in lots of childcare settings and NEVER heard this word before??

Pacey do a free training course for members- 'Schemas', the blurb:

If you are fascinated by children’s repeated patterns of behaviour then this course will explain what a schema is and provide detail on the theories behind them. The value of schemas in supporting children's learning and development is explored.

You may have noticed a range of different behaviours, from transporting objects from one place to another to children covering things or wrapping them up. The different types of schema are explained

Observations inform your planning and so next you will explore the value of schemas to help plan activities and provide opportunities for next steps in each child's development.

An enabling environment plays a key part in supporting children to experience a range of opportunities and to be active in their learning, in this section you will explore ideas and reflect on your current practice.

Parents have a key role to play in supporting schemas at home, in the final part you can reflect on how you can ensure you raise parents' awareness and provide ideas that can be shared.

I have not done training in them but have read a bit... it is not essential, just a theory that some people find useful for understanding child's behaviour, something you might want to add to your plan for future research/training/CPD. There are various 'schemas/early years' books available on Amazon etc and a bit of googling will find you the basics.