PDA

View Full Version : New prospective childminder

Poerava
11-02-2016, 01:50 PM
Hi all,

I am looking to become a childminder in Hampshire. I have contacted my LA and I am waiting to hear back right now.
I'd love any and all info anyone is willing to share with me about the process (how long it takes, costs, etc..).
I was a nanny for 10 years before having my own children (my boys are currently 2.5 years old and 10 months old) and it is now time to think about going back to work.

Thanks

Rick
11-02-2016, 08:13 PM
This thread is a good place to start

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder-updated-06-2014-a.html

Jessymax
13-02-2016, 04:12 PM
the whole process took me about 5 years ( by choice as I kept going and coming back to it) but I think even people trying to register quickly it is a lengthy process. Also im not sure if your aware but you are only able to take 3 eyfs (under 5s) a day as you have 2 young children that would only leave you one space a day so financially wouldn't be great for you? x

Jo-B
13-02-2016, 06:03 PM
Hello, I'm currently going through the training.
Time wise it depends on the course dates, we have a 3 hour debrief session and the 3 hours a week for 5 weeks course.
Also need your first aid and then your ready for ofsted.
So far i've had to pay: £15 debrief, £150 course; £70 first Aid; £52 (x2 for hubby) dbs checks
Then i've still got (rough price) £35 Ofsted; £92 insurance; doctors fee

I've also got two boys (3year old and 10month old).

Good luck :)

Poerava
13-02-2016, 08:09 PM
the whole process took me about 5 years ( by choice as I kept going and coming back to it) but I think even people trying to register quickly it is a lengthy process. Also im not sure if your aware but you are only able to take 3 eyfs (under 5s) a day as you have 2 young children that would only leave you one space a day so financially wouldn't be great for you? x

I am aware and I am fine with that. I am looking at a way to bring in even a little bit of income while still caring for my boys. We live across the road from an infant school and a lot of people in our area need childminders for after school care.

gemgem12
13-02-2016, 10:39 PM
Hi, I started the process last summer and became registered earlier this month. After applying online, I was held up waiting for my husbands dbs check to be completed so I would advise you apply for this asap in the process as you can't complete the online application until you do. Something I wish I'd of known! Once they had received the DBS checks, application and doctors check (I didn't pay for this) then it was really quick. I'd advise ringing to check with ofsted where abouts you are in the process as you can then move things along a bit faster. X