PDA

View Full Version : Medication permission help please

Mouse
11-02-2016, 01:30 PM
I'm just updating my permission forms and what to check that I've got the medication part covered.

My permission form is for things like going on outings, applying suncream, taking photos etc.

I don't have any mention of permission to prescribe medication as I do that separately. I don't keep medication in for children (no paracentamol kept in) so I don't have a blanket permission to administer it. If parents provide any medication I get a permission form completed that day. That covers for any medication, so anything that needs giving at a specific time or anything that needs to be given as and when (as in, when they say 'here's Calpol in case they need it).

Does that cover it or should there be a blanket permission to administer medication even if I don't keep any in and couldn't administer it?

And am I right in thinking we no longer have to have permission to treat or seek advice in an emergency?

Maza
11-02-2016, 02:10 PM
I would say you were okay with what you do, but someone else will hopefully come along who knows more about it.

I was also told to get permission to apply plasters if we needed to.

loocyloo
11-02-2016, 02:16 PM
I do have permission to administer medication if required, but do also require parents signing in the morning if they know child will need it during day. Most children have a couple of (named and signed) sachets of calpol in a box in my cupboard for emergencies.

We don't have to have permission to seek emergency medical treatment, but I do ... However I also tell parents that in an emergency I would seek help whatever they said!

I have a 'medical form' that includes giving medication, seeking treatment, using plasters/bite cream etc as well as permission to leave child with responsible adult in case of emergency. I also ask parents to put their emergency contacts on this form.

BallyH
11-02-2016, 02:25 PM
I'm just updating my permission forms and what to check that I've got the medication part covered.

My permission form is for things like going on outings, applying suncream, taking photos etc.

I don't have any mention of permission to prescribe medication as I do that separately. I don't keep medication in for children (no paracentamol kept in) so I don't have a blanket permission to administer it. If parents provide any medication I get a permission form completed that day. That covers for any medication, so anything that needs giving at a specific time or anything that needs to be given as and when (as in, when they say 'here's Calpol in case they need it).

Does that cover it or should there be a blanket permission to administer medication even if I don't keep any in and couldn't administer it?

And am I right in thinking we no longer have to have permission to treat or seek advice in an emergency?

I didn't know about not having permission to treat/seek advice in an emergency. All my current children have one. With regard to having a blanket permission form for medication I do have one. However it goes on to state that they know I don't have any medication in my home and they have to supply it, in labelled bottle etc, plus provide a prewritten note to say time, dosage and frequency, last administered etc. And finally they'll signed the medication book on collection of child. I'll put my hands up. I'm a 'if I think they'll want to see it I'll have it then, cm'. But others may say we don't need it.

moggy
11-02-2016, 02:34 PM
I would say you were okay with what you do, but someone else will hopefully come along who knows more about it.

I was also told to get permission to apply plasters if we needed to.

The permission for plasters thing is only in case of allergies to some types of plasters.

You do not need permission to use a plaster... or a triangular bandage, or micropore tape, or a dressing, or a stretchy bandage, or anything else that might be in your first aid kit!! You use/do what you were trained to do at your first aid course.

Maza
11-02-2016, 04:09 PM
The permission for plasters thing is only in case of allergies to some types of plasters.

You do not need permission to use a plaster... or a triangular bandage, or micropore tape, or a dressing, or a stretchy bandage, or anything else that might be in your first aid kit!! You use/do what you were trained to do at your first aid course.

No I know! That would be madness, lol!