PDA

View Full Version : 3 under 2?

mumofone
11-02-2016, 01:17 PM
...would it be a total nightmare? What about with a couple of schoolies too? Anyone do this? How Dyou handle school runs?

k1rstie
11-02-2016, 01:20 PM
Three 18 month plus kids together, what fun you would have!!! Never a dull moment!!!!!!

mumofone
11-02-2016, 01:27 PM
Three 18 month plus kids together, what fun you would have!!! Never a dull moment!!!!!!

12 months + ...Yeh exactly....am I mad!

JCrakers
11-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Do-able but sounds hard work :laughing:

The only problem I would have is getting out and about as I don't have a car for work. A double buggy and a buggy board would be fine as long as one of the mindees is old enough to stand on it properly :D

I've had a baby and an under two before but along with a 2.5yr old who was a fantastic walker and buggy board for tired legs :thumbsup:

loocyloo
11-02-2016, 01:32 PM
my 3 under 2, and are now 3 under 3 ... but at one point they were 17 mth, 14 mth and 10 mth!!! all boys and absolutely fantastic! they all get on so well, and are great friends. we have so much fun.

I also have another day of 3 under 3 who are now - 27mth, 24mth and 23mth! had them together for 6 mths - Brilliant!

I love having 3 of a similar age.

I often have schoolies with that combination and it works for me.

I use a double buggy with easy X rider ( buggy board that has a (removeable) seat that you can strap a LO into! ) and some very slow walks :D

Mouse
11-02-2016, 01:36 PM
I love having 3 little ones, but never have 3 non-walkers.

I'm happy with 2 non-walkers and one who can at least toddle, but in an emergency or at a group I would struggle with 3 that couldn't walk. The walker doesn't have to be a fully walking child (ie. they don't need to be able to walk to toddler group), but they do need to be able to be shepherded along if I'm carrying another 2.

I don't have a triple pushchair either (and have no intention of getting one) so I need to know that one can manage on a buggy board or seat.

mumofone
11-02-2016, 01:37 PM
my 3 under 2, and are now 3 under 3 ... but at one point they were 17 mth, 14 mth and 10 mth!!! all boys and absolutely fantastic! they all get on so well, and are great friends. we have so much fun. I also have another day of 3 under 3 who are now - 27mth, 24mth and 23mth! had them together for 6 mths - Brilliant! I love having 3 of a similar age. I often have schoolies with that combination and it works for me. I use a double buggy with easy X rider ( buggy board that has a (removeable) seat that you can strap a LO into! ) and some very slow walks :D

Which buggy board dyou use loocyloo?

Dyou use any reins or wrist straps or anything on the school runs for the little ones?

mumofone
11-02-2016, 01:38 PM
What age do they stand properly on a buggy board? Would a girl stand on it as happily as a boy dyou think?!

Maza
11-02-2016, 01:50 PM
I prefer reins to wrist straps - wrist straps just don't look like they encourage a natural posture to me. I have used regular reins from both Mothercare and Boots.

Just be realistic about what you can do on the days where you have all three. So your outdoor time might just be in your garden for the first few weeks until they are better at walking and until you have trained them to stand still and not run off whilst you get the other two out of the pushchair etc. Then you can tackle playgroups. As each month goes by they will be getting stronger, more independent and better at walking.

mumofone
11-02-2016, 01:53 PM
I've heard some people are very anti reins, I'm worried about getting dirty looks haha!

BallyH
11-02-2016, 02:03 PM
I've heard some people are very anti reins, I'm worried about getting dirty looks haha!
I use to put a wrist strap on mine and 'hung' an old coat belt from each side of the pram so the toddlers hold/hang on to that as it's easier for them to reach (u can buy a product for this purpose but my coat belts look just as good.) I would have the other end of the wrist strap around my wrist and the excess strap scrunched in my hand so the toddler hasn't any slack to think they can walk off. I''ve used reins but they are short and I found most toddlers start to go 'dead legged' then you'd do your back in wanking/stopping them from smacking their heads and then before you know it they somehow swung around to the back of your legs.

moggy
11-02-2016, 02:04 PM

I could not be out by a road with a baby in buggy + 2 toddlers walking without them on reins. It is the moment you are distracted by the baby throwing off their hat or one of the toddler falling over and that split second is the moment one of them will be off and it only takes a moment for them to get a long way from you.
Until they are really really reliable at holding on and I can really trust then (usually near 3yo) I have them on reins- (little back pack with parent-strap).
As for dirty looks- the only dirty looks I am worried about would be when a 2yo is toddling off on their own while I am sorting out one of the other children. I have never had a negative comment about reins- in fact I am often complimented on the fact I have them walking rather than all in buggy.

Maza
11-02-2016, 02:07 PM

I love them and feel safer when the little toddlers are wearing them. If you come across someone who is anti-reins ask them why. You will be able to counter act any argument. Sometimes the little ones prefer to hold your hand and sometimes they just don't want to. Reins still give them freedom to run ahead a little bit, stop to pick up a leaf, hold hands with their friend instead of you etc. At the end of the day you'll have more children than hands and so you need to keep them safe. Having said that though, I do always get parents permission to use reins.

No one looks twice around here at children in reins, but when I was in South Africa and DD was 13 months old I got tons and tons of smirks and comments! Several people literally said "woah, she must be a live wire!" (or similar). My South African SIL was telling me about her little brothers when they were DDs age and she said that they were so wild that their mum "had to resort to those reins that they wear on their back" and she expected me to be so shocked! She didn't expect me to produce some out of my bag for my placid little toddler! I honestly couldn't believe the difference in attitude to reins over there!

loocyloo
11-02-2016, 02:22 PM
Which buggy board dyou use loocyloo?

Dyou use any reins or wrist straps or anything on the school runs for the little ones?

I use the easy X rider as I mentioned in my original post.

I also use reins and also have 'magic straps' on my buggy (aka dog leads attached with handle at end) the children hold this and so are 'attached' to me, but don't get under my feet or wheels and can let go if they are going to fall over!

I really don't like wrist straps as I don't feel they are safe and could hurt a child's shoulder/arm if pulled.

JCrakers
11-02-2016, 02:24 PM
I use reins with the walkers. I'd definitely go for reins for safety, plus holding hands always gives me a bad back.

I prefer reins over a wrist strap as if they trip over you've got more control to stop them hitting the floor, saving knees, time and tears :D

Or, if you have a bit of extra cash, those little backpacks with strap attached are good.

Maza
11-02-2016, 03:04 PM
I use to put a wrist strap on mine and 'hung' an old coat belt from each side of the pram so the toddlers hold/hang on to that as it's easier for them to reach (u can buy a product for this purpose but my coat belts look just as good.) I would have the other end of the wrist strap around my wrist and the excess strap scrunched in my hand so the toddler hasn't any slack to think they can walk off. I''ve used reins but they are short and I found most toddlers start to go 'dead legged' then you'd do your back in wanking/stopping them from smacking their heads and then before you know it they somehow swung around to the back of your legs.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: :laughing:

JCrakers
11-02-2016, 05:29 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: Can't believe that's not been starred out

Mouse
11-02-2016, 05:42 PM

:ROFL1::ROFL1::ROFL1::magnificent:

My husband just asked what I was laughing at!!

BallyH
11-02-2016, 06:42 PM
OMGOOOOODDDDD.

I thought why is there a laughing head!!!!

Then I saw it.

SOOOOO SOOORRRRRRYYYYYY.

But a nice way to end my week.

It's meant to say Yanking

FloraDora
11-02-2016, 06:44 PM
I have these: great straps, like our hiking bags and I think the quality is better than the animal ones you can get. I use them for mini rucksacks when out and about in the nature reserve and 18 month can wear the same - the rein bit unclips for the older children.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toddler-Safety-Backpack-Walking-Harness/dp/B005683DAA/ref=sr_1_9?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1455215912&sr=1-9&keywords=safety+harness

Unless I was desperate for clients I would not have 3 under two as I don't think I could give them the time individually to support their development.

BallyH
11-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Is yanking a word?

oh am all flustered now!!!

Maza
11-02-2016, 06:54 PM
Is yanking a word?

oh am all flustered now!!!

Yes, it's a word! Oh you've set me off again! I've not had a proper belly laugh in ages. Had to show DH and he couldn't stop laughing too. Thank you for making my day! Right, I'm off to grow up now.

Jelly Baby
12-02-2016, 01:22 PM
...would it be a total nightmare? What about with a couple of schoolies too? Anyone do this? How Dyou handle school runs?

Hi,

I have a 2yr old a 3yr old & a 9 month year old plus after schoolers and it works ok. Just need to be organised with the bits that go with them I guess!

hectors house
12-02-2016, 03:54 PM
I currently have a 6 month old, a 12 month old & 16 month old just one afternoon a week, the 12 month old is new and I'm seeing how it goes before I offer him a full day - this week I spend most of the afternoon changing nappies (7 in 5 hrs), giving bottles, putting up for a nap, getting up from a nap or checking on them while they napped.

When / if the 12 month old comes whole days we will go to a toddler group that has a car park right next to hall so we can at least go out but I haven't yet figured out a car seat figuration yet as both the 6 month old and 12 month old are still in rear facing seats which makes the middle seat difficult to access and I don't want to put the 16 month old in the front - I guess the 12 month old will just have to go forward facing but I usually try to keep them rear facing until 15 months. The 16 month old is a reasonably walker eg: from the car to the hall but I don't think she would cope on a buggy board for further trips.

White Rose
14-02-2016, 06:33 AM
I'm just starting out so don't have this issue to face, but is it unusual for childminders to use slings. A double buggy/single buggy and buggy board and a sling felt like the easiest way to do school runs with three little ones but are they rarely used?