PDA

View Full Version : Parents changing days & hours?

mumofone
10-02-2016, 02:55 PM
What do you all do when parents suddenly want to change days and hours which is going toward you out of pocket, even if only for a short while?

Jessymax
10-02-2016, 03:09 PM
What are they dropping from and to and how come I will pu u out only for a short while- do you have someone due to start ? xx

AliceK
10-02-2016, 05:04 PM
My contracts state they must give me 4 weeks notice to change and at that point I will decide whether or not I can accommodate their request.

xx

Maza
10-02-2016, 05:41 PM
I'm the same as Alicek. It can actually work to your advantage. I had one family who wanted to drop every other Monday. I let them do it soon realised that there was no way they would leave me until mindee started school. No nursery would let them do alternate days without charging the full whack and so they were stuck with me, lol. Although it was a drop in income it was also a guaranteed income for the next couple of years. I must have been good because fate sent another little mindee my way who only needed a few hours each week, so this made up for the original loss of income.

It is totally up to you though, you are not obliged to do them any favours.

mumofone
12-02-2016, 01:05 PM
My contracts state they must give me 4 weeks notice to change and at that point I will decide whether or not I can accommodate their request. xx

Yep mine do too and they are giving me enough notice I just don't want to do the new request because it would mean me working on a Friday which I don't want to do and then dropping a few hours during the week so I'm gonna be getting less money from them each month but it would still take up an under 5 space snd prevent me getting anyone else on those days because of the hours they need.
I just feel really bad saying no to them tho as on the face of it their request doesn't look too unreasonable it just doesn't suit me!

Jessymax
12-02-2016, 01:13 PM
just tell them it wont be possible due to personal circumstances and you are happy to continue to care for the child at the current contracted hours they don't need to know its because you don't want to work on a fri stick to your guns xx

Maza
12-02-2016, 01:14 PM
Yep mine do too and they are giving me enough notice I just don't want to do the new request because it would mean me working on a Friday which I don't want to do and then dropping a few hours during the week so I'm gonna be getting less money from them each month but it would still take up an under 5 space snd prevent me getting anyone else on those days because of the hours they need.
I just feel really bad saying no to them tho as on the face of it their request doesn't look too unreasonable it just doesn't suit me!

Honestly don't feel bad. Do you think they felt bad asking you? Or would they feel bad if they succeeded in getting you to give up your Fridays? It's been said on here before how it is amazing how sometimes families can accept what is offered to them instead of what they actually want, or how with a bit of extra thought and tweaking they can get it to work how you want it to work. On two occasions I have lost sleep thinking about how I can tell parents that I don't want to change my hours and when I have finally bucked up the courage to tell them they have been fine about it and they managed to do it my way after all. It could just be that they are thinking that it is worth just asking you because 'if you don't ask you don't get'.