PDA

View Full Version : Plastic v's wood

mumofone
10-02-2016, 10:44 AM
I know this has been talked about before but does anyone know of any proven research or other literature that supports that wood is better than plastic? Thank you :-)

moggy
10-02-2016, 12:58 PM
Lots of views available if you google it- I like this one which cover the main benefits I think:

7 Reasons Why You Should Have Wooden Toys - Natural Parenting Tips (http://www.naturalparentingtips.com/creative-play/7-reasons-wooden-toys/)

mumofone
10-02-2016, 01:42 PM
Lots of views available if you google it- I like this one which cover the main benefits I think: 7 Reasons Why You Should Have Wooden Toys - Natural Parenting Tips (http://www.naturalparentingtips.com/creative-play/7-reasons-wooden-toys/)

Thanks moggy, ive seen this one before, I was after something more official (not sure who would write such a thing).

greenfaerie
10-02-2016, 02:28 PM
That article has made me a bit twitchy, especially the last point. :S My daughter has learned a great deal from plastic interactive toys. She's been picking up phonics, letter recognition and rhyming since she was 2. I prefer a balance of natural, plastic and purely open ended resources. :)

I do like the look of wooden toys though, very smart. :)

moggy
10-02-2016, 02:33 PM
That article has made me a bit twitchy, especially the last point. :S My daughter has learned a great deal from plastic interactive toys. She's been picking up phonics, letter recognition and rhyming since she was 2. I prefer a balance of natural, plastic and purely open ended resources. :)

I do like the look of wooden toys though, very smart. :)

Yes, a balance, of course, is usually the way to go! And where would we be without Lego? I think that may be why there is little 'scientific' research- there is no scientific answer, there are benefits of both in certain situations. In some play situations wood is not ideal (wet/muddy/outdoors- wood does rot, plastic does not), but in some situations wood is great. And I still love Lego.