PDA

View Full Version : Button batteries

mumofone
09-02-2016, 11:13 AM
I keep reading that there's have been some accidents with button batteries but I'm wondering how this happening and what we should be doing to avoid these risks?

mama2three
09-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Just check that the children cant open the battery cover , lots are screwed in but not all. If in doubt I cover it with duck tape.

tulip0803
09-02-2016, 12:10 PM
People leave them lying around when they change the batteries - make sure they are out of reach and dispose of used ones properly as they still contain the acid that causes the damage internally

As Mama says most of these types of battery normally have screw covers - My risk assessment is that all toys should have screw covers on the battery cover otherwise I wont use them.

k1rstie
09-02-2016, 01:50 PM
There is a huge risk from children swallowing them, and also a huge risk with older people swallowing them. My stepfather has tiny batteries in his hearing aids, which need to be changed very regularly. They are the size of a small tablet. An accident could happen if he were to swallow one, thinking it were a tablet, without his glasses on. His ones as so tiny, you could possibly think that they are so small it wouldn't do any damage.

Button batteries range in size from a largish coin size to tiny tiny, as used in hearing aid batteries.

I have a button battery poster in my parents pack, similar to this one I have just googled. I have also spoken to my parents about their hearing aid ones!

BallyH
09-02-2016, 02:27 PM
There is a huge risk from children swallowing them, and also a huge risk with older people swallowing them. My stepfather has tiny batteries in his hearing aids, which need to be changed very regularly. They are the size of a small tablet. An accident could happen if he were to swallow one, thinking it were a tablet, without his glasses on. His ones as so tiny, you could possibly think that they are so small it wouldn't do any damage.

Button batteries range in size from a largish coin size to tiny tiny, as used in hearing aid batteries.

I have a button battery poster in my parents pack, similar to this one I have just googled. I have also spoken to my parents about their hearing aid ones!

Thank you for sharing.

mumofone
09-02-2016, 09:16 PM

Gosh of course, i wouldnt have ever even thought of them being a risk to the old but i see how they are, scary.

mumofone
09-02-2016, 09:17 PM
Just check that the children cant open the battery cover , lots are screwed in but not all. If in doubt I cover it with duck tape.

Its crazy to think that any ARENT screwed in?!