PDA

View Full Version : new enquiry -interested in your thoughts

crumpet54
07-02-2016, 11:16 AM
Morning, I've just had a call for a 10 month old Mon-fri 7- 9.30 am,

What's your thoughts.?

I'm thinking yes as I've had nothing but time wasters recently I've still only got the one mindee who starts at 9.30 twice a week, so if this lo starts then by the time he goes I'll still have a chance to have another from 9.30/10?
by the time he would have breakfast and a play etc it'll be time to pick up! Then I'm free for the day for other possibilities

What do you think? Yes no? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on this

blue bear
07-02-2016, 11:26 AM
If you have only got one child twice a week I'd be tempted to take this one on, quite often part timers end up needing more or family is so impressed they pass on your details.

chris goodyear
07-02-2016, 11:32 AM
Morning, I've just had a call for a 10 month old Mon-fri 7- 9.30 am,

What's your thoughts.?

I'm thinking yes as I've had nothing but time wasters recently I've still only got the one mindee who starts at 9.30 twice a week, so if this lo starts then by the time he goes I'll still have a chance to have another from 9.30/10?
by the time he would have breakfast and a play etc it'll be time to pick up! Then I'm free for the day for other possibilities

What do you think? Yes no? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on this

Yes I would do it, my way of working is - if I have the space and it's not a really inconvenient request e.g 6.00a.m. start!!! then I do it. I have had many over the years as Blue Bear says that only want one morning a week for example and then go on to need much more. The beauty of this enquiry is as you say you would not be holding a whole day space so are free to take on another child.

crumpet54
07-02-2016, 11:43 AM
Yes I agree, well I've given them more information and dad said he will speak to mum and let me know, then we can book a viewing and settling in sessions as wants to start next Monday.

Hopefully something will come from it as I've had so many people not get back to me. I want a change of luck!

Mouse
07-02-2016, 11:46 AM
My thoughts are:

7am is an early start, for me anyway! I do 7.30 starts 4 days a week and that's early enough, especially if you don't finish until late. Personally I wouldn't do a 7am start 5 days a week, but that's just my choice and I know many cms are happy to start that early.

It could work well if you have a 9.30 starter at least 2 days a week, but what happens if one was late leaving and the other early arriving? Would you be ok possibly having them both at the same time if you also got more work?

What would be the chances of you finding another family that need a 9.30/10am start? If you can hold out for the right hours it can definitely work though. I often take on the odd hours that no one else wants and it's surprising how many times you can slot children in to the odd hours you've got free.

On the plus side, 9.30 is a good time for an arrival or departure. It won't eat into your morning like a 10.30am start would, for example, which might prevent you from going out to groups etc. At 9.30 you've still got plenty of time to go out and you needn't feel restricted.

it may lead to more hours. A few years ago I had a baby start doing just 2 hours a day, twice a week. He liked it here so much, and his mum loved him being here, so they increased his hours to 2 full days.

I would guess the family may find it difficult to find someone who is willing to do those hours. If you decide to do it explain to them how you will try to find someone to fill the space from 9.30am onwards, but if that proves impossible you may have to reconsider their hours. I would never give notice to a short hours contract just because something better came along, but I think it's fair to explain to parents from the start that you might not be able to continue indefinitely if their hours prevented you from filling the rest of your day.

samb
07-02-2016, 01:14 PM
I think it depends on a few things...
How do you feel about starting at 7am 5 days a week? Would you therefore decide to finish earlier too? This may impact on who else you can take on.
How does your family feel about it? My oh wouldn't like it as he likes to get ready and leave before I start work so earliest I start is 7:15.
Personally I think finishing at 9:30 works quite well as doesnt interfere with school run and still reasonable time to go out too. I have children that start at 9:30. If they want a later start then they have to come later than school run anyway and so it would work for me.
I charge more before 8 therefore it makes it more worthwhile too.
If I was busy I don't think I would take it on personally but if quiet like you then why not? I've often adjusted what times and days I work depending on enquiries although it does make me rethink what else I will offer for further enquiries.

k1rstie
07-02-2016, 02:12 PM
You should think about how much you are going to charge? With those hours, I suspect one of the parents is on some sort of shift work.

Jessymax
07-02-2016, 07:12 PM
I personally wouldn't x

greenfaerie
08-02-2016, 02:54 PM
Hmm. I think I would only do it if I charged my half day rate. (And make it clear that the parents were free to use the rest of the morning) Since I don't charge hourly. Plus I'd charge the extra 30 mins for early opening. :S

crumpet54
08-02-2016, 08:41 PM
Thanks everyone it's great to hear both for/against - they've not returned my message any way ........

crumpet54
09-02-2016, 11:57 AM
Update!

Mum has got back to me - really wants child to start......
Then I've had conversations with another family want 2 siblings 18 months and 3 years 3 days a week 3-6! 1 of those days I have a mindee go home at 2.30 so that would work.

I'm having no luck lately with enquiries etc so I'm really tempted just to say yes to both families, I've added up their bill each month and I'm happy with that. What do u think ?

Kiddleywinks
09-02-2016, 12:25 PM
If the logistics and money works for you, go for it!
I always find it easier to get more children when I have some than I did when I didn't have any lol

loocyloo
09-02-2016, 01:15 PM
Update!

Mum has got back to me - really wants child to start......
Then I've had conversations with another family want 2 siblings 18 months and 3 years 3 days a week 3-6! 1 of those days I have a mindee go home at 2.30 so that would work.

I'm having no luck lately with enquiries etc so I'm really tempted just to say yes to both families, I've added up their bill each month and I'm happy with that. What do u think ?

i agree with Kiddlywinks ... if it works for you, then go for it! if it gives you a little freedom during the day, to get stuff done as well, then it sounds ok. I have quite a few children who only come school hours, so you might find other children fit into the gap you've got!

crumpet54
09-02-2016, 01:25 PM
i agree with Kiddlywinks ... if it works for you, then go for it! if it gives you a little freedom during the day, to get stuff done as well, then it sounds ok. I have quite a few children who only come school hours, so you might find other children fit into the gap you've got!

Yes that's what I was thinking it gives me the option to have the day free, or if I do want to full the spaces then the extra money will be a bonus etc

samb
09-02-2016, 03:07 PM
I would go for it too... But just make sure you quote with the thought of... If one leaves I still need to be happy with what I have been left with. So consider a slightly higher figure than the actual hours used? That's just me though.

crumpet54
09-02-2016, 04:04 PM
Hmmmmmm. ... mum just rang back it wouldn't be every day 7-9.30 as she just works shifts so sometimes it may be 2 days or 3 days a week. But they would be different each week, what would u do? She said she would know 2 weeks in advance,

Again thoughts
Anyone do this? Charge as and when required?

natlou82
09-02-2016, 07:25 PM
Ooh this may give you some hastle! I do this for over 8s and works fine but for a EYFS you may regret it down the line. I can work with odd hours or shift work - but both together. My advice is to think it through and make sure you're happy with all possible outcomes before you commit. Good luck x

moggy
09-02-2016, 08:43 PM
Hmmmmmm. ... mum just rang back it wouldn't be every day 7-9.30 as she just works shifts so sometimes it may be 2 days or 3 days a week. But they would be different each week, what would u do? She said she would know 2 weeks in advance,

Again thoughts
Anyone do this? Charge as and when required?

So if the 2 or 3 days could be randomly over the whole week it will block that morning place everyday- you could not take a 8.30 or 9am start in that EYFS place at all.
Unless you are looking for a quiet life I would not do it (but then I am always looking for maximum income from my precious 3x EYFS places!)

crumpet54
09-02-2016, 08:58 PM
So if the 2 or 3 days could be randomly over the whole week it will block that morning place everyday- you could not take a 8.30 or 9am start in that EYFS place at all.
Unless you are looking for a quiet life I would not do it (but then I am always looking for maximum income from my precious 3x EYFS places!)

Yes it's a complete change of thought now! Yes think I need to continue my quest to find an ey full day space! There must be someone out there for me,,,,,,,! 😢

Isn't it funny how the first phone call from dad - every day mon- fri 10
Call from mum oh no that's not what we want.......

hectors house
09-02-2016, 10:33 PM
Yes it's a complete change of thought now! Yes think I need to continue my quest to find an ey full day space! There must be someone out there for me,,,,,,,! 😢

Isn't it funny how the first phone call from dad - every day mon- fri 10
Call from mum oh no that's not what we want.......

Sometimes they have to take what you offer rather than what they want - I took on a new baby in January, 3 days a week - mum is teacher in a private school which means they get even more holiday than state schools but I told her that I charge all year round apart from when I'm on holiday and she accepted that. I would tell the parent that you are interested in taking on child but they have to pay for every morning if they can't stick to the same day each week.

moggy
10-02-2016, 08:12 AM
Sometimes they have to take what you offer rather than what they want - I took on a new baby in January, 3 days a week - mum is teacher in a private school which means they get even more holiday than state schools but I told her that I charge all year round apart from when I'm on holiday and she accepted that. I would tell the parent that you are interested in taking on child but they have to pay for every morning if they can't stick to the same day each week.

... but only if she is willing to 'block' that EYFS space to 9.30am every morning. If she charges for it she can't fill it with another child on some days. Not an ideal family for most of us but hopefully they'll find a CMer who is willing.

crumpet54
10-02-2016, 08:28 AM
Thanks for your thoughts, xx

crumpet54
11-02-2016, 11:50 AM
Well I've met mum and baby, both are lovely, I've agreed to have baby, luckily she's given me the dates she's working and needs me up until end of March, and says she will have april/may soon. She says it will only be short term as she goes on maternity leave end of may as new baby is due in June! !
So my business head is thinking take them on as she will likely extend hours once baby is here and then the potential to take on both children further down the line.

I don't think the hours will be a problem start at 7 booked in until 9.30 but she says she will probably pick up earlier than that as she finishes her night shift then will collect lo.

I've got no other interest or potential newbies so I'm going to go for it x

That's for the advice etc

natlou82
12-02-2016, 06:43 AM
Good for you. I quite like temp contracts and as you say it could very well lead to more work. Sometimes you have to delve a little deeper to find out if it's worth your while. Good luck I hope more work finds its way to you soon :-)

crumpet54
12-02-2016, 10:12 AM
Good for you. I quite like temp contracts and as you say it could very well lead to more work. Sometimes you have to delve a little deeper to find out if it's worth your while. Good luck I hope more work finds its way to you soon :-)

Thanks you, had a settling in session this morning, 7-9 ( figured it made sense to do the early start to get a true likeness of how it will be!) Went really well, baby is soooooo laid back contracts signed and baby starts on Monday, mum was to to pay up until end of March!

Jessymax
12-02-2016, 12:56 PM
great news! x

crumpet54
12-02-2016, 05:46 PM
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh parent just text said she doesn't think 9.30 will be realistic in getting back in time, so could baby finish at 10, do 7-10....... she said she will have a practice run tomorrow so will know what time she can get back from her night shift (which is irrelevant as it'll be Saturday traffic not rush hour weekday mornings but hey what do I know)

Contracts were signed this morning and know she wants to change.
The trouble is for another couple of quid for the extra half hour could result in me really struggling get to get a mindee to start at 10 10.30, all you lovelies were saying it may be hard for 9 9.30 starters it's gonna be even harder now isn't it!

What shall I say? ? How should I say it?.? Help!

kellib
12-02-2016, 06:17 PM
Have you agreed a settling in period? You could say to parent you're willing to try it out for 4 weeks (that's how long my settling in period is) and if either of you feel things need changed/aren't working out etc that's the time to change/end things.

You might find a mindee who wants to start at 10am, I had one coming at 10am for 4 years.

I personally wouldn't turn this away on the off chance someone else will come along.

Jessymax
13-02-2016, 08:13 AM
so have u just got the under one until 9.30 or someone else too? and what age child arriving at 10/10.30 I don't think it would matter if there was a 5 min over lap if u have 2 under 1 realistically

crumpet54
13-02-2016, 09:08 AM
Have you agreed a settling in period? You could say to parent you're willing to try it out for 4 weeks (that's how long my settling in period is) and if either of you feel things need changed/aren't working out etc that's the time to change/end things.

You might find a mindee who wants to start at 10am, I had one coming at 10am for 4 years.

I personally wouldn't turn this away on the off chance someone else will come along.

No I've not discussed a settling in period, I should have done, I didn't think ...

crumpet54
13-02-2016, 09:10 AM
so have u just got the under one until 9.30 or someone else too? and what age child arriving at 10/10.30 I don't think it would matter if there was a 5 min over lap if u have 2 under 1 realistically

I'll have the boy under one,
My own daughter 21 months
Mindee 14 months @9.30

crumpet54
13-02-2016, 09:13 AM
Well after going back and forth through messages with parent over the payment fees for the extra half hour ,
They've now decided that they will leave it as it is 9.30...
They only thought they could tell me how much they would pay!!!
They wanted to only pay an extra pound for the 30 min ??!

Oh well it suits me better if he finishes at 9.30

Maza
13-02-2016, 09:17 AM
Well now that she wants to review/change the hours on the contract it would be the ideal opportunity to introduce a settling in period. x

crumpet54
13-02-2016, 09:34 AM
Well now that she wants to review/change the hours on the contract it would be the ideal opportunity to introduce a settling in period. x

She doesn't want to change now , how do I introduce it? I use pacey contracts i don't remember seeing it on there? Or shall I just write up a policy on it? Sorry!
It's a only a short term thing until may when she goes on maternity leave for new baby. Then child will be leaving anyway.

loocyloo
13-02-2016, 10:55 AM
She doesn't want to change now , how do I introduce it? I use pacey contracts i don't remember seeing it on there? Or shall I just write up a policy on it? Sorry!
It's a only a short term thing until may when she goes on maternity leave for new baby. Then child will be leaving anyway.

It is on the pacey contracts ... on the 2nd page in the grey box section called retainer/settling in period/deposit.

what did you fill in, in this section? I would have put a line through the retainer bit as not relevant, and then put a calendar month for the settling in period, with the date of full contract starting the next day after that month is up. During the settling in weeks; either parent or childminder can cancel the contract and walk away with no fees owed, except for the hours worked. After that, my contracts say 4 weeks paid notice.

good luck x

crumpet54
13-02-2016, 11:02 AM
It is on the pacey contracts ... on the 2nd page in the grey box section called retainer/settling in period/deposit.

what did you fill in, in this section? I would have put a line through the retainer bit as not relevant, and then put a calendar month for the settling in period, with the date of full contract starting the next day after that month is up. During the settling in weeks; either parent or childminder can cancel the contract and walk away with no fees owed, except for the hours worked. After that, my contracts say 4 weeks paid notice.

good luck x

Oh God I'm such an idiot I remember reading about the retainer and thinking that didn't apply,then my dd who is toilet training wanted a wee then it all got a bit chaotic I must of missed it.
Please don't judge! .....

loocyloo
13-02-2016, 01:06 PM
Give mum a call and say you've realised you missed a bit off the contract and it's to her benefit as it means 4 weeks that she isn't held to the full contract.
X

crumpet54
15-02-2016, 11:10 AM
So mum messaged again saying she wants to change back again to the later collection 10 o'clock, so I agreed,
Child's first day today all going well then......
mum rings at 9.45 saying she's got on the wrong bus and has ended up on the other side of town!

I've had to cancel a potential visit booked at 10.30,
Then my dd who is currently potty training had a bad belly
Mindee mum finally came to collect at 10.50! !

Not the day I was expecting when I woke this morning!

JCrakers
15-02-2016, 11:51 AM
mmm...you need to watch that she's not late on a regular basis! I'd love to trust people a bit more than I do but with years of experience, some people bend the truth a little.

I had a granny picking up from me for 6weeks, she wasn't on time once. Her excuses were (25mins late) a funeral in town and traffic was bad, (20mins late) Someone had an argument in reception and all staff were held back for safety, (25ins late) traffic lights held her up....

From my house to town takes 3mins in a car, I can walk in 10 :rolleyes:

greenfaerie
15-02-2016, 11:56 AM
Oh dear. That isn't the greatest start. :S You could always start as you mean to go on and tell her that unfortunately if it happens again, a late fee will result. You never know with some people, without a financial incentive they don't think twice about messing people around. Hopefully that's not the case here.

crumpet54
15-02-2016, 12:18 PM
No not the best start. .!
I've said today that I'll let it go today but if it happens again then I will issue late collection fees.
They're next in on Fri really hope it doesn't happen then as we've got plans to go out for the day ( tickets booked and planned before child started but thought we can go as soon as child is collected, would it be rude to send a message explaining i have plans fri so she cannot be late picking up?

BallyH
15-02-2016, 02:58 PM
No not the best start. .!
I've said today that I'll let it go today but if it happens again then I will issue late collection fees.
They're next in on Fri really hope it doesn't happen then as we've got plans to go out for the day ( tickets booked and planned before child started but thought we can go as soon as child is collected, would it be rude to send a message explaining i have plans fri so she cannot be late picking up?

I would suggest you do text her. But something casual like 'forgot to say when you collected today that when you collect xxx on Friday at 10.00am (or whatever time the contracted collection time is) our chat will have to be brief as I'm going straight out as I've got tickets booked. Apologises in advance. Have a good week. Or something along this line and be ready with your coat on.

crumpet54
15-02-2016, 03:06 PM
I would suggest you do text her. But something casual like 'forgot to say when you collected today that when you collect xxx on Friday at 10.00am (or whatever time the contracted collection time is) our chat will have to be brief as I'm going straight out as I've got tickets booked. Apologises in advance. Have a good week. Or something along this line and be ready with your coat on.

Yes I think you are right, yes that sounds friendly and not bossy!
Thanks

Jessymax
15-02-2016, 03:52 PM
I feel so rude when I literally shoo them out the door but by 6.20 on a fri when I finish at 6 ! ive had enough don't know why parents cant understand that ! im sure your parent will be fine xx

crumpet54
15-02-2016, 05:26 PM
Well I've messaged her so we will see.

I wouldn't mind but we've booked to have a day out with my mum and my daughter which is a rare thing as I don't get to see my own mum very often so we are really looking forward to it. It's been booked ages x