PDA

View Full Version : SEF

Mrs M
07-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Hi, I've just spent ages doing this form! Not quite finished, need to fill in the parts where I can make improvements. I found some of it fairly easy but the improvements parts are difficult if you're trying to sell yourself and saying that you're meeting the needs of the children and the EYFS! It's so repetetive as well but I did as Sarah Neville advised and referred them to previous answers. I think you have to be in the mood for these sorts of things and not easy with small children running around but once it's done it's done.

sarah707
07-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Well done you!

I really need to sit down and finish mine. I keep finding other things to do :panic: :laughing:

maple
09-08-2008, 07:24 PM
When you fill it in do you need to do it all at once or can you save it. Not done mine yet but I am thinking of doing it soon just keep putting it off.

sarah707
09-08-2008, 09:09 PM
When you fill it in do you need to do it all at once or can you save it. Not done mine yet but I am thinking of doing it soon just keep putting it off.

You can save it and go back in to do more.

I strongly recommend doing it in word first and copying and pasting into the Ofsted site later...

That way you have a spell check and if Ofsted goes down, you've got a copy on your computer.

Good luck! :D

Spangles
09-08-2008, 11:32 PM
I've got no intention of doing mine for ages yet I'm afraid!

I think I'm going to be the only rebel childminder who hasn't looked at it or done it! I will do it in a few months when I'm in the mood and got nothing else to do!! :)

miss mopple
10-08-2008, 05:10 AM
I haven't tried to log on and do mine yet either (there always seems to be more interesting stuff to do :laughing: ). Is on my ever growing 'to do' list.

Need to dig out my Gateway number first and have no idea where it is :doh:

miffy
10-08-2008, 08:05 AM
I've got no intention of doing mine for ages yet I'm afraid!

I think I'm going to be the only rebel childminder who hasn't looked at it or done it! I will do it in a few months when I'm in the mood and got nothing else to do!! :)

Oh I don't think you'll be alone!!! ;) Just looking at the length of it puts me off and it is repetitive.

Miffy xx

Chimps Childminding
10-08-2008, 08:28 AM
I've looked at it, but it scared me so much that I put it away in the back of a very deep cupboard hoping it will stay there:eek:

Seriously, i am really worried, I'm not very good with words, ok I can waffle, but not good at using the right words - and as for selling myself I am sure if they went by how good I thought I was, I would get stuck off :laughing:

I suppose I will have to look at it again, but it looks so in depth. Bring back the old one with the tick boxes pleeeeeaaaaasssssseeeee!!!!! :panic:

sue m
10-08-2008, 09:32 AM
I started it and got the first two questions done but then couldn't think what to put so saved it. Now my husband is in hospital and they can take a walk as he's more important than that. He has Alzheimer's Disease and had four seizures in just a few hours and they aren't sure if he's had a stroke or not, they are maybe going to do a brain scan today. I'm not having the little ones till Wednesday so hopefully he will be back at the home by then cos I don't want to let the parents down but I'm not bothering about paperwork and getting in a state about SEF's right now. In fact I will email my CSDO and tell her.

Spangles
10-08-2008, 10:00 AM
I don't blame you at all Sue, don't even worry about the SEF because it's not even compulsory for it to be done it's just best if it is that's all.

I am so sorry to hear about your husband, I hope that the hospital figure out what the seizures are and help him so he can get home with you as soon as possible. I'm amazed that you are still able to work under the circumstances, I think you are incredible how you are handling it, it must be so upsetting and stressful.

Don't forget that we are all here for you if you need to talk.

xx

sue m
10-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Thanks very much Lorri, I try not to go on about it too much as people don't want to hear it and there's nothing you can say really. Steve's not at home with me, they took him away 2 years ago and put him in a home. He's only just 58 now. I'm 56 next week so great birthday I'm gona have lol. Not bothered though at my age!!!! The seizures are just part of the alzheimer's with some people, some have them, some don't. He had 3 last Christmas and was in hospital, I was with him for many hours. He saves them for special occasions!!!! I hope they will do a brain scan today as they said but they might not bother. They don't know if he's had a stroke or not. I'm going up there later on or if they send him back to the home, I'll go there. The hospital is 20 miles away, the home is two.

The job keeps me going, well the children do, certainly not the paperwork lol. My Granddaughter has just had her tonsils and adenoids out too in Great Ormond Street Hospital and she also had a muscle and skin biopsy cos she's 3.5 and very wobbly on her feet so they wonder if she has a muscle problem so it's al worry at the moment. Steve has got advanced alzheimer's, he's doubly incontinent and talks but it's all rubbish and he gets distressed and agitated and he gets very silly and giggly, just depends how he feels. He still knows me but he didn't yesterday so I will have to see if he knows me today cos the fits will have done more damage.

Sorry to have gone off on one there, if I do mention him again, I won't bother explaining it all again. :panic:

Thanks again. x x

Spangles
10-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Oh gosh, what an awful time you're having at the moment.

Do you know when they will get the results from your granddaughters tests? Bless her heart.

I don't blame you for not wanting to go through that information again. 58 is so young to have Alzheimers, I always imagine people who suffer to be much older. I hope that you get to see him today. It's such an awful disease, truly heartbreaking.

I've just noticed that you are in Cambs too, didn't notice that before.

sarah707
10-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Concentrate on yourself first because if you fall apart the rest comes tumbling down.

Sending love and prayers Sue... forget about the rest, it will wait. xx

sue m
10-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Yes, I'm in March, a few doors from Sandra. You're in Cambs too then I take it. We get Hollie's results in 6 to 8 weeks after the op which was 22nd July. She had sleep apnea and her tonsils were huge and she kept stopping breathing hundreds of times a night and then waking up with a shock and screaming and gasping. My daughter in law Tre has slept with her every single night cos she could have stopped breathing and not woken up again. They thought Hollie might have muscular dystrophy but it might not be that, she has walked better since she had her tonsils and adenoids out. Not great of course, not normally. It's just a matter of wait and see what the skin and muscle biopsy tell the doctors. She's got a long scar on her thigh where they cut her and took the muscle and the skin. Someone was up the top end doing the tonsils/adenoids and someone from Hammersmith Hospital was doing her leg.

Steve has been diagnosed with alzheimer's since 2005 and I had him at home till September 2006 but he was really hard to cope with, he used to boil the kettle and pour water all over the work tops or table and go wandering off and get lost, it was awful. They took him in to review his drugs for 4 weeks and he never came home, he went downhill fast as they do when they are young. He started showing signs of it when he was about 52. There's a guy in Steve's home who is 41 years old!!! You do tend to think it's only old peole but it isn't. There's another guy in the home who is in his 40's and he was a genetisist (?sp) and he was working on why people so young get alzheimer's and parkinsons etc and then he got it.

sue m
10-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Thanks you Sarah, sorry for prattling lol. x

Spangles
10-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Oh my goodness, it's strange how life goes sometimes re. the geneticist. In some ways I guess he had the extra torture of knowing so much information about the disease because of his job that he knew exactly what was going to happen if you see what I mean.

It just shows that you do have to live life in the present because you just don't know what's round the corner.

I hope that you get some good news about your granddaughter. I can't imagine the stress your daughter-in-law had every night at bedtime, how absolutely awful.

(I am in Waterbeach so not toooo far away.)

Wiggly
10-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Sending big hugs to you Sue M. You are in my thoughts and wishing your hubby well and hope he is home with you very soon.

As for SEF - I am still trying to get my head around EYFS first before even attempting to evaluate myself on it so it is gonna be some time before I attempt it. Thanks to Sarah Neville, Blaze and Angel I'm starting to get my head around it but still some way to go.

Too much going on here for me at the moment too with hubby away for so long, work, college (thank god it is the holidays and some time off homework), Ofsted inspection this week and son's op. Phew.

Wiggly
x

sue m
10-08-2008, 11:55 AM
I've seen the signs for there Lorri,Steve's parents lived in downham Market. I saw the signs when we used to go there. I think lol. I try and tell people now, life is just too short to be miserable or faling out with people or whatever, you just never know what's around the corner at whatever age you are. I hope we get good news about Hollie too, thank you. She's just had her first sleep on her own actually. She went and got in my bed and we left her and came down. She just shouted and Tre went up to get her so we're doing all the praise thing now lol.

Thank you Wiggly. I left my sons in London and Mum in in Yorkshire so I'm a bit alone - sob. lol We came here cos the houses were cheaper after London, I didn't have a clue of course that Steve would get so ill so young or I'd never have come. You have enough on yourself with hubby working away and an inspection and your son's op. Is it a straight forward one? Sorry, I've missed that. I will get back to the SEF when Steve is back at his home and I know what's wrong with him, this could make him much worse than he was or he might be back to how he was for the past few months.

xx

Wiggly
10-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Yes, my son's op was only minor - having grommets put in his ears but I'm a typical mother that gets in a right tizwas over things and was more of a wreck than my son was on the day. He had the op last Monday.

He is fine and you wouldn't know he has had an op but I had to deal with being at the hospital and watch him knocked out etc alone and I just burst into tears as Mums do.

You are not alone - you have all of us on here to cheer you up - I tell you, these lovely ladies have got me through some really difficult times. Circle of support which is so fabulous.

Take care and hugs to you
Wiggly
x

sue m
10-08-2008, 01:35 PM
My youngest had his adenoids out when he was 5 but not his tonsils and no grommets. He's 32 now!!! I know when Hollie came round in the recovery room Tre fainted! She was on a trolly too! LOL We have waited so long for them to do something for Holls. I would think almost every mum bursts into tears when he child has an op!

It's lovely having this forum, everyone is so nice and helpful about everything and it's a good laugh too and I'd not have met Sandra even though she's only a few doors up!

The hospital have said they will take Steve back to the home in an ambulance this evening, he's got tablets for epilepsy now. He's refused to take the tablets today but he often does that with the carers in the home. I usually have to go and give them to him as he will take them for me. At the moment. He's frightened cos he doesn't know where he is and doesn't know any of the people.

Thanks again.

sarah707
10-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Of course he's frightened! I would be too. :(

sue m
10-08-2008, 02:21 PM
That was why I wanted to stay yesterday for longer but got sent home by quite a dishy doctor lol. He said I needed to go home and get some rest. The home had rung me before 5am. I hate leaving him and do it sneakily when I see him at the home. He goes for a walk down the corridor and I rush off when he's not looking. Just like we tell Mums and Dads NOT to do!!! By the time he gets back 2 mins later, he's forgotten I was there. All illnesses are horrible but when their mind goes and they are frightened and can't understand or talk, it's so sad. He was always so active too, he was a kitchen fitter in London and played guitar and sang in the clubs. Now he looks about 70 and gets upset cos he knows now and again that something is wrong.