PDA

View Full Version : Nice childrens gardening tools

mumofone
03-02-2016, 10:07 PM
I want to buy a gardening set (spade, fork, rake) type thing with nice wooden handles preferably (not a cheap one that falls apart). Can anyone recommend me one they've seen or tried that think is good? Dont want to spend too much but willing to spend for the right thing :-) x

FloraDora
03-02-2016, 10:55 PM
I originally started with this set - bought from achica for £5 .

Small Foot Company 1710 Garden Tool Bag: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Small-Foot-Company-1710-Garden/dp/B00074U7VQ/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1454538908&sr=8-10&keywords=gardening+kit+kids)

But now I am working I could actually say you don't really need any.

I have a gardening digging area for children and this set goes out there on set up. The LO's like using the different tools to dig, but use whatever they find too. I have found investment in a good quality childrens wheelbarrow ( mine is Bosch) has been good- I use it lots at weekend too.
But when we actually do 'proper ' gardening I use old cutlery and fingers.
No gloves I buy really fit 2/3/4 year olds so we just get our fingers dirty and wash after.
I have a child's spade and rake and hoe, but sharing can be an issue so I rarely put them out.
My best advice is poundland/ lidl/ Aldi / wilkinson offers and seeds if you are starting out - though we harvest our seeds so I don't have this expense.
A budget for seeds and plants is the main expense I have, but we sort our own wherever we can by taking cuttings and saving seeds. Small troughs, planters can come expensive too, but I have a lifetime of pots and planters to recycle.
Gardening is actually my least resourced, cheapest area to fund but come April daily activities happen around it plus our winter gardening dip in and out of sessions support it - it is actually the lowest budget activities I do, but the most time spent and enjoyment levels and remember, whatever you grow you can eat so it saves on your food bill too.
Not a lot of real equipment is needed really - our mud kitchen has a row of old teapots and cups and mugs which act as planters - it depends how fussy you are really.

mumofone
04-02-2016, 08:30 PM
I originally started with this set - bought from achica for £5 .

Small Foot Company 1710 Garden Tool Bag: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Small-Foot-Company-1710-Garden/dp/B00074U7VQ/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1454538908&sr=8-10&keywords=gardening+kit+kids)

But now I am working I could actually say you don't really need any.

I have a gardening digging area for children and this set goes out there on set up. The LO's like using the different tools to dig, but use whatever they find too. I have found investment in a good quality childrens wheelbarrow ( mine is Bosch) has been good- I use it lots at weekend too.
But when we actually do 'proper ' gardening I use old cutlery and fingers.
No gloves I buy really fit 2/3/4 year olds so we just get our fingers dirty and wash after.
I have a child's spade and rake and hoe, but sharing can be an issue so I rarely put them out.
My best advice is poundland/ lidl/ Aldi / wilkinson offers and seeds if you are starting out - though we harvest our seeds so I don't have this expense.
A budget for seeds and plants is the main expense I have, but we sort our own wherever we can by taking cuttings and saving seeds. Small troughs, planters can come expensive too, but I have a lifetime of pots and planters to recycle.
Gardening is actually my least resourced, cheapest area to fund but come April daily activities happen around it plus our winter gardening dip in and out of sessions support it - it is actually the lowest budget activities I do, but the most time spent and enjoyment levels and remember, whatever you grow you can eat so it saves on your food bill too.
Not a lot of real equipment is needed really - our mud kitchen has a row of old teapots and cups and mugs which act as planters - it depends how fussy you are really.

Thanks flora, i thought you might respond, i know you love your gardening! :-)
Love that set you linked to, did you say it was £5 though, its showing as £15 on the link..? Even for £15 though i may get it, its the kind of thing i was after :-)

FloraDora
04-02-2016, 09:10 PM
Thanks flora, i thought you might respond, i know you love your gardening! :-)
Love that set you linked to, did you say it was £5 though, its showing as £15 on the link..? Even for £15 though i may get it, its the kind of thing i was after :-)

I bought it from achica, not Amazon - they did a gardening offer a couple of years ago.

mumofone
04-02-2016, 09:30 PM
I bought it from achica, not Amazon - they did a gardening offer a couple of years ago.

Understood :-)