PDA

View Full Version : no car for business use

Jessymax
02-02-2016, 06:57 PM
hi so me and my partner have a car each but are trying to cut back and I don't use my car for work I made that decision because firstly I just don't need too, secondly didn't want to buy 3 diff car seats thirdly insurance goes up fourthly the stress of imcase someone bumped into us. so my partners car is up for sale and he is going to use mine to get to work..In the case of an absolute emergency I would just ring for an ambulance so therefore there no reason why I need a car for work or am I missing something obvious? do any of you guys not use your car and if not do u have any problems with that? thanks x

loocyloo
02-02-2016, 07:14 PM
I'd rather not use my car, but I'm in a rural area with useless bus service and I like to get out and about with minded children.
Also, as my children have got older, I find they both need to be in different places at the same time and again, as it's rural, it's often in different directions!
I will admit I have quite alot of car seats ... But I have 5 point harness ones that can become backed or backless booster seats so not as many as I used to have! (Plus a baby seat ;-) )

bunyip
02-02-2016, 07:17 PM
I don't drive. Nearly all my client parents have commented they regard that as a wholly positive aspect of my service.

singingcactus
03-02-2016, 08:21 AM
I can't wait to move to a place where I won't need a car. Then I will enjoy taking all my car seats to the tip (wish there was a way to recycle them though).

JCrakers
03-02-2016, 08:25 AM
I don't have a car for work, never had one in 8yrs :D We walk everywhere. We do have a family car but it's dh's company car and although I can drive it, they wont insure me for business.

The only downside is we cant go further a field but its not a huge problem as there are parks around here. The upside is, all the children learn to walk long distances from a very young age which is fantastic for them and sets a good habit :D

samb
03-02-2016, 09:16 AM
I didn't use my car for the first year of childminding. It was fine. I missed out on trips with other childminders going to places you can't get to on public transport and was slightly restricted time wise if I did use public transport with families that had short hours. But on the whole I didn't need the car and it was not a problem.

I have used the car for the last 5 years though. Partly as my kids were getting older and clubs etc meant either I needed to get in the car with the others or they would miss out. And partly as I wanted to have more flexibility with short hour contracts and going out in the holidays. I don't use the car all the time but I must say I use it a lot more than I "need" to just because I can. School runs for example could often be done on foot but I have got in a bad habit of driving in the mornings.

In terms of business- I honestly think parents like their children walking more and are often happy about it as they don't often walk with them!

kellib
03-02-2016, 09:51 AM
I didn't pass my driving test until 2 years after I started childminding, not having a car never put anyone off (as far as I know!).

I do use my car now some days, at the minute we're in it more often than not because of the horrendous weather (don't see the point in everyone getting soaked when I have a car sitting there!)

But some days I have too many kids for the car so we need to walk, again doesn't cause any problems. The kids soon get used to walking, I do get moans from some of them but that's the ones who are used to taking cars everywhere with parents etc.

Jessymax
03-02-2016, 01:27 PM
great replies thanks guys I really don't intend to start and yes e do lots of walking and I don't get too much whinging! x

bunyip
03-02-2016, 07:42 PM
In terms of business- I honestly think parents like their children walking more and are often happy about it as they don't often walk with them!

I think this is just one of many areas in which parents are happy to 'sub-contract out' some of the things they really ought to be doing with their children. (Anyone else found they were potty-training a lo who was still in nappies when at home? :( )

The one thing to beware of is, if they have to walk at the CM's but are otherwise very much car-bound at home, they can be very slow and whingey about being made to walk, at least at the start. It's certainly a challenge, but you can make it into a pleasure and quite an achievement too.

FloraDora
03-02-2016, 07:56 PM
We have only ever funded one car, worked locally, both cycle. We worked out a long time ago that some taxi use for times when car not available is cheaper than running two cars.

If you live in an area with walkable interest, parks, shops, libraries, fields or parents are happy that you use public transport - an excitement for most, (like I do) then car not needed. But I don't offer school runs, that makes a difference.

Maza
03-02-2016, 08:03 PM
I don't drive. Never had a parent question it. I'm very lucky though that I live close to so many great things that I can just walk to - and have great public transport for when we want to go slightly further afield. I agree with Bunyip that it can be slow at first with some children who are totally used to cars. I had one toddler who would literally plonk her bottom on my path and refuse to even walk out of the garden, let alone walk to where we actually wanted to go. I remember almost being physically torn in two (not quite) by my own toddler who was on reins and was raring to go (like a scene from Worlds Strongest Man where they are attached to a lorry and trying to pull it along) and this little gorgeous sack of spuds, also on reins, who was refusing point blank to get up off the floor. Both were screeching with frustration!

Another mindee was driven everywhere and honestly thought that getting on a bus or going on the underground was the best thing in the world. It didn't matter where we were going, bless him! Both sets of parents were very grateful.

Mouse
03-02-2016, 08:06 PM
I've never used a car for childminding, but then I have all I need within walking distance.

Any school runs I've done have been within walking distance and it's the same with regular groups we attend. For things further away we can get the bus and for longer days out we go on the train.

It's never been an issue with any of the families I've looked after. A lot of them appreciate the fact that their children learn to walk good distances at an early age.

Bluebell
03-02-2016, 08:15 PM
I live in a rural area and loved having my car to go off on outings and so on. Having said that I'm thinking of coming back to childminding and thinking of being car free as I can't afford to change my car again and currently have a tiny one with only 2 seat belts in back!! I am within walking distance of school and would go with double pushchair and if needed a baby carrier/back carrier.

Having said that my son went to a childminder from 8 months and she walked everywhere - to school and back in the morning, to pre-school and back for lunchtime pickups and school and back for pick-ups, she also walked across town to go to the park or library and as he became one of the eldest he was the one who had to walk everywhere - I used to think this was great but in hindsight I think maybe it was a bit much... not sure

BallyH
03-02-2016, 08:30 PM
I do have a car for childminding which I use on 2 out of a 4 day week. However I never ever drive to school. I have lo's on reins from approximately 18 months old and I now have some excellent walkers. However last year I had a 5 year old start with me who really struggled with the 10 minute school walk bless her. My 2yr old lo's marched on and she just couldn't keep up as she'd been driven everywhere. I ended up holding her hand, supporting her whilst my 2 year olds walked in front of me hand in hand. Very sweet.