PDA

View Full Version : minding grandchildren

julie w
02-02-2016, 04:19 PM
I look after my grandson. He is entitled to two year funding but obviously not with me.I have him free as my daughter is at uni and cant claim for child care. We don't want him to go to anyone else. Does anyone know why the non funding for grandchildren exists? He is treated exactly the same as the others and obviously has to be included in my numbers. If I worked at a nursery he attended and minded him there he would receive the funding. I know you know all this but does anyone know the reason why? Its something I want to pursue and this is my starting point. Thank you.

Mouse
02-02-2016, 04:56 PM
It's to do with the definition of childminding in the Children's Act. It says there that childminding is looking after a child who is not related to you. SO if you look after a grandchild you are not childminding them.
Funding is only available a childminder who is childminding a child. As you're not technically childminding your grandchild, you cannot claim funding for them.

The difference with a nursery is that you would not be minding him at a nursery if you working there. He would be attending a nursery where you worked, but you would not be the one providing the childcare (the nursery would, not you as an individual)

It is very unfair. LAs are allowed to provide funding from different sources if they want to (I don't think any do), but they are not allowed to provide it from the funding money.

Jessymax
02-02-2016, 06:53 PM
how frustrating for you! I look after my nephew and although he is a baby in the future he will be able to get funding but obviously not with me which is so sad for my sister and him and me :( rubbish rules

hectors house
02-02-2016, 08:12 PM
I think this was going to be raised by Sarah Neville at the next Ofsted Big Conversation - I look after my grandson too, just one day a week but he can't use his funding with me either - obviously we would be caught out if we tried as you have to send a copy of Birth certificate and it will show his mum's maiden name is the same as mine!

Mouse
02-02-2016, 08:40 PM
I look after my grandson and wasn't too worried about his 15 hours funding as he'd go to the local nursery for those hours and stay with me for the rest. And it's not for a few years anyway.

It'll be very different when the 30 hours comes into force though. His parents (my son and gf) would want to use the 15 hours at nursery and the other 15 with me. They will not want their 3 year old son in nursery type childcare for 30 hours a week.

mumofone
02-02-2016, 08:53 PM
I look after my grandson and wasn't too worried about his 15 hours funding as he'd go to the local nursery for those hours and stay with me for the rest. And it's not for a few years anyway. It'll be very different when the 30 hours comes into force though. His parents (my son and gf) would want to use the 15 hours at nursery and the other 15 with me. They will not want their 3 year old son in nursery type childcare for 30 hours a week.

That's a good point about not wanting a 3 year old at nursery for 30 hours...I hadn't thought of it like that

natlou82
02-02-2016, 09:15 PM
I'm in the same situation, I have looked after my Nephew since he was 5 months old, he's now 2. Mum doesn't want to use 30 hours within school nursery she would prefer 15 hrs there and 15 hrs with me. But I won't be able to claim for him so we are stuck - unfair all round! Thank goodness our LA didn't get early implementation.

julie w
06-02-2016, 07:56 PM
I think this was going to be raised by Sarah Neville at the next Ofsted Big Conversation - I look after my grandson too, just one day a week but he can't use his funding with me either - obviously we would be caught out if we tried as you have to send a copy of Birth certificate and it will show his mum's maiden name is the same as mine!

Ive never had to send a birth certificate but just had to say ive seen it x

janet
09-02-2016, 10:31 PM
I look after my grandson on the 2 year grant it is fine if they live at the same address

janet
09-02-2016, 10:33 PM
sorry meant to say if they don't live at the. Same address

julie w
26-06-2016, 10:33 AM
sorry meant to say if they don't live at the. Same address

My grandson doesnt live with me but it does state we cannot look after relatives x