PDA

View Full Version : Valentines day crafts

mumofone
30-01-2016, 05:11 PM
Is anyone doing or previously done any nice Valentine crafts they're happy to share? :-)

Jessymax
30-01-2016, 08:56 PM
google image childrens valentines there is some adorable hand and foot print based things x

FloraDora
30-01-2016, 09:18 PM
Old fashioned as it may seem, I really think of Valentine's Day as the traditional 'romantic love' so I don't think children need to take part in anything Valentine linked. Leave something precious to being older.

mumofone
30-01-2016, 09:45 PM
Old fashioned as it may seem, I really think of Valentine's Day as the traditional 'romantic love' so I don't think children need to take part in anything Valentine linked. Leave something precious to being older.

That's an interesting view point :-)

loocyloo
31-01-2016, 08:51 AM

I may do red/pink sensory rice (as i have a huge tub of it) or painting/drawing in heart paper but that is as far as it goes, and actually, because valentines day is at the weekend, i won't even be doing that this year.

SYLVIA
31-01-2016, 08:57 AM
I dont generally do valentines crafts as I also feel its for adults. But with all the hearts on display in shops etc, we have looked at our own hearts before and how to look after them with exercise etc.and used it as a health and exercise activity

mumofone
31-01-2016, 09:16 AM
I dont generally do valentines crafts as I also feel its for adults. But with all the hearts on display in shops etc, we have looked at our own hearts before and how to look after them with exercise etc.and used it as a health and exercise activity

Oh this is a really good idea! :-) x

mumofone
31-01-2016, 09:16 AM
I may do red/pink sensory rice (as i have a huge tub of it) or painting/drawing in heart paper but that is as far as it goes, and actually, because valentines day is at the weekend, i won't even be doing that this year.

I like this idea :-)

BallyH
31-01-2016, 10:43 AM
I'm not planning anything as it's on a weekend, plus I don't work Friday's and if I did an activity the children would be bringing it home on the Thursday and that is too early.

Mouse
31-01-2016, 10:44 AM
I don't do anything specific.

What I have found though is if you wait until after Valentine's Day you can get some real bargains in the shops! A couple of years ago Sainsburys were selling boxes of fabric rose petals for a stupid price. After Valentine's Day they were reduced to 10p a box so I bought a few. They were used so much in other activities (nothing at all to do with Valentines Day) had the children loved them.

greenfaerie
31-01-2016, 02:43 PM
I ADORE Valentine's Day. (Then again I adore every celebration! Haha) I have a Valentine's box that I bring down out of the loft, the same as I do my Xmas decorations. :) Last year with my own daughter I did a sensory water tray with red water, confetti, glitter, pink silicon cupcake moulds small red bowls and spoons etc. I also did the kitchen roll heart shape printing, and did the chocolate scented playdough in a chocolate box invitation to play. I made heart shaped biscuits (in the style of Jammie Dodgers) and this was just for my own little one. :D

I always feel bad when I see people not enjoying the day (often because they're single) To me it's a fantastic day to show loved ones how much they mean. (Or even to treat yourself to something nice!) So I think it's lovely to get little ones involved. :)

Mouse
31-01-2016, 02:59 PM
I ADORE Valentine's Day. (Then again I adore every celebration! Haha) I have a Valentine's box that I bring down out of the loft, the same as I do my Xmas decorations. :) Last year with my own daughter I did a sensory water tray with red water, confetti, glitter, pink silicon cupcake moulds small red bowls and spoons etc. I also did the kitchen roll heart shape printing, and did the chocolate scented playdough in a chocolate box invitation to play. I made heart shaped biscuits (in the style of Jammie Dodgers) and this was just for my own little one. :D

I always feel bad when I see people not enjoying the day (often because they're single) To me it's a fantastic day to show loved ones how much they mean. (Or even to treat yourself to something nice!) So I think it's lovely to get little ones involved. :)

Those are lovely ideas :D

What I don't like to see is the line of identical heart-shaped handprint cards that are mainly made by the childcarer and which most children would get very little out of doing.

Kirstylob
01-02-2016, 03:10 PM
We're playing with red and pink coloured rice with added fake flower petals and silicone cake cases, spoons and tubs for pouring. We'll also have red playdough to play with, we will read books about who we are about and make simple cards. I hope to extend this by talking about feelings in general, what makes us happy sad etc.

greenfaerie
01-02-2016, 07:47 PM
That sounds lovely. :) I've only done rice play once so far. It ended up in EVERY room in my house (somehow!) I'm still not over the trauma. Haha. It sticks to socks. I do love it as a resource though. :)

mumofone
01-02-2016, 10:30 PM
We're playing with red and pink coloured rice with added fake flower petals and silicone cake cases, spoons and tubs for pouring. We'll also have red playdough to play with, we will read books about who we are about and make simple cards. I hope to extend this by talking about feelings in general, what makes us happy sad etc.

How did you colour your rice out of interest? I've just done it once before with food colouring and vinegar i think and it totally stunk and was very messy!!! Wondering if there's a better way?! :-) x

mama2three
02-02-2016, 07:41 AM
just food colouring , kids can help. Put the rice in ziploc bags and let them add a few drops of colouring. seal it up and let them squash and manipulate until its evenly mixed through - mine love this - its an activity in itself. The spread the rice on baking trays or anything flat and let it dry overnight.

loocyloo
02-02-2016, 07:42 AM
just food colouring , kids can help. Put the rice in ziploc bags and let them add a few drops of colouring. seal it up and let them squash and manipulate until its evenly mixed through - mine love this - its an activity in itself. The spread the rice on baking trays or anything flat and let it dry overnight.

I add a squirt of antibac gel ... can't really remember why ... someone told me to once I think! I think its so the colouring is spread around and dries quicker as the gel evaporates when you put it out to dry!

mumofone
07-02-2016, 05:55 PM

I've been thinking what a nice idea this is, could I ask what you did for it or what resources you used etc? X

FloraDora
07-02-2016, 07:41 PM
I've been thinking what a nice idea this is, could I ask what you did for it or what resources you used etc? X

Not sure what Sylvia does but when I look at the heart we do lots of energetic activities and feel our heart pounding after.
I have an Aldi puzzle that they love and the second layer shows the heart and blood vessels so this is out to play with. I encourage art/ drawings of people with hearts in their chests ( hobby craft heart stickers)
We have a real stethoscope and hear each other's heart beats. The PsHe link is usually linking pumping heart with happiness and what makes us happy. But not Valentine day linked, any time activity here.

Mouse
07-02-2016, 08:05 PM
There is some useful info on the BHF website

https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/children-and-young-people/babies-and-nursery

You can order free resources although you can give a donation, which is the fair thing to do :thumbsup:

mumofone
07-02-2016, 09:16 PM
There is some useful info on the BHF website https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/children-and-young-people/babies-and-nursery You can order free resources although you can give a donation, which is the fair thing to do :thumbsup:

Thank you so much! I'll take a good look when I get a moment :-) x

mumofone
07-02-2016, 09:18 PM
Not sure what Sylvia does but when I look at the heart we do lots of energetic activities and feel our heart pounding after. I have an Aldi puzzle that they love and the second layer shows the heart and blood vessels so this is out to play with. I encourage art/ drawings of people with hearts in their chests ( hobby craft heart stickers) We have a real stethoscope and hear each other's heart beats. The PsHe link is usually linking pumping heart with happiness and what makes us happy. But not Valentine day linked, any time activity here.

Thank you, I love the sound of the aldi puzzle! Let me know if you know where I can get similar :-)

Oh and thank you so much for the gardening tool recommendation, they came today and are perfect! Just what I was after! :-) :-) :-) x

FloraDora
07-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Thank you, I love the sound of the aldi puzzle! Let me know if you know where I can get similar :-)

Oh and thank you so much for the gardening tool recommendation, they came today and are perfect! Just what I was after! :-) :-) :-) x

I found this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beleduc-17129-Puzzle-Layers-Picture/dp/B000ELWHUQ

It is similar to the Aldi puzzle I have - but I only paid £ 3.99 - 6 months ago!!!

You do have to check every week what Aldi have on specials offer.

Wheel barrow is next - we use it lots- I put the bird seed in it, before filling the container, we weed together and use to transfer to compost, the 19month just wheels it around and pops in whatever he finds.
Spent a wet Sunday afternoon planning my 2016 garden today and ordering seeds and plants and got confirmation that I can take part in this again this year -

Help monitor bees with University of Sussex scientists : News and events : University of Sussex (http://www.sussex.ac.uk/newsandevents/?id=33946)
Really recommend it.
Free seeds and a focus to monitor bees - I loved doing it last year and LO's became so bee aware.

I find gardening or playing in the garden such Good fun and easy learning. I don't feel I am working when we can spend time in the garden. The children learn through every activity.
This years plan is winches and pulleys - DH started yesterday ....so we will be transferring plants from our greenhouse to the vegetable bed via a pulley this year....I hope!

mumofone
08-03-2016, 09:50 PM
I found this: Beleduc 17129 Puzzle with 5 Layers Picture of Boy with "Your Body" Theme: Beleduc: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beleduc-17129-Puzzle-Layers-Picture/dp/B000ELWHUQ)

It is similar to the Aldi puzzle I have - but I only paid £ 3.99 - 6 months ago!!!

You do have to check every week what Aldi have on specials offer.

Wheel barrow is next - we use it lots- I put the bird seed in it, before filling the container, we weed together and use to transfer to compost, the 19month just wheels it around and pops in whatever he finds.
Spent a wet Sunday afternoon planning my 2016 garden today and ordering seeds and plants and got confirmation that I can take part in this again this year -

Help monitor bees with University of Sussex scientists : News and events : University of Sussex (http://www.sussex.ac.uk/newsandevents/?id=33946)
Really recommend it.
Free seeds and a focus to monitor bees - I loved doing it last year and LO's became so bee aware.

I find gardening or playing in the garden such Good fun and easy learning. I don't feel I am working when we can spend time in the garden. The children learn through every activity.
This years plan is winches and pulleys - DH started yesterday ....so we will be transferring plants from our greenhouse to the vegetable bed via a pulley this year....I hope!

Aw love the puzzle, bit expensive for me unfortunately.
when talking and discussing the body - body parts etc what areas of learning are we generally covering?

mumofone
08-03-2016, 09:51 PM

What area of learning dyou think this covers? PD (self care?)