PDA

View Full Version : Story in Femail magazine in Daily Mail today

catswhiskers
28-01-2016, 10:15 PM
Just reading 3 page spread article 'You can never fancy a man who becomes a house husband' in the Daily Mail.

Tells the story of husband and wife who reversed roles (he stays at home to look after their 4 sons).

One paragraph starts:

"Although I never set out to be a stay-at-home mother, the moment our first son, J, was born in 2003, I took one look into his deep blue eyes and swore that I would be the one to take care of him. I would not leave this precious scrap of humanity at the mercy of some childminder while I went to work".

Is it just me, or did that last sentence strike a nerve with anybody else?

mumofone
28-01-2016, 10:59 PM
Just reading 3 page spread article 'You can never fancy a man who becomes a house husband' in the Daily Mail. Tells the story of husband and wife who reversed roles (he stays at home to look after their 4 sons). One paragraph starts: "Although I never set out to be a stay-at-home mother, the moment our first son, J, was born in 2003, I took one look into his deep blue eyes and swore that I would be the one to take care of him. I would not leave this precious scrap of humanity at the mercy of some childminder while I went to work". Is it just me, or did that last sentence strike a nerve with anybody else?

I'm interested in the perceptions of us as childminders...

Mouse
29-01-2016, 08:22 AM
It does seem an odd thing to say, doesn't it?

I can understand a mum not wanting to leave their child in someone else's care, but to say you're leaving them at the mercy of some childminder is strange.

Not only has she offended childminders, but also those parents who do leave their precious scrap with one. She's suggesting they don't care as much as she does because they're willing to leave their baby at someone's 'mercy'.

greenfaerie
29-01-2016, 02:16 PM
The tone is dismissive and offensive yes. Though it's in The Daily Fail, in the Femail section and it's using derogatory remarks towards men who move out of traditional gender roles. So I'd say it's already lost all credibility for me before it insults my career choice. :S

bunyip
29-01-2016, 04:04 PM
Just reading 3 page spread article 'You can never fancy a man who becomes a house husband' in the Daily Mail.

Tells the story of husband and wife who reversed roles (he stays at home to look after their 4 sons).

One paragraph starts:

"Although I never set out to be a stay-at-home mother, the moment our first son, J, was born in 2003, I took one look into his deep blue eyes and swore that I would be the one to take care of him. I would not leave this precious scrap of humanity at the mercy of some childminder while I went to work".

Is it just me, or did that last sentence strike a nerve with anybody else?

Speaking as a childminder who doubles as a house-husband, nerves were being struck from the first sentence. :(

My you, I also (genuinely do) own a badge which reads: "I'm everything The Daily Mail hates". :D

catswhiskers
30-01-2016, 08:37 PM
Thanks for all your answers.