PDA

View Full Version : Risk Assessing...Curtains?!

mumofone
25-01-2016, 07:30 PM
I've just completed a RA for a bedroom that has both a blind with cord (obvious risk identified!) and also a pair of curtains on the window. When I Risk assessed my lounge i mentioned the floor length curtain and how i would pin it up out the way to avoid mindees tripping etc but in a bedroom do curtains pose and risk at all? They seem fine to me but maybe im missing the danger?! Thank you! :-)

BallyH
25-01-2016, 07:43 PM
If they seem fine to you then put them down as low risk. In the bedroom will young babies/toddlers be sleeping there in a cot? Will you be lifting them in and out of the cot? If yes, I would put this reason as to why it's low risk. I've not mentioned curtains in any of my risk accessments. Blinds yes.

These risk assessments are individual to you. An example of mine is I don't use a stair gate. In my risk assessment I've put it down as low risk as children are constatnly monitored and told not to go upstairs etc. You've assessed the level of risk involved in your home environment. Your explanation is individual to you.

mumofone
25-01-2016, 08:02 PM
If they seem fine to you then put them down as low risk. In the bedroom will young babies/toddlers be sleeping there in a cot? Will you be lifting them in and out of the cot? If yes, I would put this reason as to why it's low risk. I've not mentioned curtains in any of my risk accessments. Blinds yes. These risk assessments are individual to you. An example of mine is I don't use a stair gate. In my risk assessment I've put it down as low risk as children are constatnly monitored and told not to go upstairs etc. You've assessed the level of risk involved in your home environment. Your explanation is individual to you.

Thanks MOH, but by putting it down as low risk im indicAting that there is A risk but I don't know what that risk is, if you see what I mean?!

BallyH
25-01-2016, 08:12 PM
Thanks MOH, but by putting it down as low risk im indicAting that there is A risk but I don't know what that risk is, if you see what I mean?!

Yes I now understand. So have you raised the question because you have mentioned the lounge curtain as a tripping hazard? As I've already said I haven't mentioned curtains at all in any rooms in my risk assessments as I feel there is no risk level.

Simona
25-01-2016, 08:36 PM
If you are concerned about curtains Mumofone...use tie backs which prevent children from hiding in them or fiddling with them....can you also put chairs or sofa against them...or any furniture?

Roman blinds I would be very careful about RA them...just make sure you tie the string properly and have the cleat high....I make those all the time for kids and customers and always warn parents as loose cords have caused 2 children to die as they tied them around their neck.

MOH...that is music to my ears...I never used a stair gate either!!

JCrakers
26-01-2016, 12:01 PM
I minimise risks suchas blind cords, spillages etc etc but i go through with the children each risk so we always clear up toys and the children know why...to avoid falling over them

Obviously, things such as kettle cords, hot cups of tea, oven all need risk assessing and ihave a gate from kichen to playroom.

But i dont have a stair gate at the bottom of the stairs, children know not to go upstairs, babies are monitored
I teach the children from a young age that we dont do certain things and why

So for instance the curtains would be flagged up as a trip hazard but children would be taught not to run etc. Minimising a trip. I feel all children need risk to a point.

I would say its a low risk of tripping, children taught not to run or climb. I feel we cant tie back or get ridnof all risks :-)

rickysmiths
26-01-2016, 12:15 PM
All new Blinds have to have cords that are screwed to the wall and they have to be easy snap so id anything gets caught in them they snap apart.

I have one like this and the cleat is screwed to the wall with the cord running through it and it is taught at all times, it would break if a child tried to get their head in it!. The older ones as Simona says, I have cleats up high out of reach and the cords are tied around them in a figure of eight fashion so the cords don't pop off the cleats, it shows all of this on the ROSPA web site.

Curtains I have never considered a risk. window sill length ones are well out of reach and floor length ones they learn not to play with and mine are touching the floor so not a trip hazzard.

Simona
26-01-2016, 01:25 PM
These are the guidelines for Roman Blinds cords

Blind Cord Safety - RoSPA (http://www.rospa.com/campaigns-fundraising/current/blind-cord/)

mumofone
26-01-2016, 01:30 PM
Thanks everyone, Ive risk assesssed and made safe all my blinds it was this particular pair of curtains I was wondering about but they're not floor length