PDA

View Full Version : supporting a family with a child who has cancer

MrsPAndre
24-01-2016, 04:29 PM
hi everyone, Im feeling very upset as one of my children has just been diagnosed with cancer aged 7. I look after the siblings too. Does anyone know of anywhere I can get some books, leaflets etc to help support the family at all? thank you x

MrsPAndre
24-01-2016, 04:32 PM
sorry meant to put that it is a child minding child that has been diagnosed. thanks x

sarah707
24-01-2016, 06:05 PM
The cancer nurses might be able to suggest some resources and good books.

I hope the outcome is positive xx

Kiddleywinks
24-01-2016, 07:09 PM
Macmillan or cancer research website have some useful information

Sorry to hear about your mindee :group hug:

Jessymax
25-01-2016, 09:47 AM
im so sorry to read this, really puts our 'problems' into perspective I don't really have any advise as haven't been in this situation all I would say is keep caring for their children as well as you obviously do, they must think you are fabulous x

Mouse
25-01-2016, 10:06 AM
What upsetting news for you all.

I'm sure the family will be pointed in the direction of support, so maybe ask who they're speaking to and see if you can get some information as their childcarer.

Your local library should be able to get books for you as well, so it might be worth asking there.

Don't forget to look after yourself and speak to someone if you need to. Your setting might well be that bit of normality and stability that the family need, so keeping yourself strong both mentally & physically is important.

:group hug:

BallyH
25-01-2016, 10:07 AM
How sad. The child's needs will be met. It's the parents and siblings that may feel it more. It may be a long journey for you all. Best of luck. Keep us posted.

MrsPAndre
25-01-2016, 08:43 PM
thank you everybody for your comments, I myself had cancer 5 years ago and know how tough it can be on the family too so will be here to listen, support and do as much as I can. I have requested some leaflets from Macmillan website and am going to the library tomorrow to see if they have anything too. mindee starts chemo Wednesday and awaiting scan results so Im keeping everything crossed for that. thanks again everybody x

Mouse
25-01-2016, 08:46 PM
thank you everybody for your comments, I myself had cancer 5 years ago and know how tough it can be on the family too so will be here to listen, support and do as much as I can. I have requested some leaflets from Macmillan website and am going to the library tomorrow to see if they have anything too. mindee starts chemo Wednesday and awaiting scan results so Im keeping everything crossed for that. thanks again everybody x

I'll keep everything crossed xx

Simona
26-01-2016, 02:15 PM
Do not forget to ask the EY team regarding SEND....they will have plenty of support for you, the child and the parents and it is their duty to do so.....as SEND covers any illness or condition that may prevent children's progress.