PDA

View Full Version : Edible Playdoh

Willowdancer
07-08-2008, 02:24 PM
I found this in an activity book I've got. Unfortunately I can't try it here though as our eldest has a peanut allergy, but I think it would be great fun for those that have smalls that keep attempting to eat normal playdoh and don't have the allergy worry hanging over their heads!!

What you need:

Peanut butter (doesn't specify which sort but presumably smooth!)
Milk powder
Sugar
Food colouring

What to do:

Mix one part peanut butter to one part milk powder and 1/2 part sugar, and add a few drops of food colouring if you want to use it.

Double/triple etc quantities to make as much as you need.

Pedagog
07-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks for that I could not make it either just the smell of peanut butter makes me ill. But great idea.

kats
07-08-2008, 02:27 PM
What a good idea, i have a nine month mindee who loves the playdough but is always eating it, i'll try that :)

sarah707
07-08-2008, 02:30 PM
What a good idea!

Lots of peanut allergies around nowadays though... :(

Willowdancer
07-08-2008, 02:44 PM
I know - probably need to do a risk assessment if you want to carry it out!

Wonder if there's something that you could substitute for the peanut butter? I'm sure other nut butters would probably work (although still not in this house as we've been advised to avoid all nuts until they re-test him when he's 7.) Chocolate spread maybe?

Its from "365 TV-free Activities For Kids" by Di Hodges - loads of great ideas in it but I expect everybody already has it so I'm probably teaching granny to suck eggs!! :laughing:

Pedagog
07-08-2008, 02:48 PM
How about these two recipies for those with nut allergies.

Chocolate Playdough

You'll need:

10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate coarsely chopped
1/3 cup light corn syrup
Melt the chocolate in a microwave for 1 minute (stirring occasionally) or until it becomes smooth and creamy. If you don't have a microwave, place the chocolate in a bowl over another bowl that contains hot, but not boiling, water.

Once the chocolate has melted, add the corn syrup and blend.

Pour the mixture onto a waxed paper sheet and spread the chocolate with your fingers until it's about 1/2 inch thick. Cover loosely with waxed paper and let it stiffen for at least a couple hours or overnight.

The chocolate will become very pliable.

Candy Playdough

You'll need:

1/3 cup margarine
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1 pound box of powdered sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
Food coloring
1/4 tsp salt
Mix all other ingredients then add powdered sugar. Knead until smooth, then sculpt and eat.

Willowdancer
07-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Oooh thanks for those! Never mind the kids - I'm drooling here! :D

Pedagog
07-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Thats okay.:)

Pudding Girl
07-08-2008, 03:52 PM
chocolate playdoh?!

oh I think I died and went to heaven!!

Willowdancer
07-08-2008, 04:02 PM
See you there! :laughing:

Nicki L
07-08-2008, 07:40 PM
How about these two recipies for those with nut allergies.

Chocolate Playdough

You'll need:

10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate coarsely chopped
1/3 cup light corn syrup
Melt the chocolate in a microwave for 1 minute (stirring occasionally) or until it becomes smooth and creamy. If you don't have a microwave, place the chocolate in a bowl over another bowl that contains hot, but not boiling, water.

Once the chocolate has melted, add the corn syrup and blend.

Pour the mixture onto a waxed paper sheet and spread the chocolate with your fingers until it's about 1/2 inch thick. Cover loosely with waxed paper and let it stiffen for at least a couple hours or overnight.

The chocolate will become very pliable.

Candy Playdough

You'll need:

1/3 cup margarine
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1 pound box of powdered sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
Food coloring
1/4 tsp salt
Mix all other ingredients then add powdered sugar. Knead until smooth, then sculpt and eat.

Charlotte they sound fantastic - my mindee is only 16 months and my daughter is 2 so they will love these - mind you i will have to taste them first lol x

angeldelight
07-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks for those ideas

Angel xx

miffy
07-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Thank you - they sound lovely

Miffy xx

Donkey
07-08-2008, 09:03 PM
think I need to go shopping!!!

dd is 10 months and loves to squidge things in her hands

Pedagog
08-08-2008, 07:14 AM
Glad to help. Enjoy and don't eat to much.:)

Willowdancer
27-08-2008, 04:25 PM
I had another thought on the edible playdough front:

Make up a batch of pasta dough around lunchtime-ish, let the kids cut their own shapes out of it and then you could boil it up and have it lunch :)

Tatia
04-09-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm sensing a letter to parents reminding them to dress their children for MESSY play!:laughing: All of those sound fantastic and since we have no nut allergies, we could try them all.

I'm thinking I'll do the chocolate one for my drop-in group, to play it safe though.

polobear1970
04-09-2008, 08:12 PM
great ideas, will have test myself first tho :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: