PDA

View Full Version : how complex are your RA

Jessymax
22-01-2016, 08:21 AM
Please tell me if im wrong but my risk assessment is 3 pages long split into a table and then split into different rooms. Is this too simple and should I just be adding to it there for example what I do when I need to go to the toilet or nip upstairs? i.e ' I will assess which children are in my care and take the LO with me, leave door open and keep talking to them to check they are ok'

Most things are very simple i.e STAIRS.... RISK ... falling down stairs/getting upstairs and xyz.. PREVENTION baby gate is this suffice? or not enough detail

moggy
22-01-2016, 08:27 AM
Written RA is not required at all.
So, to write anything down is already going beyond what is required.
So how much detail, or not, you write is totally a personal decision- it depends how useful it is to you, you are the only person you are doing it for!
I wrote a basic RA of each room and main outings but now RA in my head as we go along.

Jessymax
22-01-2016, 08:30 AM
so when ofsted come do you just answer any RA questions they have? id rather but I no I would ramble on or hesitate so rather just give them it on paper to read .. x

Simona
22-01-2016, 11:11 AM
Again we are on dodgy ground here...due to the fact the EYFS is so out of date ...BUT...at the moment it is still the framework we have to follow....every cm will have a different answer but the EYFS has only one!

RA requirements have changed alongside many other bits and pieces but the EYFS is still that written in 2014...where only 1 change was made to add Cm agencies.
Look at EYFS page 28...providers may need in some cases to do a 'written RA' ...again it leaves it up to us to decide

As an example the RA for variations on cms ratio would be better in writing....how would an inspector judge our decisions on that and look at parents' permission.

In the cms initial training the EYFS should have been covered
How long that will be is really up to each of us...the size of our settings and the things we personally wish to list on the RA
Once done the RA does not need to be redone each year...just updates as we add more areas to cover....mine started as a 2 page doc then it was 7 at one point and is now around 5 pages...we are all different!

If unsure and you feel this has to be raised the DfE is the one to put the stress on so they update the EYFS to follow all the changes still not in there.

Also look at CIF...what does the inspector look for?

BallyH
22-01-2016, 11:45 AM
I have just had my inspection this week and I will 'tell all' when I've read and signed my report. As already said here everybody is different. I have risk assessments. I have several typed word documents for house, car, garden, outings and they ramble on about what I do to lessen any risks in those situations. These are several years old and I add as and when. I also have a template that I have written on. These are very basic and contain a lists of things that I have 'viewed' to be a risk and needed to say 'they aren't'. For example I have one for the front hall. I have written on it stairs, no risk as no climbing babies/toddlers. Front door, always locked. Key accessible to adults only on shelf. Wooden floor, low risk as children told to walk not run. No rug so not tripping hazard etc. At the bottom there are several columns headed 'What further action is needed to control the risk?' I've written in - be vigilant. 'Who will be responsible for what action and when/how often will it be taken' I've written my name and yearly or when a new child starts'. Then I have several dates along the bottom all approximately a year apart. It was a lot of effort to write at the start. I am glad I had the risk assessments. On inspection day I wouldn't have had the time to explain everything to the inspector or honestly remembered what to say as to why some things are the way they are in my home. My inspection was very much watching me interact with the children. Teaching the children. But this is my opinion and it's what I do. Other cm's will do things differently. That is why we also are all unique. All I would say preparation before the visit is very important.

rickysmiths
22-01-2016, 02:57 PM
When written RAs were required I had a 40 page document of them all. They were all signed, dated, had a review date and had my full address on them as RAs have to have. They were then reviewed annually and initialled and dated when this was done. Or they were reviewed at any time they needed to be changed/updated and then signed and dated. At my inspection in 2011 my inspector looked at them in detail and I was complimented on them, I should think so they took a great deal of time to put together!!

In Sept 2014 the EYFS was reviewed and the need for written RAs was removed with the express reason to reduce a cm paperwork. We still have to carry out RAs but in a practical world it was recognised that we had always done RAs every day, as part of our practice, we work with children and it would be very odd for us not to be continually making sure the place the children play in and the things they play are safe.

A good Ofsted Inspector should be able to walk into our setting and see that this daily and continuing RA is taking place or not. Clearly if it is not and the children are at any risk this will be reflected in the outcome of our Inspection. The same way Inspectors look at Food Preparation and Hygiene and will report us to Environmental Health if they feel there are issues (and again this would show in the inspection outcome).

I was inspected under the new Common Inspection Framework in September last year. I did not have my RA folder out (yes I still have it it represents a lot of work!) it is not required under EYFS. The inspector never mentioned RAs at all. Presumably she could clearly see my house is clean, child safe, she was here through lunch so saw a meal prepared and served, she could see good hygiene routines followed by the minded children using the toilet, washing their hands and washing hands before lunch, each has their own towel and by me.

The only RA written down are the simple ones I do if I have to do a Variation for Continuity of Care. I choose in this instance to do a written RA so I can show it to Ofsted if ever challenged. She didn't even open the folder but to be fair I did not have any C of C Variations in place at the time.

If an inspector did ask during an inspection all they will be doing is asking a simple what if question which I am sure most people would be able to answer.

However if in doubt then do make notes if that helps you but don't make a ton of extra paperwork for yourself.

Simona
24-01-2016, 09:38 AM
You are correct on many points RS...however...the EYFS has to be updated and leave no one in doubt what is required in a framework that is 'statutory'.
The many questions often asked point to many cms not being very sure what this doc actually requires....it is pitifully out of date.

Your inspector did not ask about a RA...many other cms will possibly be questioned on this...so we are back to each inspection being different and unique to that inspector?
that cannot be true and I am glad many are asking for an update of the EYFS....the sooner the better although DfE will do so when it suits them.

Even though it may not be required.... RA is one of the questions many parents usually ask when they first meet with a cm...for that only it is probably worth doing a written assessment and keep parents satisfied.:thumbsup:

Mouse
24-01-2016, 10:26 AM
I have a risk assessment policy.

It says something along the lines of, in the house I am continually visually assessing risk and that I do this based on the children present and my knowledge of them. For outings I consider the children present, my knowledge of the route will will take and the places we will visit. I remain vigilant at all times and ensure I have suitable equipment with me (pushchair, reins, first aid kit, mobile phone, emergency contact book and any medication needed by the child).
It also says that I will produce written risk assessments if I feel it is necessary.

The only written ones I have are regarding exceptions to ratios, when I had some building work done and when a parent raised a concern. If a child ever hurt themselves I a way I haven't even thought about I would do a separate risk assessment for that.

Mouse
24-01-2016, 10:28 AM
. RA is one of the questions many parents usually ask when they first meet with a cm...for that only it is probably worth doing a written assessment and keep parents satisfied.:thumbsup:

I have to be honest, I have never had a single parent ask me about risk assessment!

Simona
24-01-2016, 10:42 AM
I have to be honest, I have never had a single parent ask me about risk assessment!

The questions I have had from parents are:
how do you keep my child safe on outings? do you use reins? how safe are they when they cross the road?

How do you keep an eye on sleeping children? where do they sleep?
what do you do when changing nappies to keep my baby safe when you deal with other children?
what would you do if you lost a child?
do you use the car for outings?
what would you do if you had to take a child to hospital?
what do you use on the stairs to stop children going upstairs?

these are just a few...I tend to give the information to them before they even ask and then the RA would confirm my actions.
We can of course give all this information verbally ...very time consuming...so for me a RA worked very well.

AliceK
24-01-2016, 12:26 PM
The questions I have had from parents are:
how do you keep my child safe on outings? do you use reins? how safe are they when they cross the road?

How do you keep an eye on sleeping children? where do they sleep?
what do you do when changing nappies to keep my baby safe when you deal with other children?
what would you do if you lost a child?
do you use the car for outings?
what would you do if you had to take a child to hospital?
what do you use on the stairs to stop children going upstairs?

these are just a few...I tend to give the information to them before they even ask and then the RA would confirm my actions.
We can of course give all this information verbally ...very time consuming...so for me a RA worked very well.

I have never been asked anything like that, honestly. Maybe because I tend to ramble on a bit and have already said something which answers a question a parent might of had or maybe like myself when I used a childminder (I also never asked prospective minders any of those questions) they can see for themselves how I keep children safe :huh:

xx

Simona
24-01-2016, 12:40 PM
I have never been asked anything like that, honestly. Maybe because I tend to ramble on a bit and have already said something which answers a question a parent might of had or maybe like myself when I used a childminder (I also never asked prospective minders any of those questions) they can see for themselves how I keep children safe :huh:

xx

I do believe you...many parents may not ask, others do.
In all honesty I would be surprised if they did not ask anything about keeping children safe considering cms are out and about in the community and not confined within 4 walls

Also during settling in ...which for me was anything up to 4 weeks according to how I judged the transition to be....many parents would be able to see how we managed risks and can ask as many questions as they want.

Yes it can be obvious that we have several things in place for safety but been questioned has never caused a problem.

rickysmiths
24-01-2016, 11:24 PM
I have to say even when I had written RAs I don't think one parent asked to see them and I certainly never showed them to parents!

Yes I have had parents ask about the safety of their children when in my care and I will discuss briefly the measures I take.

Simona
25-01-2016, 08:28 AM
Well...it seems to me that some parents do not ask many questions...others do...I really cannot see the problem if they do want to enquire about their child's safety?...does anyone?
How much time or opportunities are parents given at that 1st interview to ask those questions?
I always gave that to them and see nothing wrong in doing so.

A RA is identifying risks and acting to minimise them...why should it be a worry if some cms give it to parents?
Do cms include this in their parents 'Info pack'?

Someone suggested that parents can see everything when they visit our settings first time...I don't think they can...how do we show them what we do when we go on outings and use the car?
I personally took the children on long journeys/outings a lot and that cannot be shown in a visit
It also depends on the size of our settings

As cms we all did extensive RA when they were required...do we throw that document away now or put it to good use by sharing with the parents how we keep their children safe?

As we give parents our policies to read and sign ...I have always included my RA with that...I see nothing wrong with adding a touch of individuality to the service we provide.

As it is not compulsory to give to parents no one has suggested cms do this...up to you...show your uniqueness by doing something different! :thumbsup:

In response to the OP....the size and depth of your RA is totally up to you...take your time in writing one and use it to your advantage!