PDA

View Full Version : im really worried

Jessymax
21-01-2016, 08:20 AM
I look after my good friends little boy so this is why its even more difficult I think she is aware he may have a problem of some sort he is 27months and is babbling constantly full blown conversations that obviously make no sense to anyone other than him, he understands very simple instructions and says a few words can tell me noises that animals make etc. I am going to ask mum if his old placement did a 2 year progress check if they didn't I am going to do one and be quite honest? I don't want to **** her off or upset her because she is aware he isn't advanced as he should be. He is the most affectionate little thing :( ust worrying

chris goodyear
21-01-2016, 10:39 AM
As he is only just over 2 I wouldn't be unduly worried. Many boys I have minded (and one of my own sons) didn't really speak clearly until they were nearer to 3. Many girls on the other hand are quite fluent before the age of 2!

JCrakers
21-01-2016, 01:09 PM
Sounds quite 'normal' to me :-) Through experience, boys can be later at talking......my dh still doesnt say much and hes 44 lol

A lot of children dont talk until later. I had a little girl who couldnt talk until she was 3, now she never shuts up. I wouldnt worry at 27m :-) If hes listening and hearing his name called, and following simple instructions when you tslk.

If you feel you have to shout for him to hear, then he may need a hearing test.

Jessymax
21-01-2016, 02:17 PM
he just talks gobbildy gook language lol none stop babbling that makes no sense its difficult not to compare him to other children his age I know you shouldn't compare will keep an eye x

moggy
21-01-2016, 02:22 PM
he just talks gobbildy gook language lol none stop babbling that makes no sense its difficult not to compare him to other children his age I know you shouldn't compare will keep an eye x

Gobbildigook is good- it is practicing consonant and vowel sounds, it is learning to use the rhythm and intonation of the language, it is drawing others into 'conversation'. I would be worried if he was silent, not if he is babbling.
He is very young still.
You could ask mum to take him to a SaLT drop-in if you have one, just a casual chat to see what they think- I would not be too concerned myself.

hectors house
22-01-2016, 09:59 AM
Maybe do this assessment on the child and also e-mail link to the mum so she can do it, you can then compare and discuss what steps may need to be taken - does he say any recognisable words?, maybe you could learn a little makaton sign language (like Mr Tumble does) and just revert back to using single words eg: Drink, coat, shoes, cat, dog as maybe he is copying everyone talking in complex sentences.

Progress Checker | Talking Point (http://www.talkingpoint.org.uk/progress-checker)

Jessymax
22-01-2016, 10:14 AM
yeah I have done that and it said needs to be refereed at the end of it. I asked mum yesterday if he had had a 2yr progress check by last setting she said no but health visitor came when he turned 2, so I should do one shouldn't I and be quite honest in a sensitive way? x

Simona
22-01-2016, 11:34 AM
It maybe useful to look at communication and language as separate sometimes...if you know what I mean.

A child may not say many words ...so language has to be observed and extended ...but the communication and comprehension are both there

Looking at DM....Listening and Attention and Understanding....then observing for a while will get you to the point where you know what needs addressing