PDA

View Full Version : 5 year old not in school

crumpet54
20-01-2016, 01:03 PM
Hi I've just had an enquiry for a 1 year old and 5 year old, very confusing message, have now found out the 5 year is not in school yet,
Thoughts please? What would it need to do? Go down the home school route?

moggy
20-01-2016, 01:08 PM
It might be that they are deferring school to the legal school age of the term after 5th birthday.
It might be that they are home-educating.
If they are home educating the education is the parent's responsibility, not yours.

crumpet54
20-01-2016, 02:07 PM
It might be that they are deferring school to the legal school age of the term after 5th birthday.
It might be that they are home-educating.
If they are home educating the education is the parent's responsibility, not yours.

Thanks moggy, I'll ask her

Simona
20-01-2016, 02:24 PM
Hi I've just had an enquiry for a 1 year old and 5 year old, very confusing message, have now found out the 5 year is not in school yet,
Thoughts please? What would it need to do? Go down the home school route?

Check EYFS page 14 for EYFSP for children not in school at age 5

moggy
20-01-2016, 02:54 PM
Check EYFS page 14 for EYFSP for children not in school at age 5

If the child turned 5 before 31st Aug (or whatever the cut-off date for school is) they would be 'Year 1' so past EYFSP age.

If the child turned 5 since 31st Aug they would be 'Reception Year' age- so EYFSP would be relevant, but I am not sure if parent can opt-out if they have registered with LA as home-educating longterm? Would need to be discussed with family and LA (with parent's consent: some home-ed families are not known to LA and want to stay that way!). LA can advise on how/if they want EYFSP completed.

Simona
20-01-2016, 03:02 PM
It may be wise to find out from the parents if they are home educating the child which I believe will give the answer to crumpet.

If the child is past compulsory school age that is different but we do not know
If the child is home educated...let's assume that for a moment...why is the parent seeking childcare in an Ofsted registered setting where she must know we have to follow the EYFS
The rest I agree but we do not have the right details...interesting as we rarely come across cases like this

crumpet54
20-01-2016, 04:43 PM
Thanks all for your info, I've not had a reply yet from mum, but I will keep you posted once I hear more

bunyip
20-01-2016, 06:58 PM
If they're being home educated, but also in the care of a registered CM, albeit occasionally, would the CM become responsible for completing the Progress summary for the child at the end of the EY stage?

My reading of EYFS suggests they would, but I can't see the logic, since the child would not be moving into a Key Stage 1 class next academic year.

Hmmm.........................? :confused:

Can anyone advise? :huh:

crumpet54
20-01-2016, 07:24 PM
Update ****
They've recently moved into the area

Simona
21-01-2016, 09:11 AM
If they're being home educated, but also in the care of a registered CM, albeit occasionally, would the CM become responsible for completing the Progress summary for the child at the end of the EY stage?

My reading of EYFS suggests they would, but I can't see the logic, since the child would not be moving into a Key Stage 1 class next academic year.

Hmmm.........................? :confused:

Can anyone advise? :huh:

Just a quick call to the DfE should answer your question about the Progress summary

or do you mean the EYFS Profile which is not a summary but an extensive check?
sorry to ask it is unclear to me which you mean but what the EYFS requires is clear but soooooooo out of date.
Any other country has a curriculum that is hard to quote or comply with due to the fact it is in dire need of an update??

While you are there also ask them why the EYFS Profile is still mentioned when Baseline Assessment is now done at end of Reception?

It would help us all to get the blooming EYFS up to speed....we did ask Ofsted at London OBC if the EYFS was going to be updated and when....blank stares followed!!

what do Ofsted care if we have a dodgy framework as long as they gallop ahead with all their changes!!

bunyip
21-01-2016, 06:22 PM
Just a quick call to the DfE should answer your question about the Progress summary

or do you mean the EYFS Profile which is not a summary but an extensive check?
sorry to ask it is unclear to me which you mean but what the EYFS requires is clear but soooooooo out of date.
Any other country has a curriculum that is hard to quote or comply with due to the fact it is in dire need of an update??

While you are there also ask them why the EYFS Profile is still mentioned when Baseline Assessment is now done at end of Reception?

It would help us all to get the blooming EYFS up to speed....we did ask Ofsted at London OBC if the EYFS was going to be updated and when....blank stares followed!!

what do Ofsted care if we have a dodgy framework as long as they gallop ahead with all their changes!!

You're right: I meant the EYFS profile. I got the terminology wrong in my excitement at the prospect of reading another government document.

I'm dreading another edition of EYFS. I think I'd rather draw my own teeth (such as remain) than read another bl00dy EYFS re-hash. :panic: