PDA

View Full Version : Floor space requirements and visiting children.

Mouse
19-01-2016, 03:41 PM
We often have a childminder friend and their mindees visit, or we go to their house to visit, as I'm sure many of you do.

Do you ever consider floor space requirements when you have a visitor, or you go visiting?

I had 3 mindees this morning and a friend visited with her 3. It's only when I came to write it up in my diary that I thought about floor space. I don't have enough for 6 EYs children so should I really have them here? It's never occurred to me to question it.

AliceK
19-01-2016, 03:45 PM
I've never thought about it but I doubt we have to adhere to it for the short amount of time in the day when we might have another CM visit with their mindees. I hope not otherwise it would put a stop to playdates with other mindees wouldn't it.

xxxx

Mouse
19-01-2016, 04:07 PM
I've never thought about it but I doubt we have to adhere to it for the short amount of time in the day when we might have another CM visit with their mindees. I hope not otherwise it would put a stop to playdates with other mindees wouldn't it.

xxxx

That's what I thought. I've always visited other childminders and had them come here. Sometimes several of us will go to one person's house so there can be a lot of children there. I've never known anyone be picked up on it and I don't even know why I thought about it today!

BallyH
19-01-2016, 04:14 PM
I'm always seeing other cm's also and my house can seem very full at times. But I have never thought about it before re floor space. I think it is very important for us to communicate with others and our eyfs children to meet other children also so I'm going to continue. In my visitor book I've only ever written the cm's name and that they came to play. Not the children. But it's a very good point to raise. But I'm still going to continue as I enjoy having them here and visiting them, especially at this time of year. I Suppose just be aware of risk.

sarah707
19-01-2016, 08:19 PM
We have heard of inspectors arriving with tape measures to check floor space - but never anyone picking up on lack of floor space when there are visitors...

Best not give them ideas :panic:

Mouse
19-01-2016, 08:55 PM
We have heard of inspectors arriving with tape measures to check floor space - but never anyone picking up on lack of floor space when there are visitors...

Best not give them ideas :panic:

Quick...delete the post :laughing:

halor
19-01-2016, 09:03 PM
When I had my pre inspection she measured the room with a tape measure as my house is so small!

Simona
20-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Yes...your setting is looked at for space at pre registration visit....any problems with it would be flagged up by the inspector there and then...not sure we need to continue re-measuring our space...unless I have missed something?

Mouse
20-01-2016, 09:49 AM
Yes...your setting is looked at for space at pre registration visit....any problems with it would be flagged up by the inspector there and then...not sure we need to continue re-measuring our space...unless I have missed something?

My question was about visitors being here with other children. I know the floor space requirements are checked at pre-reg, but that's for the children you are going to mind. I recheck mine when I move the furniture around or when I added another sofa to a room. I have limited space in the rooms that I use so can have a maximum of 4 EYs children here (my usual 3, plus an extra if needed for CoC). I just wondered what happened when I had other children here with their childminder, when I wouldn't have the space requirement for 6 EYs children. I wondered if the space requirements still apply when you have visitors.

Simona
20-01-2016, 10:04 AM
My question was about visitors being here with other children. I know the floor space requirements are checked at pre-reg, but that's for the children you are going to mind. I recheck mine when I move the furniture around or when I added another sofa to a room. I have limited space in the rooms that I use so can have a maximum of 4 EYs children here (my usual 3, plus an extra if needed for CoC). I just wondered what happened when I had other children here with their childminder, when I wouldn't have the space requirement for 6 EYs children. I wondered if the space requirements still apply when you have visitors.

Asking that question in a forum like this means you get several different points of view
The EYFS allows cms space for 6 under 8...that space is not really that big and most ...I would say ...comply.

What happens if 2 new prospective parents visit you and bring 2 children to view your setting?...would that mean you are out of space then?...I am not sure as I am not sure about other cms visiting for a short time to get the children to play together...unless we live in a shoe box I would say it is up to us to judge.

I had the opportunity to ask the HMI at London OBC yesterday as she took questions after the meeting...she agreed that in any case when we have a question or need clarification Ofsted Helpline is there to help us....we need to do that more often