PDA

View Full Version : Sports bottles versus open top cups

mumofone
19-01-2016, 01:32 PM
I've read quite a few OFSTED reports that talk about practitioners not helping mindees with self care and independence etc.
With regards to drinking, when is it considered ok to drink out of a bottle and when should it be a cup?
For instance the 4 and 6 year old I give cups to but they often spill drinks so I was thinking I'd get them sports bottles but is this seen as hampering their skills?
And when should drinking out of a cup be encouraged for the youngest mindees?
Thank you :-)

moggy
19-01-2016, 01:42 PM
I feel there is a time and a place for both-

Little ones here (10mth-2.5yrs or so) have a spouted beaker (flip-up spout, no valve) of water that they have free access to, I chuck them in a bag when we go out, take them in the garden etc. Colour coded, cheap and easy.

All of them here (10mth-4yrs) sit at a little table and have an open cup of milk in the afternoon, I hold the cup if needed, I use Doidy cups for youngest, any old plastic open-cup once drinking well from a Doidy.

Depending on the child, from 2.5yrs they have a small glass of water at the dinner table with a meal... but that has to be weighed up- if they keep tipping it, spoiling their dinner with pouring it about, cause me to have to go and get cloths etc to clear up then I stick with a spouted beaker for a bit longer. But I never use those ones with valves so they learn they have to put the cup down properly the right way up or it spills and moggy gets sad!

moggy
19-01-2016, 01:45 PM
...so going back to your point- for a 4-6 yr old I would use a sports bottle in the garden, when out and about etc.
But would insist on an open cup in the house- at a table- ask them to sit, pour and drink- no walking around with cups, no drinks on the sofa etc. I think it is about setting an example, having firm boundaries and rules about how we have our drinks. I think sports bottles for older children indoors is a lazy way out, it is not going to help them in the long term.

FloraDora
19-01-2016, 02:04 PM
I am similar to Moggy.
For free access water during the day I have a lidded cup with no valves so they learn. Then I have a water tap that they access themselves - with glasses - on a tray - once they are able, usually about 2 years old. I do have water bottles for when we go out and about. The monkey water fountain and tray gets taken outside in the garden too.

I use mainly glass or crockery - it teaches them to take care and, touch wood, no issues with this so far. I am not a big plastic fan, I love nice glasses and crockery and am definitely a tea cup person so I encourage this appreciation in the children too, they describe the cup they want or the shape or colour of the glass, great for observation and noticing patterns etc...
From as soon as they can - about 10 months plus, they use my bunnykins two handled nursery cups at mealtimes and snack time. And then about 18 months I move them on to a glass for water at meal times and a one handled small cup and saucer for milk or sometimes hot chocolate. But children are different so there is no set time, just when I feel they can take that next step.

mumofone
19-01-2016, 09:00 PM
...so going back to your point- for a 4-6 yr old I would use a sports bottle in the garden, when out and about etc.
But would insist on an open cup in the house- at a table- ask them to sit, pour and drink- no walking around with cups, no drinks on the sofa etc. I think it is about setting an example, having firm boundaries and rules about how we have our drinks. I think sports bottles for older children indoors is a lazy way out, it is not going to help them in the long term.

Thanks Moggy.
I think I'll just watch them closer in that case with the open topped cups.

I think I know what actually happens, when my back is turned, 6 year old "jogs" the table causing younger mindee to spill drink which then starts the whole " bla bla has just spilt their drink"...never happens when Im there and looking...funny that!

mumofone
19-01-2016, 09:01 PM
I feel there is a time and a place for both-

Little ones here (10mth-2.5yrs or so) have a spouted beaker (flip-up spout, no valve) of water that they have free access to, I chuck them in a bag when we go out, take them in the garden etc. Colour coded, cheap and easy.

All of them here (10mth-4yrs) sit at a little table and have an open cup of milk in the afternoon, I hold the cup if needed, I use Doidy cups for youngest, any old plastic open-cup once drinking well from a Doidy.

Depending on the child, from 2.5yrs they have a small glass of water at the dinner table with a meal... but that has to be weighed up- if they keep tipping it, spoiling their dinner with pouring it about, cause me to have to go and get cloths etc to clear up then I stick with a spouted beaker for a bit longer. But I never use those ones with valves so they learn they have to put the cup down properly the right way up or it spills and moggy gets sad!

Thanks Moggy, going to try a doidy with my own little one...

bunyip
20-01-2016, 07:08 PM
I'd say this one is like potty training. There's no 'right' age, but whatever you do requires support and consistency at the CM's and at home.

To be perfectly frank, I can get very angry about this. I know of several CMs who say they were pulled up on inspection because 3-4yo's in their care had closed cups, sports bottles, etc. and the inspectre was adamant they should be on open cups. The inspectre wouldn't budge, despite the CMs saying they were doing exacly what mums and dads did at home, thereby offering consistency and ensuring the wee ones didn't get all the toys and resources soggy.

Then, of course, they start school and what happens? Schools require all children to bring a sports bottle for water. :angry:

When it comes to school, the 'development' question goes out of the window, just so long as school doesn't have the odd spillage to deal with. But CMs get lectured by inspectres and s0d their soft furnishings.

To recap. In the Gospel According to Prospects, a 3yo with a water bottle can stop a CM getting an Outstanding grade. A 4, 5, 6,.......10yo with a water bottle in school is perfectly fine and dandy.

"The Common Inspection Framework will offer improved fairness and equality"...............? ........................discuss. :mad: