PDA

View Full Version : Question re space

mumofone
13-01-2016, 10:32 PM
I'm using an upstairs bedroom for babies to sleep in a cot only. So the floor space isn't used in there, just the cot for sleep only. My question is do I include the floor space of that room (being that the room is used at all) in my available space calculations or just ignore it as only the cot is used?
Thanks! (And yes I know I should know this already!) :-)

Jessymax
14-01-2016, 09:31 AM
im not sure sorry but whats the reason behind calculating this? did your inspector not tell you your house space was sufficient on inspection? xx

mumofone
14-01-2016, 09:53 AM
im not sure sorry but whats the reason behind calculating this? did your inspector not tell you your house space was sufficient on inspection? xx

Just working out my available space should I get questioned on it ever....

Simona
14-01-2016, 10:01 AM
When you receive your pre registration visit the inspector will look at your setting and generally at space....they will look upstairs where you intend to have babies sleepings...they will look at any kitchen galleys or even corridors for space

If there are any reasons for you to have a different number of children ...for whatever reasons not just space...these will be listed in your registration certificate....otherwise it will be a blank 6 under 8.

Look at what the certificate says....does it say you are registered to care for 6 children under 8?....then your space was correct and no need to re measurer.

Please check if you feel this is wrong...it is how I read the EYFS.... or call Ofsted to clarify....also your EY team, as I have said before, will help as they will know about 'expansion' policies and grants for expansion which will cover space.

It is important that Ofsted understand the EYFS is not always as clear as a bell....as so many questions prove cms may still be a bit unsure.
My setting was measured years and years ago and I don't think it ever needed re-measuring

Good luck... and I am glad we have a London OBC looming for lots of clarifications as I am rather concerned at some of the questions from Cms...which should not arise because nothing has changed...so what is causing them?

Mumofone...who would ever question you except the inspector? ...also your judgement will question your decision
you are waiting for your 1st inspection?...get all those questions answered and clarified :thumbsup:

mumofone
14-01-2016, 10:25 AM
When you receive your pre registration visit the inspector will look at your setting and generally at space....they will look upstairs where you intend to have babies sleepings...they will look at any kitchen galleys or even corridors for space If there are any reasons for you to have a different number of children ...for whatever reasons not just space...these will be listed in your registration certificate....otherwise it will be a blank 6 under 8. Look at what the certificate says....does it say you are registered to care for 6 children under 8?....then your space was correct and no need to re measurer. Please check if you feel this is wrong...it is how I read the EYFS.... or call Ofsted to clarify....also your EY team, as I have said before, will help as they will know about 'expansion' policies and grants for expansion which will cover space. It is important that Ofsted understand the EYFS is not always as clear as a bell....as so many questions prove cms may still be a bit unsure. My setting was measured years and years ago and I don't think it ever needed re-measuring Good luck... and I am glad we have a London OBC looming for lots of clarifications as I am rather concerned at some of the questions from Cms...which should not arise because nothing has changed...so what is causing them? Mumofone...who would ever question you except the inspector? ...also your judgement will question your decision you are waiting for your 1st inspection?...get all those questions answered and clarified :thumbsup:

Sorry I think you're reading too much into my post, I simply want to know should I use the bedroom as part of my floor space calculations or not as only the cot is used?

Simona
14-01-2016, 10:30 AM
Sorry I think you're reading too much into my post, I simply want to know should I use the bedroom as part of my floor space calculations or not as only the cot is used?

I think in a way you have answered your own question...call Ofsted and tell them you wish to use a bedroom for a cot.

Mouse
14-01-2016, 10:33 AM

That's something I've never thought about before. In the EYFS it says something about calculating the areas children use excluding staff areas etc, but it doesn't say anything about sleeping spaces. It would be interesting to know if you ever get a definite answer.

mumofone
14-01-2016, 10:33 AM
I think in a way you have answered your own question...call Ofsted and tell them you wish to use a bedroom for a cot.

Ok so you don't know either!

Lal
14-01-2016, 10:39 AM
I only include the area available for playing. I've done a chart showing how many children I can have in each age group at anyone time (I have a small house so need to consider age/ floorspace)
I don't think you need to call ofsted to tell them you want to use a room for sleeping. I showed my pre-reg inspector our spare room (not set up for children) and said I would make the space suitable if I needed it for a sleep room. There are no stipulations on my certificate for numbers or ages of children or which parts of the house I can or can't use.

Simona
14-01-2016, 10:40 AM
Ok so you don't know either!

Yes I do know as I interpret the EYFS for my provision...not sure what you mean by I don't know either? but... whenever I was unsure I have called Ofsted and got my answer and made sure my query was recorded....or asked the EY team for support

As said by lal...you don't need to call Ofsted but do so if you feel more reassured that way as they will have records of your visit.... and lal also says her certificate has no stipulations.

mumofone
14-01-2016, 10:52 AM
Yes I do know as I interpret the EYFS for my provision...not sure what you mean by I don't know either? but... whenever I was unsure I have called Ofsted and got my answer and made sure my query was recorded....or asked the EY team for support As said by lal...you don't need to call Ofsted but do so if you feel more reassured that way as they will have records of your visit.... and lal also says her certificate has no stipulations.

Ok, so do you use any upstairs bedroom for your childminding?
Is the bedroom used solely for sleeping purposes or do children play in there too?

Simona
14-01-2016, 10:58 AM
Ok, so do you use any upstairs bedroom for your childminding?
Is the bedroom used solely for sleeping purposes or do children play in there too?

Yes ...all the children did was sleep there and I told the inspector...and recorded in my SEF too when I listed the use of the whole setting... that was the only use for the room but I could take them there with me if I went upstairs for any reasons with due RA...so never left the children unsupervised....that worked for my provision

redtiger21
14-01-2016, 12:58 PM
I interpret it that the reason behind having floor space requirements is so that each child has enough space to actually play in. The floor space in a sleeping room would probably only count if you plan for children to play in that room on the floor, otherwise I'd say don't count it.

mumofone
14-01-2016, 02:03 PM
I interpret it that the reason behind having floor space requirements is so that each child has enough space to actually play in. The floor space in a sleeping room would probably only count if you plan for children to play in that room on the floor, otherwise I'd say don't count it.

Thanks redtiger, this is how I interpret it too, thank you :-) x

Simona
14-01-2016, 02:07 PM
Thanks redtiger21...that is what it is all about.

mumofone
14-01-2016, 02:59 PM
I only include the area available for playing. I've done a chart showing how many children I can have in each age group at anyone time (I have a small house so need to consider age/ floorspace) I don't think you need to call ofsted to tell them you want to use a room for sleeping. I showed my pre-reg inspector our spare room (not set up for children) and said I would make the space suitable if I needed it for a sleep room. There are no stipulations on my certificate for numbers or ages of children or which parts of the house I can or can't use.

Thanks Lal :-)