PDA

View Full Version : Quick yes or no required r.e paracetamol please?!..

Jelly Baby
13-01-2016, 01:15 PM
Hi,

I've just had a call from one of my mums regarding her child who I have after school. She has asked if I can allow her to have a paracetamol tablet when we get back (8yr old)..can we do this or do we need the book signing first? I've never done so unless its been pre signed so not 100% sure as things change all the time....Help?!

Thanks

mama2three
13-01-2016, 01:20 PM
In terms of 'paperwork' it needs to be written not verbal , so ask her to send you a quick email detailing reason , dose , last administered etc..then get her to sign when she collects.

But Id be a little concerned about why child needs paracetamol ... if really not well then they shouldn't be with you!

Would you provide the tablet or has she taken them to school? Im sure my box of paracetamol says over 12 years.

TinyTinker
13-01-2016, 01:21 PM
paracetamol tablets usually say over 12. usually paracetamol suspension for this age- get her to send a text with permission and fill out form when you see her.

Simona
13-01-2016, 01:23 PM
Hi,

I've just had a call from one of my mums regarding her child who I have after school. She has asked if I can allow her to have a paracetamol tablet when we get back (8yr old)..can we do this or do we need the book signing first? I've never done so unless its been pre signed so not 100% sure as things change all the time....Help?!

Thanks

Record it as a verbal 'permission' by telephone to administer medicine...making sure the child has had paracetamol before....Nurofen contains paracetamol as an example
At pick up follow the usual procedures and get parent to sign.

Dragonfly
13-01-2016, 01:23 PM
If you have forms already signed to allow you to give medicine to that child ,you get the medication book signed on collection and they provide medication yes I would.

rickysmiths
13-01-2016, 01:27 PM
If the child has been fine at school all day why do they suddenly need a tablet before mum collects?

I would be very very wary of giving it to be honest. If the child is ill then Mum needs to collect from school now?

However you need permission in writing a phone call will not do. If you are happy to do it she must email you with the time of the last pill, exactly what pill she wants you to give ie 200mg or 400mg You then need to fill out a medication form for her to sign and I would print the email and get her to sign that as well.

Jelly Baby
13-01-2016, 01:31 PM
Thanks so much for the quick replies. I thought that was the case. I only have 1 box and it does say 12 or over Tiny tinker so wont be giving that. We are (touch wood) never ill so have very little medication such as calpol or liquid paracetamol. Its for an ulcer so nothing infectious as such!
Im off the thinking that if they come with medicine and im happy to give but if its not pre agreed im always cautious.
Thanks again.

JCrakers
13-01-2016, 01:33 PM
Hi,

Thanks

If the child is 8yrs, they shouldn't be having Paracetomal 500mg tablets. They are for over 12s. They can have Calpol or Nurofen liquid

Check the packaging. Mine are 500mg in the cupboard for family use.

Simona
13-01-2016, 02:46 PM
In certain cases a phone permission is totally acceptable RS
Maybe you could check this out and let us know if they are truly unacceptable...I believe they are perfectly OK when it is new case of sickness and not an ongoing one which we get permission in advance.

mama2three
13-01-2016, 05:25 PM
Maybe you could check this out and let us know if they are truly unacceptable...I believe they are perfectly OK when it is new case of sickness and not an ongoing one which we get permission in advance.

My understanding is that is has to be written , ( eyfs stat framework 3.46 , Medicine (both prescription and non-prescription) must only be administered to a
child where written permission for that particular medicine has been obtained from the child’s parent and/or carer. Providers must keep a written record each time a medicine is administered to a child, and inform the child’s parents and/or carers onthe same day, or as soon as reasonably practicable) .

Has this been superceded or amended simona?

AliceK
13-01-2016, 06:22 PM
I will happily give appropriate medication from a verbal instruction, then fill out a medication form and have parent sign it when they collect. I have no problem with that.

xx

loocyloo
13-01-2016, 06:22 PM

This is what I believe and have aways done.
I have written and signed permission to give medication for 'new' illness. I get verbal/text/email permission before I give it. The medication form is then signed at collection.
Ongoing illness medication is signed for in advance.

Simona
13-01-2016, 06:41 PM
My understanding is that is has to be written , ( eyfs stat framework 3.46 , Medicine (both prescription and non-prescription) must only be administered to a
child where written permission for that particular medicine has been obtained from the child’s parent and/or carer. Providers must keep a written record each time a medicine is administered to a child, and inform the child’s parents and/or carers onthe same day, or as soon as reasonably practicable) .

I don't think so
If a child is prescribed antibiotics ...as an example....you get prior permission to administer over the few days...and sign each night

If a child suddenly develops a very high temperature....another example...you can get verbal permission to administer medicine while waiting for pick up
Or if you have medicine for a child prone to convulsions due to high fever...that would apply too to prevent matters getting worse...that would be covered in a permission filed in the child's records
That medicine would be the child's own if you have a supply safely stored in your First Aid cabinet

For any ongoing medical problem the parents need to give permission to administer immediately in an emergency

I think that is the way I see it...at my last inspection the inspector did see each child's medicine stored and labelled and had no questions about this as long as permission was obtained which she saw in the paperwork

I had a child with an Epipen...I needed to use that immediately as I had a written permission form...then inform the parents

It may be useful to check if anyone is unsure but I was very confident of my procedures
In addition to that my policy was in the contract so signed by all involved

redtiger21
13-01-2016, 10:42 PM
Record it as a verbal 'permission' by telephone to administer medicine...making sure the child has had paracetamol before....Nurofen contains paracetamol as an example
At pick up follow the usual procedures and get parent to sign.

I agree with everything you've said Simona, but I do have to add that Nurofen does not contain paracetamol, it contains ibuprofen. I'm not saying this in order to be pedantic, but just that I'd hate anyone to think that because they've had a dose of nurofen (thinking the active ingredient was paracetamol) that they can then take ibuprofen as well before the 4-6 hours is up :)

mama2three
14-01-2016, 06:50 AM
Logic and common sense tell me that everything the last few poster have said is correct , loocyloo , simona etc , yes it makes perfect sense that we call a parent , they verbally give permission , they sign when they collect......and it is what I have done on occasion too.
But I am still sure that that isnt what the eyfs tells us we should do. 3.46 is clear , and permission should be written.

redtiger21
14-01-2016, 07:47 AM
Logic and common sense tell me that everything the last few poster have said is correct , loocyloo , simona etc , yes it makes perfect sense that we call a parent , they verbally give permission , they sign when they collect......and it is what I have done on occasion too.
But I am still sure that that isnt what the eyfs tells us we should do. 3.46 is clear , and permission should be written.

Can we accept a text as emergency written permission?

Simona
14-01-2016, 09:47 AM
I agree with everything you've said Simona, but I do have to add that Nurofen does not contain paracetamol, it contains ibuprofen. I'm not saying this in order to be pedantic, but just that I'd hate anyone to think that because they've had a dose of nurofen (thinking the active ingredient was paracetamol) that they can then take ibuprofen as well before the 4-6 hours is up :)

My apologies ...you are totally correct
I should have known as I personally cannot take Nurofen because it contains Ibuprofen...so very sorry....thank you for bringing it up and correcting

Mama2three...yes permission must be in writing and that you cover in your policy or ...whatever document you produce in order to make parents understand that and comply with EYFS

1. medication can only be given on 'each occasion' when there is parental permission and giving a child's own medicine...either one you are able to store such as Nurofen. or Calpol...
(by the way I was not sure on the OP whether the Paracetamol tablet belonged to the child or not?)

2. or one prescribed for specific reasons such as Epipen....this one will include any medication for ongoing illness or death threatening reactions such as Anaphylaxis

3. in your document/policy you ask the parents to sign and then ask them for a separate form/permission for medication such as Epipen...where you must act immediately to 'save lives' and where you will administer...contact 999 and then contact parents to inform...the school will probably have the same permission

4. where you have permission to store medicine for 'general ailments' such as Calpol or Nurofen...these will be administered...should the child become ill and awaiting collection.....but you will require a verbal or text/email or call which you record on the individual medicine form for the child.

5. for certain medicines I also require parents to have given it before to ensure non allergic reactions

6. if a child carries medication and can use it without help ...such as 'inhalers' which they self administer ...you get a signature for this too in your 'permission/consent

This way ...the way I interpret EYFS...you have got written permission to cover all eventualities
my policy has been the same for years ...but has undergone several updates and tweaking....it has covered Epipen, rectal valium, inhalers, life saving medicines and simple Calpol and Nurofen

Hope it helps!

rickysmiths
14-01-2016, 07:08 PM

Absolutely. I would want a text at the very least or an email. However if it really is that much of an emergency I would have the parent, in this case, collecting from school. Not me.

I don't think there would be any reason not to have written permission would there?

rickysmiths
14-01-2016, 07:13 PM
I will happily give appropriate medication from a verbal instruction, then fill out a medication form and have parent sign it when they collect. I have no problem with that.

xx

I think if Ofsted walked in on such a situation you could be in trouble and also if anything went wrong? Parent made a mistake for example or you misheard and instruction and you had nothing in writing you would probably find you were not covered by your PLI because you had not adhered to the Terms of your registration with Ofsted because you had not complied with a MUST (a legal requirement) in EYFS.

I have to say I wouldn't risk doing this ever.

Simona
14-01-2016, 07:22 PM
Why doesn't someone ring Ofsted and clarify this...or even the DfE as it is part of the EYFS

I cannot see how a parent giving permission to give Calpol ...child's own medicine....by text to a child who suddenly develops high temperature would be a problem?
Would it not be the opposite if we did not react to a situation that needs us to ensure wellbeing?
Would I have needed permission to take a child to hospital when she suddenly developed a reaction to peanuts first time? That was life saving!

That's the beauty here...or not maybe ....hundreds of different opinions...who is right and who is wrong? EYFS 2014 is too unclear again! Compare that to EYFS 2008 and see why it needs addressing!

redtiger21
14-01-2016, 10:16 PM
Why doesn't someone ring Ofsted and clarify this...or even the DfE as it is part of the EYFS

I cannot see how a parent giving permission to give Calpol ...child's own medicine....by text to a child who suddenly develops high temperature would be a problem?
Would it not be the opposite if we did not react to a situation that needs us to ensure wellbeing?
Would I have needed permission to take a child to hospital when she suddenly developed a reaction to peanuts first time? That was life saving!

That's the beauty here...or not maybe ....hundreds of different opinions...who is right and who is wrong? EYFS 2014 is too unclear again! Compare that to EYFS 2008 and see why it needs addressing!

I'm of the opinion that an electronic written permission is as good as pen-and-paper in an emergency (although technically this isn't an emergency)- as long as the text/email includes the child's name, the name of medication, dosage and time of required dose, plus if applicable the time of the last dosage. If a child desperately needs paracetamol then they should really be at home, but I think we should consider the fact that while we wait for parents to collect, which could be quite a while, that dosage of paracetamol will be helping the ill child to manage their pain and fever 👍