PDA

View Full Version : Potty training

halor
13-01-2016, 12:38 PM
Bit of an odd one. Little one is 13 months and suffers terribly from nappy rash, to the point of open sores etc. Gran has told mum that by that age she was potty trained and that what she should do to help her bottom. Mum spoke to me and I've said I'm happy to urge her to use the potty but I won't accept her in knickers until she is mostly dry, especially as I'm full the days she comes. Little one isn't even acknowledging a dirty nappy at the moment, unless her bottom is so sore it hurts immediately. Little one is showing no signs of being ready at all.

What's everyone's rules on potty training?

moggy
13-01-2016, 01:37 PM
Before disposable nappies children were out of nappies earlier than they are now, so granny might be right- but, it may not have been potty training as we know it:

Look up 'elimination communication' (EC)- that is actually what past generations did and in many cultures round the world it is still the norm.

It can start at birth- there are children who never wear nappies.
It is about the parent being very close to the child, learning their 'cues'- little sounds/movements they make before wee/poo and then it is the adult that gets the child to the potty/loo in time. There are even tiny potties for little babies for this- google EC.

Think back to the days before disposable nappies- parents did everything to avoid having to wash and dry those heavy, thick toweling nappies, and in many cultures nappies are just not part of their parenting and are not even available- they carry baby, see/hear the signals and squat them on a bowl/ground etc.

BUT EC-ing is not what we know as 'potty training' as the child is not literally walking to potty, pulling down/up own trousers etc. It is 'parent training' to catch the wee/poo and needs a very very close communication between carer and child.

I think a good chat with parents is needed. Is child allergic to disposable nappies? have they tried cloth nappies? Modern cloth nappies are very good- both my children used them. Or try the natural/eco-friendly-brand disposables, more expensive but with less chemicals which might be irritating her skin.

k1rstie
13-01-2016, 02:07 PM
I agree with Moggy. Things were very different before washing machines in people's homes.

clareelizabeth1
13-01-2016, 04:29 PM
My ds would ask for wees from 15 months but he was in cloth form birth. He was two before he came out of nappies thiugh as he liked to poo in nappiesCloth is well worth looking in to for thoses with sore bums try www.buzzbums.co.uk email them and they will advise. Other option is cloth pull ups as benefits of pants with enough stuff to soak up one wee.

halor
19-01-2016, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys, mum is very young an apparently she wore disposables. I used fluffy nappies with mine and have given her some to try as they were hanging around in the loft.

redtiger21
20-01-2016, 07:43 AM
Before disposable nappies children were out of nappies earlier than they are now, so granny might be right- but, it may not have been potty training as we know it:

Look up 'elimination communication' (EC)- that is actually what past generations did and in many cultures round the world it is still the norm.

It can start at birth- there are children who never wear nappies.
It is about the parent being very close to the child, learning their 'cues'- little sounds/movements they make before wee/poo and then it is the adult that gets the child to the potty/loo in time. There are even tiny potties for little babies for this- google EC.

Think back to the days before disposable nappies- parents did everything to avoid having to wash and dry those heavy, thick toweling nappies, and in many cultures nappies are just not part of their parenting and are not even available- they carry baby, see/hear the signals and squat them on a bowl/ground etc.

BUT EC-ing is not what we know as 'potty training' as the child is not literally walking to potty, pulling down/up own trousers etc. It is 'parent training' to catch the wee/poo and needs a very very close communication between carer and child.

I think a good chat with parents is needed. Is child allergic to disposable nappies? have they tried cloth nappies? Modern cloth nappies are very good- both my children used them. Or try the natural/eco-friendly-brand disposables, more expensive but with less chemicals which might be irritating her skin.

I agree, it was "toilet timing" rather than "toilet training". Nothing wrong with it at home, but not very practical in a setting. Hope you manage to resolve it x