PDA

View Full Version : Lace up shoes

halor
13-01-2016, 08:21 AM
Soooooo, my busiest day and the, just walking, 11 month old turns up in white lace up converse boots. Couple of nappy changes I managed to do with them still on. Eventually I had to strip her. Parents were a bit shocked when she didn't have them on at collection until I told them that trying to tie shoes onto a squirmy baby whilst looking after the rest isn't the easiest thing in the world

samb
13-01-2016, 08:27 AM
I look after 22 month twins who turned up last week both with lace up boots on! The type you have to open the lace right down onto the foot part to open wide enough to get the feet in and out and then pull individual bits up to do the lace tight enough to support the foot. I've been working on helping them undo Velcro on normal shoes and felt we were getting somewhere so double whammy of taking forever and now not continuing with a planned next step. Today they've come in normal shoes and mum looked at me a little strangely when I whooped with joy!

loocyloo
13-01-2016, 08:46 AM
My just 2yr old mindee turned up last week in big lace up boots ... He wore wellies all day and mum put them on to go home ;-)
Sam ... I feel your pain, this LO had just got the hang of taking his own (Velcro) shoes off and was just about getting them on again!

JCrakers
13-01-2016, 11:32 AM
Yes.. My 3.5yr old mindee is great at putting his shoes on and off, putting his coat on etc. The only thing I have to help him with is the zip on his coat, making the morning school run easier as some mornings I have 7 children.

Then he turned up in lace -up walking boots for 3 months :rolleyes: Lovely for the muddy weather but a step back for me and him because I had to take them off and put them n for him every time.

Maza
13-01-2016, 12:13 PM
My pet hate. I had a mindee like this and while all the others were learning and succeeding to put on their own shoes he was totally reliant on me. He actually started school not being able to put on his own shoes and when I bumped into mum she told me that his teacher had put this as his target. The thing is, because he couldn't put on his inappropriate shoes he got used to relying on adults and just used to grab his shoes, sit down and hold out his foot for me. I'm pleased to say that by the time I got his little brother a couple of years later, mum had taken everyone's advice on board and he came in 'easy' shoes.

I think I am going to add something to my 'new parents information' sheets.

halor
13-01-2016, 12:33 PM
I've asked that she doesn't wear lace ups, especially as she normally wears tights with them so I can't even pull the bottoms off over the shoes, if that makes sense. My son is 8 and has just started wearing lace ups

AliceK
13-01-2016, 12:50 PM
Lace up shoes on EY's children along with gloves are my pet hate and I refuse to do them. I am in and out at least 3 times a day getting between 4 and 7 children out and about and I just do not have the time to be doing laces up or faffing around trying to persuade 10 little fingers to fit into the correct part of gloves :angry:

xx

halor
13-01-2016, 12:52 PM
And then the constant fight for them to keep them on.........

BallyH
13-01-2016, 01:58 PM
Oh my pet hate also. I really do not like converse boots. They are very inconvenient. Time and time again I've asked parents to work with me and buy, as already posted here, 'easy shoes'. We need to start by teaching the child to help themselves to put their feet into the shoe then into the correct shoe. But very hard when laces and tongues involved. A mum recently thought she had listened as the hugh laceup boots had a side zip. What a pain it is even for me to zip it up. Its really tight and tricky, so we're back to me putting on her shoes.
And then gloves. Another pet hate. I walk to and from school every single day. No matter what the weather is. So I have requested all parents provide mittens in a fine knit as their walking child needs to be able to hold another child's hand, also wearing a fine knit glove. Well the clumpy, chinky knitted gloves that have arrived after Christmas made me want to weep. So I went to primark and bought half a dozen pairs of mittens. 3 for 99p. And now I'm happy and the children can all put these little mittens on themselves. They stay at my house. I'll move on to gloves, maybe, after february half term.

rickysmiths
13-01-2016, 02:01 PM
Soooooo, my busiest day and the, just walking, 11 month old turns up in white lace up converse boots. Couple of nappy changes I managed to do with them still on. Eventually I had to strip her. Parents were a bit shocked when she didn't have them on at collection until I told them that trying to tie shoes onto a squirmy baby whilst looking after the rest isn't the easiest thing in the world

I won't have any lace ups unless the child can put their shoes on and do them up. End of.

Those little Converse boots are nuts I had one in them and I took them off and handed them back to the parents!

rickysmiths
13-01-2016, 02:08 PM
Oh my pet hate also. I really do not like converse boots. They are very inconvenient. Time and time again I've asked parents to work with me and buy, as already posted here, 'easy shoes'. We need to start by teaching the child to help themselves to put their feet into the shoe then into the correct shoe. But very hard when laces and tongues involved. A mum recently thought she had listened as the hugh laceup boots had a side zip. What a pain it is even for me to zip it up. Its really tight and tricky, so we're back to me putting on her shoes.
And then gloves. Another pet hate. I walk to and from school every single day. No matter what the weather is. So I have requested all parents provide mittens in a fine knit as their walking child needs to be able to hold another child's hand, also wearing a fine knit glove. Well the clumpy, chinky knitted gloves that have arrived after Christmas made me want to weep. So I went to primark and bought half a dozen pairs of mittens. 3 for 99p. And now I'm happy and the children can all put these little mittens on themselves. They stay at my house. I'll move on to gloves, maybe, after february half term.

I have gloves of my own to use.

I have one in the boots you describe and I cringed when I saw them but I make the child do them up and she does now for me but not for mum!

clareelizabeth1
13-01-2016, 02:31 PM
You mean none of you have a no lace up shoe policy i have them under my not allowed section right along side white clothes. If parents insist on sending them in white clothes or lace up we then have a very messy day and i never see said items of clothing again.

Maza
13-01-2016, 11:23 PM
I hate putting on my own converse trainers! DH always moans that I am taking too long whenever I decide to wear them.

Yes, gloves...I had one who used to come in a very expensive pair of ski gloves and I was paranoid that he would lose one when out with me. I got him to wear my daughter's old pair when he was out with me.

mama2three
14-01-2016, 07:50 AM
I hate mittens - yes gloves are more difficult to get on - but we spend so long outside in the forest exploring and mittens are next to useless when the lo's are playing and trying to use their hands!!! especially those ridiculous ski style mittens , warm hands but unable to do anything at all!

mumofone
14-01-2016, 08:44 AM
I hate mittens - yes gloves are more difficult to get on - but we spend so long outside in the forest exploring and mittens are next to useless when the lo's are playing and trying to use their hands!!! especially those ridiculous ski style mittens , warm hands but unable to do anything at all!

How do you keep the hands warm of really little ones where they take any mittens or gloves off? Or they just fall off?

loocyloo
14-01-2016, 09:25 AM
How do you keep the hands warm of really little ones where they take any mittens or gloves off? Or they just fall off?

You put a pair of socks up the arm over the elbow and then put the coat on. You can buy mittens that go over the elbow in Scandinavia :-)

BallyH
14-01-2016, 09:32 AM
You put a pair of socks up the arm over the elbow and then put the coat on. You can buy mittens that go over the elbow in Scandinavia :-)

If they are in my pram/buggy I also but my boys old socks on over their coat sleeves right up to their elbows. It's quite cute really. I use the padded winter socks with the sucky things on the soles. Get lots of comments 'oh I remember doing that etc'. Some spend the whole journey trying to remove them but haven't managed yet.