PDA

View Full Version : Next steps for UTW

mumofone
10-01-2016, 09:55 AM
Hi I'm struggling with next steps for understanding the world for a 4 year old....any inspiration anyone? Thank you! :-)

bunyip
10-01-2016, 10:53 AM
Their 'next step' is going to be relative to where they're at right now.

Btw, is this a pre-school 4yo or are they in reception class?

mumofone
10-01-2016, 11:41 AM
Their 'next step' is going to be relative to where they're at right now. Btw, is this a pre-school 4yo or are they in reception class?

Pre school...

bunyip
10-01-2016, 11:49 AM
Pre school...

Ok. So you figure out their 'next step' on the basis of what abilities and achievements s/he has demonstrated to date in UTW. This should be recorded in his/her baseline assessment, plus the already stratospheric progress made under your fair tutelage. :thumbsup:

Use Development Matters, EY Outcomes or some other approved developmental milestones chart to figure where s/he should be heading next.

(Edited to clarify the difference between "otter" and "other": the earlier mistaken reference to water-based mammals being the result of catching dyslexia from Mrs bunyip. :p)

FloraDora
10-01-2016, 11:52 AM
Pre school...

Every pre school child is different. It isn't the age of the child that matters when setting next steps it's where the child is in his learning / progress. Assess through observing, establish what they are secure in, you then know what their next steps are to enable them to make progress in an area. Often other curriculum area inform you too, there is lots of cross curricular in the Early Years. If looking at the ELO then start at the age in months that the children are at then you can go to the age range below or above depending on their ability.

crumpet54
10-01-2016, 12:41 PM
Give us example of what the child is currently 'at' what have you recently observed and what the child's interests are and then we may be able to help.
Next steps need to be relevant to that child.

mumofone
10-01-2016, 02:45 PM
Give us example of what the child is currently 'at' what have you recently observed and what the child's interests are and then we may be able to help. Next steps need to be relevant to that child.

Yep, sorry, posted this in a rush this morning whilst it was on my mind! Will post again later with more details! ....

mumofone
10-01-2016, 10:39 PM
ok, sorry, so child is 4 years old (48 months!) and I have them as having reached/achieved the age range of 30-50 months as per EYO when i last tracked them in relation to EYO at the end of last year.

to get to 40-60 months for UTW for people and communities they need to "enjoy joinng in with family customs and routines" - how do you define this and how do I know?!

for 40-60 months for "The world" they have to "look closely at similarities, differences, patterns and change" but I have no idea what this means?!!

and for technology for 40-60 months they have to be able to "complete a simple program on a computer and interact with age appropriate computer software", they don't do any computer related stuff here with me (I have a laptop they could use but not sure they'd have the first clue what to do?!) so do i just ask parents what they do at home computer wise?

Sorry if i sound really dumb but i find the other areas of learning slightly easier but understanding the world i feel is quite hard to pin down. Personally, i feel they have a good grasp of the word etc around them, they seem to know a lot and ask lots of questions but this doesn't directly correlate to EYO...does that make sense?!

natlou82
11-01-2016, 06:57 AM
OK anyone feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong on this. I'm just going with my take and what I would do:

Family traditions / customs - talk to child about their Christmas. How did they celebrate? Did they have Christmas Dinner? Watch the queens speech etc. Did the child enjoy what they did with their family? Perhaps mum or dad could txt/whatsapp some photos and you could put them in LJ. Does the family celebrate anything else or have certain traditions?

The world - lots of exploring, animals, nature, seasons. You can do investigations on nature walks or in your garden looking at changes and similarities. Bird watches, bug hunts, caterpillars, leaves on trees, I'm sure you could find learning games on these things also. Look at factual books together. Obviously some of my ideas aren't seasonal atm. But a good start would be Winter and changes that happen - a winter nature walk would be perfect.

Tech - I don't do a lot here either as my personal belief is that they get plenty at home. Can they operate a CD player / DVD player etc at yours? I would get feedback from parents on this one.

Hope this helps

crumpet54
11-01-2016, 08:37 AM
OK anyone feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong on this. I'm just going with my take and what I would do:

Family traditions / customs - talk to child about their Christmas. How did they celebrate? Did they have Christmas Dinner? Watch the queens speech etc. Did the child enjoy what they did with their family? Perhaps mum or dad could txt/whatsapp some photos and you could put them in LJ. Does the family celebrate anything else or have certain traditions?

The world - lots of exploring, animals, nature, seasons. You can do investigations on nature walks or in your garden looking at changes and similarities. Bird watches, bug hunts, caterpillars, leaves on trees, I'm sure you could find learning games on these things also. Look at factual books together. Obviously some of my ideas aren't seasonal atm. But a good start would be Winter and changes that happen - a winter nature walk would be perfect.

Tech - I don't do a lot here either as my personal belief is that they get plenty at home. Can they operate a CD player / DVD player etc at yours? I would get feedback from parents on this one.

Hope this helps
I would say all those that natlou has suggested and also -,
- maybe also to add to the tech, could they take photos on a camera, maybe upload it to the instant picture machines you find in asda then they could print them off themselves, (you could take photos whilst on the nature walk etc?)

Simona
11-01-2016, 09:13 AM
Natlou...spot on
What you are doing is looking at 'the steps' a child can take to get to the ELG...you are also looking across at EE and PR

Mumofone...the 40-60 bracket is actually an Early Learning Goal
By looking at EYO you are seeing the 'outcome' but not how you can observe, assess if that child has reached that goal
If you used DM...or any other comprehensive CD chart... that would answer your questions on how you would help this child achieve the goals.

Also you are looking at a very 'broad age range'....30-50 or 40-60...a lot can happen in the space of 18-20 months!
A child may show he/she is exceeding in one area but kind of 'expected or emerging' in others....so you basically use DM as an over-arching development chart...all areas are connected and all learning will eventually click into place

I would really broadly concentrate on the child's age...he/she is 4 years old
When it comes to the ELG...which are in bold in DM...just observe and assess but those areas will be covered by the Reception teacher when your child enters that phase...make sure your final assessment is given to her.

When it comes to IT ...this covers a huge amount of opportunities children can have to learn and use
IT is not just computers
By using a mobile phone a child will have completed the full task...or by using a CD player or tv....so not just computers

BallyH
11-01-2016, 12:54 PM
You could use these excellant examples for your other post 'priorities for improvements'.

FloraDora
11-01-2016, 01:30 PM
Perhaps mum or dad could txt/whatsapp some photos and you could put them in LJ. Does the family celebrate anything else or have certain traditions?

Good ideas Natlou .
i don't know how to save photos from what's app into my photo folder on phone?! As I only receive photos via what's app from the parents on my phone I need to be able to save them into photos and then transfer to my external hardrive via the appleMac - I don't like to keep photos on my phone/ iPad/ computer of the children I store them on an external harddrive that is not stored near computers etc..as part of my data protection. Can you help?

natlou82
11-01-2016, 04:31 PM
What phone do you have Floradora? It is very easy to transfer from whatsapp to photos. There's a square with arrow icon you can click on and then choose save and then you will have a copy in your photos. I'm not sure on other phones but I should imagine that you can do it. I then order my photos via the free prints app and delete from my phone without transferring the photos to my laptop.

BallyH
11-01-2016, 05:03 PM
What phone do you have Floradora? It is very easy to transfer from whatsapp to photos. There's a square with arrow icon you can click on and then choose save and then you will have a copy in your photos. I'm not sure on other phones but I should imagine that you can do it. I then order my photos via the free prints app and delete from my phone without transferring the photos to my laptop.

Natlou82 many thanks for sharing your wisdom. I didn't know this.

FloraDora
11-01-2016, 05:53 PM

Wow- it's dead easy when someone tells you how - I had pressed the box and arrow but didn't try save ????? I need to update my confidence in phones! I've saved all the photos a parent has sent, then transferred from phone to hard drive via Apple Mac computer .

Thankyou so much.

bunyip
11-01-2016, 07:13 PM
Absolutely what Natlou said.

This is very often down to having good communication with parents about what they do at home, especially around family.

As far as ICT goes, I do very little with the children that gets close to computer work. But there are plenty of other ways they can use technology, from learning to bang the rocks together, to helping use the self-serve checkout or automated book issue at the public library.

UTW can be covered by simply noting the sort of things you'd expect a child to learn under simple topics such as:-

The world around me
The natural world
The built environment
Society
Community
Family
Traditions/customs/cultures
Science
Technology
Man-made stuff

bunyip
11-01-2016, 07:21 PM
Sorry Mo1, I should've added the following, more specific to your reply.

You can "look closely at similarities, differences, patterns and change" in relation to:
Nature, seasons, cultures, belief systems, families, places where we live, properties of things (eg. liquids/solids), etc. etc.

Bear in mind this developmental age/stage will overlap with reception year at school, so don't feel you have to have the whole thing done and dusted before they enter reception class: far from it. This is particularly useful if, like me, you know school is far better equipped to do the whole computer thing.

mumofone
11-01-2016, 08:08 PM

Hope this helps

thanks natlou, thats really helpful. Ill get feedback from parents on the tech bit.
We do do nature walks and stuff like looking at seasons.
And that makes sense about the family traditions part too.
Thank you! :-)

mumofone
11-01-2016, 08:09 PM
I would say all those that natlou has suggested and also -,
- maybe also to add to the tech, could they take photos on a camera, maybe upload it to the instant picture machines you find in asda then they could print them off themselves, (you could take photos whilst on the nature walk etc?)

Thanks crumpet, cameras a good idea :-)