PDA

View Full Version : Don't think childminding is for me?!

childcare86
09-01-2016, 10:14 PM
Hi Everyone! I am a newly registered childminder...have been minding for 5 months now. I only have 3 part timers at the moment as well as my own 4 year old.

The concern I have is that I'm not enjoying childminding. I get lonely, constantly worry that I am not doing enough/good enough job & I'm not sleeping due to stress. I am also feeling like I have passed the screaming toddler stage & I am not sure I really want to be in sole charge. My daughter is finding it hard sharing me (I have an older son, he is 6).

I also find in really intrusive & struggle to swith off 😕

All in all I don't think childminding is for me but still want to work in the childcare area.

Has anyone felt the same?? Im feeling pretty low atm. Thank you!

moggy
10-01-2016, 02:32 PM
Sounds like you need to find some good childminding colleagues- good company, good for off-loading to understanding ears, if you compare ways of working you may find ways to switch off or keep CMing more separate to family life? Have you looked and asked around for any local group? Children and Family Centre might help- we are usually a friendly bunch and ypu might find a few other new-reg minders who are in the same boat.

You own 4 year old will be at school in Sept? Things are very different when you don't have your own child home all day- is term-time only financially viable for you, that way you will minimize impact of CMing on your own school-age children.

I have found CMing has paid off over the years- to be able to pick up my children from school, go to their school plays (mindees come too), be there at sports day, be able to take my child to an appointment without taking time off work (mindees come to orthodontist with us), not having to pay childcare or have to put my own children in childcare... for me it all adds up to a positive for CMing. But, if you are sure it is not that for you, maybe you can keep your registration for a while and see what else is out there? There have been CMers leave for nursery/pre-school/teaching jobs from this forum... but the grass is not always greener.

BallyH
10-01-2016, 03:50 PM
Yes it is hard. Yes it can be lonely. Yes it can be intrusive on your own family but there are a lot of positives. As already suggested, finding other cm's and chatting to them may lighten your load. We all to through a wobbly period but I have found chatting about it makes me see it from another angle. Try to get out more. Even walking through the town or park or woods near to you you may find you see the same faces and may build up a friendship or two there. I often, accidentially, end up in the play park with other mums and we just get chatting (general chat never cm 'stuff') plus my lo's all love us stopping and talking to the numerous dog walkers. I find those short pleasant conversations can make a difference to what otherwise could be a long child company day. Plus, with it being winter and we've all just finished our lovely warm family Christmases it is always hard to get back into the swing of things. Maybe give yourself till May half term and then if it's not what you want then leave. Best of luck. Keep reading this forum. We are your virtual friends.

loocyloo
10-01-2016, 04:22 PM
Hello,

it is hard, it is lonely as others have said, but it has huge benefits too as we are able to be at home with our own children and be part of their lives.

it is also hard on your children as they learn to share not just you, but their home and their toys. ( my children always kept 'their' toys separate, and I had 'my' toys that minded children played with. over time, my children have given me their old toys ( and my DD ( 10 !!! ) seems to borrow my toys - especially the dolls/soft toys/small world bits! )

I moved 4 yrs ago and knew nobody. it was very hard and I was lonely. but I made a point of going to toddler groups ( at that point I didn't even have any mindees! ) and chatting to people, and talking to everyone and anyone I met! just about anything, not just CM. There are only a few childminders in my area ( about 9 in a 25/30 mile radius! ) but we try and meet up each month or so, and talk by text or email! I've also made some good friends through the forum who I manage to meet occasionally. I make sure I get out and about everyday with the minded children, and we talk to everyone!

I too find it hard to switch off from cm, and so joined a dance class and a choir, and I find that those 2 hours/evenings a week mean I have to stop and do something else, and talk to other people!

good luck, and take care. I would still give it time. the first year in any job is always the hardest - next year you'll be thinking ' oh yes, in December we made XYZ, and everyone enjoyed the Christmas playdough, I'll do that again '

xxx

crumpet54
11-01-2016, 02:22 PM
Where abouts are you? Maybe there is someone on here that is local? It can be very lonely.