PDA

View Full Version : OFSTED registration fee to rise

Simona
08-01-2016, 05:40 PM
Ofsted childcare fees set to rise | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1155429/ofsted-childcare-fees-set-to-rise)

FloraDora
08-01-2016, 06:18 PM
Ofsted childcare fees set to rise | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1155429/ofsted-childcare-fees-set-to-rise)

We need a 'don't like' button! I like that you have signposted this article Simona - not that the fees will be increased at some point!

Simona
08-01-2016, 07:01 PM
We need a 'don't like' button! I like that you have signposted this article Simona - not that the fees will be increased at some point!

This is the closest we can get to 'not like' :angry:

Also :mad: as it throws 'affordable childcare' in a spin

I was kind of expecting this announcement since the govt has cut Ofsted's budget and announced it before Christmas when we were otherwise engaged...I think the cut is £40 million if I recall correctly...so very nice of Gyimah to tell us this rise won't be too painful ...ouch!!:(

rickysmiths
08-01-2016, 07:28 PM
The fees for cm back in 2001 were meant to be £93 per year and NCMA negotiated the fee down quite rightly. However it was then supposed to gradually increase and that never happened sadly because if it had we would all be paying a more realistic fee now instead of the kind of increase we now face being a shock.

However if you think they thought £93 was the fee 15 years ago the rise is going to be hard but still a lower % of our earnings than £93 would have been for all of us then. It is the price we pay to remain independent businesses rather than part of and governed by and dictated to by an Agency.

natlou82
08-01-2016, 08:50 PM
Before I saw this thread I was just discussing agencies with hubby and that a rise in our ofsted fee will be inevitable. As Rickysmiths said there will be a price to pay for staying independent, and I for one still believe it will be worth it. I have just received an email invite to the briefing on the agency registered in my area. I will be attending and will keep you in the loop of what I hear. If mamatothree is reading this I'll be interested to know if you are attending to (I know you spoke of this agency a while ago on here) as it would be great to meet up.

Simona
08-01-2016, 08:59 PM
RS...first of all we do not know what the increase will be so difficult to say it will be a 'shock'....let's wait and see what the increase is then debate, digest and reflect
Will the govt risk more cms leaving because of high costs to deliver affordable childcare? Affordable to whom?

Gyimah is dangling a rather non juicy carrot in front of our eyes ....as is his style...banker that he is at heart! He fools no one!

2001 is a long time ago and I recall being part of that debate...cms were treated 'differently' and our fee remained very low...times have changed in my view.

Compared £35 for a cm currently on both registers against £104 for a cm just on the childcare register...that is an anomaly
We need to be treated equally...that is unfortunately the way we need to look at it

Ofsted Registration fees go up...that means our fees go up...that is sustainability so I hope cms will keep that in mind when regularly reviewing their fees!

Simona
09-01-2016, 08:55 AM
Before I saw this thread I was just discussing agencies with hubby and that a rise in our ofsted fee will be inevitable. As Rickysmiths said there will be a price to pay for staying independent, and I for one still believe it will be worth it. I have just received an email invite to the briefing on the agency registered in my area. I will be attending and will keep you in the loop of what I hear. If mamatothree is reading this I'll be interested to know if you are attending to (I know you spoke of this agency a while ago on here) as it would be great to meet up.

Natlou...I read your message last night and then I remembered this:
It was Ofsted Wilshaw himself who said a couple of years ago...maybe a bit longer.... 'cms are too expensive to register and inspect'

The immediate response from Cms was: 'our fee needs to be reviewed, many agreed' it was set too low and not increased at all for cms for years and years....somewhere in this forum's archive there will be discussions and threads and our calculations....tere are also dozens of blogs written on the subject!

The result of Wilshaw's wisdom was Truss' idea of agencies...they definitely save money to Ofsted...we know what it costs to inspect 1 CM and we know what it costs to inspect an agency...definitely a 'win win' situation for Ofsted who pushed agencies with all its might.

So all I am doing is just asking cms to be alert, not go down the route of thinking we need special treatment and be seen as different....in this instance
As said before this is a great opportunity for CMs to 'rethink' their business sustainability because of the many changes including WTC, Living Wage and funding review and looking at Gyimah's message it seems this is what we need to do: this is the Golden age of Childcare according to our Minister!

mumofone
09-01-2016, 11:40 AM
Just to confirm I'm on the early years and childcare register, at current prices how much should I have paid? I wouldn't have my registration certificate if I hadn't paid the right amount would I? Just can't recall how much I paid...

Simona
09-01-2016, 12:07 PM
Just to confirm I'm on the early years and childcare register, at current prices how much should I have paid? I wouldn't have my registration certificate if I hadn't paid the right amount would I? Just can't recall how much I paid...

Ofsted will invoice you each year and you should have paid £35
You can pay in different ways and enter the amount in your books as an allowable expense and keep that receipt in your records as evidence of payment.

mumofone
09-01-2016, 03:49 PM
Ofsted will invoice you each year and you should have paid £35 You can pay in different ways and enter the amount in your books as an allowable expense and keep that receipt in your records as evidence of payment.

Thanks Simona, Yep I paid £35, phew! I thought I'd missed a payment somehow and started to panic!

Simona
16-01-2016, 09:47 AM
I suppose it is worth reminding ourselves that the Ofsted fee is set by the DfE not Ofsted itself?

teacake2
17-01-2016, 05:23 PM
I have just renewed mine at £35 and thankfully this will be my last one as I am now on countdown to finishing, so another thing less to worry about.
Teacake2

mumofone
17-01-2016, 07:55 PM
I have just renewed mine at £35 and thankfully this will be my last one as I am now on countdown to finishing, so another thing less to worry about. Teacake2

Such a shame to see people leaving childminding :-( How come you're stopping teacake?

Simona
18-01-2016, 10:21 AM
I have just renewed mine at £35 and thankfully this will be my last one as I am now on countdown to finishing, so another thing less to worry about.
Teacake2

Last time for you Teacake...who knows what the next fee will be eh!

Hope all goes well in whatever you choose to do...soooo many really good Cms are leaving...there should be a humangeous party to mourn their loss and celebrate their contribution! they will be sorely missed

Good luck!

teacake2
18-01-2016, 10:02 PM
I am officially retiring from childminding, I am in my early 60s and have been minding for 32 years so enough is enough. My last mindee only comes 4 afternoons a week and will be starting school in September. I will still be looking after my Granddaughter though. I was trying to cut down on hours anyway but she comes to me 9 hours a day Mon-Fri and usually at least one day at the weekend. Glutton for punishment me.
Teacake2

Simona
20-01-2016, 10:20 AM
I am now aware that the DfE intends to consult with us on the rise in Ofsted fees as Gyimah has announced this.

Keep your eyes open for that consultation ...this statement will clarify quite a few things.

''In a letter sent to early years organisations, the minister stated “…many providers have faced increases in operating costs and, for this reason, we have resisted any fee increased over the course of the last parliament” adding that “I remain convinced that government should continue to subsidise the cost of Ofsted fees paid by childcare providers; but with a growing economy and fee increases across other sectors, we can no longer delay revisiting this area”.